Canada/New England 2016

ikesyd

Generally speaking, the leaf colour in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island will peak around October 10th. The area around the mouth of the St. Lawrence to Quebec City will peak earlier due to the location farther north.

Of course an unusually cold September will cause the colours to turn earlier but the 10th of October, give or take a few days is usually the case.

We just spent a very enjoyable few days in Boston, the city of my birth, in June and we stayed at the Copley Plaza. We booked it through HAL with transfers from the ship and to the airport and were more than pleased with the hotel and its location.

Fairmount Copley Plaza is a lovely, stately hotel. One of the most beautiful ballrooms in the city. Many fabulous weddings celebrated there.

Sadly, they no longer have what used to be one of the best restaurants in Boston. It was called the Oak Room and had magnificent table settings, wonderful menu and first class service. There doesn't seem to be a call for those very costly restaurants and what has replaced it doesn't come close.

Edited by sail7seas

Everyone's suggestions have been great - thank you! We are definitely going to stay 2 nights, maybe longer if we can. The freedom trail looks a great idea. We will do the hop on hop off trolley the first day to get our bearings etc, then do more exploring the next day and head for a meal in the north end area.We will be on a tour on the West Coast of Canada, but hopefully will be able to visit the Bear Paw bakery during free time.Hopefully The Canadian wont be too delayed when we arrive in Toronto!We are hoping the train will provide some relax time, great scenery & chance to meet fellow passengers.:):cool:

The trip on the Canadian is most enjoyable. I take it one-way between Toronto and Vancouver or in reverse every year. I disagree with the statement posted earlier ("From Edmonton to Winnipeg has nothing but flat bald plains. From Winnipeg to Toronto is nothing but bleak Canadian shield.") The prairie is not entirely flat. The Qu'Appelle Valley on the south side of the tracks is very scenic. Northern Ontario is not at all bleak and you will travel through hundreds of miles of forests, lakes and rivers. Of course it isn't as scenic as the mountain regions of B.C. and Alberta, but it has its own charms.

I assume you will be taking a sleeping compartment or at least berths? It is three nights and two days from Jasper to Toronto; sitting up in coach (economy) is not recommended. The food (meals included in the sleeper fare) are generally excellent. On my trip this June we met several people who, like us, had been on a HAL cruise - not the same ship as we were on. All of us agreed that the meals served in the dining car were better than those on board our respective ships. No, I do not work for VIA Rail and I pay for my trips:).

The only down side to this lovely train trip is the arrival in Toronto. Canadian National owns the tracks and give priority to their freight trains. It would be prudent to not make any any definite plans for the day of arrival. I have been monitoring the arrivals of the Canadian in Toronto for some friends and the arrivals in the past six weeks have varied from 30 minutes early to 13 hours late. The average degree of lateness is about four hours.

The trip on the Canadian is most enjoyable. I take it one-way between Toronto and Vancouver or in reverse every year. I disagree with the statement posted earlier ("From Edmonton to Winnipeg has nothing but flat bald plains. From Winnipeg to Toronto is nothing but bleak Canadian shield.") The prairie is not entirely flat. The Qu'Appelle Valley on the south side of the tracks is very scenic. Northern Ontario is not at all bleak and you will travel through hundreds of miles of forests, lakes and rivers. Of course it isn't as scenic as the mountain regions of B.C. and Alberta, but it has its own charms.

I assume you will be taking a sleeping compartment or at least berths? It is three nights and two days from Jasper to Toronto; sitting up in coach (economy) is not recommended. The food (meals included in the sleeper fare) are generally excellent. On my trip this June we met several people who, like us, had been on a HAL cruise - not the same ship as we were on. All of us agreed that the meals served in the dining car were better than those on board our respective ships. No, I do not work for VIA Rail and I pay for my trips:).

The only down side to this lovely train trip is the arrival in Toronto. Canadian National owns the tracks and give priority to their freight trains. It would be prudent to not make any any definite plans for the day of arrival. I have been monitoring the arrivals of the Canadian in Toronto for some friends and the arrivals in the past six weeks have varied from 30 minutes early to 13 hours late. The average degree of lateness is about four hours.

Thanks for the info on your past trips on The Canadian. Yes we splurged and will be in a prestige cabin(have travelled on The Ghan here in Oz & I'm always the one who sleeps on the top bunk, so for 3 days I wanted a normal bed & our own shower!!!)Where do you check the arrival times, so I can monitor? Our tour in Toronto starts the evening of our arrival by train(welcome drinks at 6.30pm)so now big drama if we miss that - just hope we arrive before the next morning as we head off to Niagara Falls!!!!:)

Thanks for the info on your past trips on The Canadian. Yes we splurged and will be in a prestige cabin(have travelled on The Ghan here in Oz & I'm always the one who sleeps on the top bunk, so for 3 days I wanted a normal bed & our own shower!!!)Where do you check the arrival times, so I can monitor? Our tour in Toronto starts the evening of our arrival by train(welcome drinks at 6.30pm)so now big drama if we miss that - just hope we arrive before the next morning as we head off to Niagara Falls!!!!:)

Prestige looks lovely. I have had only a "tour" of the cabins. There is also a mini-bar which is stocked with beverages of your choice. I have met some of the Prestige passengers and they have been impressed with the experience.

The odds are in your favour that you will make the evening reception. I was downtown the last time the train arrived in Toronto and it was only two hours late. VIA's on-line arrival system has had difficulties with the Canadian so at present they are the only trains not showing. They hope to have it fixed early in the new year.

https://m.reservia.viarail.ca/en#/trainstatus/search