Gran Canaria on a sunday in February!!

ann141

We are on a Canaries cruise end of February 2016. has anyone got any recommendations of must see/does?(Bearing in mind we are visiting on a Sunday) There is a ships tour that we are considering but we would prefer to D I Y if possible.:)

The ship's dock in the town so you could walk to Las Canteras Beach. Considered one of the best urban beaches. Lots of bars and restaurants along the promenade.

You could visit Parque Doramas where they have displays of Canarian dancing and the Nestor de la Torre museum, a local artist.

Go to the Vegueta old area of Las Palmas and walk around and admire the Canarian colonial Spanish architecture. Visit the cathedral and Christopher Columbus house.

Or, rent a car and drive to the centre and northern part of the island and enjoy the beautiful scenery. CICAR is a reputable car hire company.

We just returned from our Canary Islands Adventure cruise this past Sunday. Gran Canaria was a highlight!

We rented a car from Cicar. They were excellent to do business with.

We went to the sand dunes of Maspalomas, saw the Fataga ravine, Roque Nublo, Roque Bentayga for a very scenic drive. We drove back to Las Palmas via Vega de San Mateo.

[We were going to visit the Bandama Crater, as well, but the exits were on such short notice by the time I looked down at my map to confirm, we had missed it (this was both on the motorway after leaving the port and also coming from the Santa Brigida area). So for those wanting to go there, be aware there's very little warning for the turnoff. Another caution for those going to the sand dunes is to be sure to have maps printed off in advance on how to get out of Maspalomas. It was not as easy as going out the way we came. There was not clear signage for the route we needed (GC-60), heading toward Fataga (the hwy name wasn't on any of the main signage) but we eventually found our way.]

The drive is spectacular! This island is nicknamed "a continent in miniature" because it has so many climatic zones. One minute we were at sand dunes, a few minutes later looking over a lush ravine, then drove through what looked like the US West, but once we went on the other side of the mountain were in a green paradise. I was constantly saying, "oh, wow!" at the beauty of this place. To me, the island is underrated and was the biggest surprise of our cruise. And there was so much more we could have seen had there been more time! (Be aware of sunset times when planning).

We absolutely loved our day there! Would gladly go back and see other parts of this special island. (The night sky aboard the ship while in this area was also spectacular . . . we went to the highest level during a meteor shower and it was a sight to behold).

Their tourism office http://grancanaria.com was kind enough to send me brochures, maps and information in the mail prior to our trip. Their website is also an excellent resource.

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy your time there!! All the Best!

Edited by syesmar

We were there on a Sunday in June -we were told many shops would be shut but we found near the port they do open when a cruise ship is in! There is a big shopping centre right by the port which was open (if that is your thing!)

• 1 month later...
We just returned from our Canary Islands Adventure cruise this past Sunday. Gran Canaria was a highlight!

We rented a car from Cicar. They were excellent to do business with.

We went to the sand dunes of Maspalomas, saw the Fataga ravine, Roque Nublo, Roque Bentayga for a very scenic drive. We drove back to Las Palmas via Vega de San Mateo.

[We were going to visit the Bandama Crater, as well, but the exits were on such short notice by the time I looked down at my map to confirm, we had missed it (this was both on the motorway after leaving the port and also coming from the Santa Brigida area). So for those wanting to go there, be aware there's very little warning for the turnoff. Another caution for those going to the sand dunes is to be sure to have maps printed off in advance on how to get out of Maspalomas. It was not as easy as going out the way we came. There was not clear signage for the route we needed (GC-60), heading toward Fataga (the hwy name wasn't on any of the main signage) but we eventually found our way.]

The drive is spectacular! This island is nicknamed "a continent in miniature" because it has so many climatic zones. One minute we were at sand dunes, a few minutes later looking over a lush ravine, then drove through what looked like the US West, but once we went on the other side of the mountain were in a green paradise. I was constantly saying, "oh, wow!" at the beauty of this place. To me, the island is underrated and was the biggest surprise of our cruise. And there was so much more we could have seen had there been more time! (Be aware of sunset times when planning).

We absolutely loved our day there! Would gladly go back and see other parts of this special island. (The night sky aboard the ship while in this area was also spectacular . . . we went to the highest level during a meteor shower and it was a sight to behold).

Their tourism office http://grancanaria.com was kind enough to send me brochures, maps and information in the mail prior to our trip. Their website is also an excellent resource.

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy your time there!! All the Best!

We are in Gran Canaria aboard NCL Epic on April 1st. Is the Cicar office actually in the terminal on the pier? I can see there is one a few minutes walk into town for definite (can see it on street view) but the website seems to suggest this is different to the "cruising port" office.

We are in Gran Canaria aboard NCL Epic on April 1st. Is the Cicar office actually in the terminal on the pier? I can see there is one a few minutes walk into town for definite (can see it on street view) but the website seems to suggest this is different to the "cruising port" office.

Have answered on your other thread. :)

JB :)