Carribean: Big differences between islands or all the same?

cruise4parents

We have been on so many cruises, and to many different islands ... while there are some differences, they mainly are all the same. To me, anyway.

Totally agree. If you want to learn about the island, you can't do it in an afternoon. We've spent a week on PR, a week on St. Martin (stayed at Club Orient), 2 weeks week in Jamaica (1 week at Hedo III). Really got to know the islands.

Totally agree. If you want to learn about the island, you can't do it in an afternoon. We've spent a week on PR, a week on St. Martin (stayed at Club Orient), 2 weeks week in Jamaica (1 week at Hedo III). Really got to know the islands.

Where did you stay when you went to PR? we are looking into a week long trip there. thanks!

I agree with this post, but would add one more big point for me THEY ALL HAVE A DEPRESSED ECOMONY.

While I haven't been to all the Islands, I have been to Jamaica, Puerto Rico, St. Martin, & St. Thomas. And the Caribbean holds no charm for me. When I spend my vacation dollars, I don't want to see terrible poverty or vendors chasing after me in my face/actually following me from store to store.

I had no interest in going to the beach and I didn't feel safe just walking around.

The islands you mention are the most tourist oriented in the Caribbean. So many of the smaller islands, e.g. Bonaire, southern Caribbean, Turks, as examples are totally different from Jamaica.

After visiting a good many islands, there is very little difference. We're 73 & 70 - we head for the beach. On St. Martin we go to Club Orient. All you need is sunscreen and a smile - we've been going to clothing optional beaches/resorts for about 30 years and Club Orient (not just Orient Beach) is one of the best.

While I have to agree with you on Club O, I do think there are significant differences on the various Islands, if you look for them. If you are just going to get off of the ship and walk around close to where the ship docks, then they will be all about the same. But if you do some research ahead of time and get away from the area surrounding the piers, there is enough difference in Geology, culture and atmosphere that makes each Island unique.

Where did you stay when you went to PR? we are looking into a week long trip there. thanks!

We stayed in a time share - Hyatt Doraddo Beach. It was a bit of a drive from San Juan. The hotel had closed and just the adjoining time share was open. It was about 2006 or 2007 No wait to play golf. We liked it because of the secluded beaches - there is nothing like walking on the beach wearing only sunscreen and a smile. BTW I'm 73 & my bride of almost 52 years is 70. We've been naturists for about 53 years.

We went to the rain forest, the fort & old town, Bacardi's and did a lot of snorkeling. Spent a day just driving around the island.