So much for "no last minute discounting"

I am posting as I read that RCCL was no longer dropping prices last minute. We booked on Nov 11, 2015 for a Dec 23, 2015 12 night sailing. Of course we were within final payment and paid in fill. Since booking/paying, the cruise has dropped twice, once THREE days after booking (so no 48 hour guarantee) and then again this weekend for a total drop of $1,100 in 12 days for the two of us for our balcony guarantee cabin.

I don't expect any sympathy, this post was for info only. I know it could have gone up as well. We were satisfied with the price we paid or we would not have booked. Hoping now that the JS drops as well and perhaps we will upgrade.

Just a heads up for those who want to gamble and can book last minute. If you wait, you may get a sweet deal on a cabin.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

What they said was they would not drop prices anymore if they had already been discounted at 10,20,or 30 days out. Which means if the cat has not been discounted it would be subject to be discounted up to 10 days out

Your first drop was outside of the 30 days.

Happens to all of us if you cruise enough

Edited by setsail

I am posting as I read that RCCL was no longer dropping prices last minute. We booked on Nov 11, 2015 for a Dec 23, 2015 12 night sailing. Of course we were within final payment and paid in fill. Since booking/paying, the cruise has dropped twice, once THREE days after booking (so no 48 hour guarantee) and then again this weekend for a total drop of $1,100 in 12 days for the two of us for our balcony guarantee cabin.

I don't expect any sympathy, this post was for info only. I know it could have gone up as well. We were satisfied with the price we paid or we would not have booked. Hoping now that the JS drops as well and perhaps we will upgrade.

Just a heads up for those who want to gamble and can book last minute. If you wait, you may get a sweet deal on a cabin.

M

Upgrade to W guarantee. That went way down too.

Thanks for posting. I know it's annoying when you're "stuck". Hopefully they drop enough to upgrade?

I'm still watching the one I mentioned the other day. Still close to 40 balcony cabins available and no discounting (in fact, still too high to begin with) Less that 20 days out now. Maybe there's hope!

i normally never look at pricing after final payment because no good comes from it :) however, on one of my upcoming dec cruises i wanted to see if the prices dropped enough for me to upgrade to a js - and success! So i am one happy camper.

dont you mean one happy cruiser

It still happens but not as frequent as 2013.. I do bookmark all my upcoming cruises in my profile to monitor the price...

And all of my 5 cruises I took this year, none has dropped after final payment.

Only one has dropped big 3 months prior to final payment as it is a one way less sellable repositioning cruise... but it went up again a week after...

So given my experience, it is still not advisable to wait for the last minute with a hope of a huge drop with RCCL if you have a specific cruise in mind.