Princess shore tours??

bazzaw

I have never done a shore tour through Princess before - I just "reserved" a tour and was partly expecting to have to pay for it immediately - however the system took my reservation and said that I could "optionally" pay before departing.

I can't see much reason to pay before receiving the tour??? - so just wondering if the reservation is "secure" without having pre-paid for it????

Barry

If you have reserved the tour on the personaliser that is fine. What will happen is that the cost of the tour will be charged to your ship board account. If you later decide to cancel the tour you can generally do so up to 48hrs before the tour leaves without penalty. Tickets for the tours will be placed in your stateroom by the steward within a day or so of boarding the ship.

Although ship tours can be expensive compared to diy I've actually felt some of the ones we have done were good value and took us into places we would not otherwise have been able to visit had we done our own shore tours.

Edited by ozziepost

I don't see the point either. If I take a princess excursion (normally I organise private tours) I book well in advance of cruising to ensure I get the excursion I want. I don't like paying so far in advance in case plans change.

However, some people like to strictly budget what they are doing and have everything paid for and sorted before cruising. In this case, it still does not really matter (unless you were not going to spend a single cent on board) as if you cancel outside of 5 days to your cruise, they will refund your money. If you cancel within 5 days of your cruise, they will add it to your on board ship account (assuming it's not outside the cancellation period for the cruise, which is usually posted on your confirmation - about 24hours generally by memory).

Yes, it's secure. Some people like to pay in advance so they've started offering that option. I'd rather wait until we're onboard. That way if that port is cancelled for any reason or we decide we don't want to do that excursion after all it's no hassle (as long as you cancel in time).

• 4 weeks later...

We found it quite good to be able to pay in advance in this case; Mum & I are cruising for Christmas/ New Years & my sister just 'bought' us a shore tour as a Christmas present. Meant she didn't have to search through the shops for something we might not have liked.

On another note, this is my first cruise with Princess (I've cruised with P&O 5 times), but one thing I really noticed is how little choices there are on shoretours with Princess compared to with P&O. I'm not sure if it is just our cruise or all Princess cruises (because they do cater to a slightly older demographic), but does anyone know why? (We are on the Dawn Princess that cruises out on MONDAY :D:D:D:D)

We found it quite good to be able to pay in advance in this case; Mum & I are cruising for Christmas/ New Years & my sister just 'bought' us a shore tour as a Christmas present. Meant she didn't have to search through the shops for something we might not have liked.

On another note, this is my first cruise with Princess (I've cruised with P&O 5 times), but one thing I really noticed is how little choices there are on shoretours with Princess compared to with P&O. I'm not sure if it is just our cruise or all Princess cruises (because they do cater to a slightly older demographic), but does anyone know why? (We are on the Dawn Princess that cruises out on MONDAY :D:D:D:D)

I haven't compared tours available with both lines, but it might depend on the itinerary. If anything, I think older people would be more inclined to book ships' tours rather than do an independent tour.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I actually thought the opposite (only one P&O cruise so limited comparison) but on similar itineraries more tours offered on Princess.

Being my first cruise I booked and paid for my shore excursions via princess before my trip just felt easier to do that next time I might do one or two and do private ones or none at all if I do nz again via a cruise I'll wait and see

Being my first cruise I booked and paid for my shore excursions via princess before my trip just felt easier to do that next time I might do one or two and do private ones or none at all if I do nz again via a cruise I'll wait and see

It is good to have options like the ships tours as sometimes it is really the only way to do and see some things.

We have several ways of seeing ports:

• Ship tour,;
  • Private tour that I have organised;
  • Private tour that someone from CC organised;
  • Walk off and see what is offered on shore;
  • Walk around on our own; and
  • Stay aboard and take advantage of the empty ship.

Which option is chosen depends on the port, if we have been there before, if it is tendered, etc.

It is good to have options like the ships tours as sometimes it is really the only way to do and see some things.

We have several ways of seeing ports:

• Ship tour,;
  • Private tour that I have organised;
  • Private tour that someone from CC organised;
  • Walk off and see what is offered on shore;
  • Walk around on our own; and
  • Stay aboard and take advantage of the empty ship.

Which option is chosen depends on the port, if we have been there before, if it is tendered, etc.

Pretty much how we do it too.

Have you told Princess, you may qualify for Platinum Status with Princess as P&O cruises count towards their loyalty program.:D

when you fill in the personalizer it should have your status but if not a quick call to princess will fix it up

Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea it would qualify :) I'll give Princess a call today :)

As Bob said, your Personalizer for your booking on this cruise will show your status (blue, gold, ruby, platinum, black). I suggest you check this first. If it shows you as 'blue', then phone Princess and ask to speak to the Captains' Circle section. It would help if you have details of your P&O cruises, but they are able to access the system and see what cruises you have done. Their system would go back a couple of decades. For older cruises, you have to supply proof yourself. :)

As Bob said, your Personalizer for your booking on this cruise will show your status (blue, gold, ruby, platinum, black). I suggest you check this first. If it shows you as 'blue', then phone Princess and ask to speak to the Captains' Circle section. It would help if you have details of your P&O cruises, but they are able to access the system and see what cruises you have done. Their system would go back a couple of decades. For older cruises, you have to supply proof yourself. :)

Thanks everyone!! When I printed my boarding pass a couple of days ago it definitely said Blue, but I just logged in just now & it says Platinum so now I just need to reprint my 'priority check in' boarding pass :) Wooohoooo!!! Thanks for all the replies guys really appreciate the heads up!

Thanks everyone!! When I printed my boarding pass a couple of days ago it definitely said Blue, but I just logged in just now & it says Platinum so now I just need to reprint my 'priority check in' boarding pass :) Wooohoooo!!! Thanks for all the replies guys really appreciate the heads up!

Congratulations. You will get free internet on board. :)

Happy to have helped and so glad you have it sorted. Platinum will get you a few things, the lounge and some free internet is my favourites, but I do not think they have the lounge on the Dawn.

I was told it takes a few days after you book for other line cruises to migrate across.