No 3rd person in my suite?

bethgaryb

Booking on Island for Alaska in May. One in our party originally paired up her 9mo child with her grandpa, just to save him a single surcharge. Now he can't go and they will not let the parents have her in their suite. Not a mini suite but a full suite. This makes absolutely no sense. How can a suite not be able to accommodate a baby? Help!!

Booking on Island for Alaska in May. One in our party originally paired up her 9mo child with her grandpa, just to save him a single surcharge. Now he can't go and they will not let the parents have her in their suite. Not a mini suite but a full suite. This makes absolutely no sense. How can a suite not be able to accommodate a baby? Help!!

The cruise is capacity controlled.

They only take so many 3rd and 4th passengers.

Also not all suites have a 3rd berth.

I tried to look at "your" cruise but the Princess site is down for maintenance. You are asking this question for a friend?

There are only 2 cruises in May 2016 on the Island Princess.

Here are a few questions to clarify this post:

Did grandpa have insurance (or was it a non-refundable deposit)?

Was final payment made? (most final payments are 90 days out).

Did you call Princess or your travel agent?

The website was still showing 3rd and 4th person in a suite.

Most suites will accommodate a pack and play. Don't know if Princess has a crib. That may be the issue/none available.

If there are no penalties, have you looked at canceling everything and starting all over on the Island or a different ship?

There are almost no upper berths available on Island after the refit -- they added so many cabins that most of the zones are at capacity with just 2 passengers in a cabin. It's not whether the cabin itself has a third bed, it's whether there's lifeboat capacity in that area of the ship.

There are almost no upper berths available on Island after the refit -- they added so many cabins that most of the zones are at capacity with just 2 passengers in a cabin. It's not whether the cabin itself has a third bed, it's whether there's lifeboat capacity in that area of the ship.

Good point about "zones". A few months ago I went wanted to take advantage of a great promo for an oceanview. There were a couple real close to each other. I talked with Princess and booked one cabin for 2 and tried to book the second cabin nearby for 1. The system would not let the second cabin be booked. The agent explained that the zone/area was at passenger capacity according to their fire codes/capacity etc. This was new to me.

I can imagine that the addition of 150 plus new cabins would really throw off their counts/capacity for 3rd and 4th passengers.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

That can also happen with TA group holds. If their system is showing 4 cabins in a category are empty, but 3 of them are part of a group allotment someone is holding, once someone buys the one remaining cabin, the category shows as sold out. Which is confusing, because you just had your choice of four cabins, but now they're all gone!

Why don't you try cancel the Island voyage and re-book on the Coral Princess or Star Princess. These ships have not had the massive addition of cabins that the Island has had, and they still have all their lounges. With a quick look I did see full suites available on these ships in May 2016 and there is a promo going on.

Why don't you try cancel the Island voyage and re-book on the Coral Princess or Star Princess. These ships have not had the massive addition of cabins that the Island has had, and they still have all their lounges. With a quick look I did see full suites available on these ships in May 2016 and there is a promo going on.

Yes, good idea. That's what I was going to suggest. Good luck, all.