Silver Explorer Antarctica, Falklands, S Georgia

sunset sails

I read somewhere that bathrobes are provided. I called SS to inquire if binoculars were provided and I was delighted when they said YES ! Yippee one less thing to lug. One thing I caught is that the voltage onboard is 220 so we need to bring our universal converter.

I don't know if the weight limit will be strictly enforced or not. But one of my workarounds is to wear the parka and my heavy hiking boots instead of packing them. Then just stow the parka in the overhead bin or under the seat. And you can put all sorts of things in the pockets.

Go to Ushuaia from BA nothing was checked. SS agents took the luggage and gave everyone boarding passes. Even my 25pound hand luggage (all cameras) drew zero attention.

On way back just the opposite. Gave me a hard time on hand luggage So took all the heavy stuff out handed it to my DW and had the bag weighed got the cabin sticker and back went the lenses into the carry on. Criticism goes to SS since the put up with this garbage from the airline. it is a charter and is only 66% full.

Interesting Paul. It does seem strange as obviously (in our case) you're on an 18 day expedition cruise, not like you were just hanging out in Ushuaia . Being only 66% full it couldn't have been about the jet approaching maximum weight limit. Guess the Representative on the return flight was just informing their "Policy".

• 2 weeks later...

Was going to bring some Argentine pesos along for use in BA (cabs, etc.). But Argentina had a major devaluation of their currency about 10 days ago (went from <10/dollar to 13/dollar!). And I've found the 3 banks in town where I can get foreign currency will not deal in Argentine pesos now. Neither will forex firm Travelex.

So will use US$ in BA. And I'm guessing they'd rather have hard currency US dollars than their own pesos, given what's recently happened!

Yes Gnld, this is the most recent article I read regarding Argentina Pesos:

Currency Exchange

With the December 2015 election, the new President has lifted currency controls and the official rate has gone up (or should say slid) to about 14/US$. The blue rate still exists, but the spread is only about 1 peso. Thus getting money exchanged on the street (which can be risky) is not as profitable as previously.

Thus this following paragraph is no longer applicable, but was accurate in March.

Contrary to what you may have read elsewhere, DO NOT exchange $ US for Argentine pesos at the airport, or anywhere else for that matter. As of 1 March 2015 the official bank and credit card rate was just over 8 to the dollar. The "blue market" money changers in the street gave 11 (but keep an eye out for counterfeits). The hotel front desk gave 11, but many merchants gave 12 on purchases. Most businesses don't take credit cards, or only do so reluctantly, because of the exchange rate difference. The currency preferred by most locals is the $ US, followed by Euros. If you aren't an American, exchange your currency for $ US before you go to Argentina.

The current inflation rate in Argentina is about 40%, so all numbers quoted here are "subject to change without notice."

Edited by petlover