Car Rental - San Diego

notentirelynormal

The problem is we will have a mobility scooter with us. I don't want to spend an hour just getting a rental that's why I was asking about close by or will come to you. Plus another hour returning it.

I know the airport is only 4 miles away and that might be what we have to end up doing.

Do you all have to go to rent the car? Could the driver go earlier and pick everybody up? Even those that pick up up don't rent on the spot you have to go back to their office to complete the paperwork.

Edited by SadieN

Do you all have to go to rent the car? Could the driver go earlier and pick everybody up? Even those that pick up up don't rent on the spot you have to go back to their office to complete the paperwork.

Why not send the driver earlier . The same thing should probably be done with a closer office.

The driver can then meet people just outside the gate.

Yes, I could (and might have to) do it that way but again, that adds an hour at the beginning and end of the day. Get the taxi, ride to car rental, wait in line, get car, drive to pier and pick everyone up. Reverse at end of day. I don't see it happening in less than 45-60 minutes. I was looking for not wasting 2 hours of our time in San Diego. That decreases a lot of time in port by. I was looking for a way around.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Even if you found one closer . Only the driver is usually requested to go to the office to pick up the vehicle.

I know, I know. Deep in my heart I know the answer but I so don't want it to be not be true LOL. I was hoping to hear from a local with a "happiness angel" for an instant happy reply.

It might be easier and cheaper to book a taxi to said place and rent a scooter. My mother lives in Carlsbad but driving downtown might be too much for her. Trying to put it all together.

Just for the record, I spent many a summer in the "Interior" as a child. 100 mile house was a favorite. Ticks, got to love them.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Call the Wyndham that's across from the pier and see if they have a rental counter on site.

There's an Avis in Little Italy. You could walk there.

All the hotels around the convention center have Hertz desks on site.

Enterprise will pick you up (or so they say in their ads).

Call the Wyndham that's across from the pier and see if they have a rental counter on site.

There's an Avis in Little Italy. You could walk there.

All the hotels around the convention center have Hertz desks on site.

Enterprise will pick you up (or so they say in their ads).

I'll give this angle a try and let you know how it works. Not today though :D as I'm taking my Christmas gifts to Monrovia for shipping to Seattle. Today is the last day for bulk shipments (my DD works at a shipping place).

Thanks everyone for their ideas.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've decided to rent a car from Alamo at the airport pickup location. It is apparently a mile walk to the airport from the pier. Neither I or DH can do that walk so I either have to use my scooter and use precious battery or take a taxi. Using the battery isn't the best choice because then I will run low on battery at SeaWorld. Does anyone know the price of a taxi from pier to the airport? Is it a flat rate?

Yes, I could (and might have to) do it that way but again, that adds an hour at the beginning and end of the day. Get the taxi, ride to car rental, wait in line, get car, drive to pier and pick everyone up. Reverse at end of day. I don't see it happening in less than 45-60 minutes. I was looking for not wasting 2 hours of our time in San Diego. That decreases a lot of time in port by. I was looking for a way around.

A piece of advice - join the car rental club. We did this when we rented cars in Hawaii. We bypassed the regular line. We either walked right up to the counter or were next in line. The wait in the regular line was at least 45 minutes.

A piece of advice - join the car rental club. We did this when we rented cars in Hawaii. We bypassed the regular line. We either walked right up to the counter or were next in line. The wait in the regular line was at least 45 minutes.

Okay - based on your and Sadie's advice this is what I did today. I made the mistake of booking on Hotwire. Through them Alamo charges a $5 cancellation fee if you pay in advance. My mistake, I paid in advance. Never again. I joined Alamo.

Then I called them and asked them if they had a location closer than the airport. The gave me a number of a location in Little Italy - but it was for Enterprise. So I called Enterprise. Talked to a nice guy. He gave me a rate that was literally double for the same car at Alamo and I told him so. He did some heeing and hawing and came up with a different price. It was $10 more but they will reimburse me for the taxi over to them and drop me off when I returned the van. Since Sadie gave me a $10 quote I figure that makes it a wash. Funny enough, I used the taxi website and they charge $11-$13 for the ride because they add on the airport fee even though there is no airport involved so I'm not sure how that works.

So I'll get off the ship, taxi to the rental place, come back and pick up everyone else including a scooter and wheelchair and head out. Since SeaWorld doesn't open until 10:00 that leaves us a couple of hours beforehand to hop over to Carlsbad and say hi to my mom "great grandma".

Thanks everyone for your help. Who knew that the back yard city was going to be the hardest LOL.

Most if not all of the car rental places near the airport just moved into the new car rental megaplex at the east end of the airport runway during the last week. Most of the other off-site rental lots are closing and will be redeveloped. There are now generic shuttle buses taking people from the airport to this facility, where there will be counters for each of the companies, and cars will be in the multi-storied rental car parking structure. Have not been there yet, but watched them build it. It is about 1 mile north of the port, and you should be able to get a taxi or Uber there from the port.

OP- If I understand correctly, you will be in Santa Barbara then going down to San Diego a few days before your cruise. You are spending a day with your mother who lives in Carlsbad, but you don't want her to drive in downtown SD traffic.

Can she take Amtrak or the Coaster (local transit) down to SD? The depot is 2 blocks from the cruise docks. She could meet you at the docks, it's a 10 minute walk, or there are pedicabs if she's not mobile.

Or, you can take Amtrak from Santa Barbara down to SD, but make a stopover in Carlsbad. Go somewhere other than Sea World, or rent a car there, or drive your mother's car. It's about 30-40 minutes drive time if it's not rush hour.

But maybe I don't understand your plans....