Canada/New England 2016

ikesyd

We are booked on 1 October 2016 Rotterdam sailing from Montreal to Boston. Hoping for some autumn colour still to be seen. This will be our first HAL cruise & also 1st visit to Canada/USA. Prior to cruise we will be spending some time on the West Coast of Canada, then travelling on The Canadian from Jasper to Toronto - hoping see some more of the Canadian landscape. After cruise we will spend some time in New York then visit relations in Texas before flying home to Oz - 5 week trip all up!. Hotels in Boston seem to be very expensive so will probably catch the train from Boston to New York later on arrival day. Approximately how long will it take to disembark, so I can look at train times? If anyone can suggest a hotel(no more than $300 a night) in Boston & what we should see if we do decide to spend a day or 2 in Boston after the cruise. Thanks.

We did this cruise this year and arrived in Boston on October 3. Disembarkation was very easy and were at the airport way too soon for our flight. You probably could book an Amtrak train to New York after 0900. The train station is only about five minutes away.

This year the Fall Colors were late so we didn't see much change. But next year could be entirely different.

You will enjoy the Jasper area. It is one of my favorite destinations.

Catching a train to NYC from Boston is very easy. South Station, from which the train will leave, is 5 minutes from Black Falcon Cruise Terminal.

Hotels in Boston are costly but not more so than NYC. Both are very expensive cities. There is so much to see and do in Boston, so much history, culture, beauty, colleges, world class medicine, museums, shopping, restaurants, public Gardens........

Seems a shame for you to come so far, have an opportunity for a few days in Boston and not experience anything here.

Paul Revere's house is 15 minutes from where the ship docks.

Old North Church (from which the famous lantern was hung ....British will attack by land if one and two lanterns if by sea...... :)

USS Constitution - oldest war ship still in commission

Fanueil Hall

Quincy Market

JFK Library - his brother, former Senator Ted Kennedy, has museum nearby and has a full replica of the U.S. Senate chamber

Boston Public Library - gorgeous building and oldest in America

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

Fenway Park - much loved baseball park of Boston Red Sox

Harvard Yard :)

Try a New England Lobster dinner

Boston is a very walkable city.

etc

You likely will be a little early for fall foliage in Boston but may see some north when you sail from Quebec City.

We are booked on 1 October 2016 Rotterdam sailing from Montreal to Boston. Hoping for some autumn colour still to be seen. This will be our first HAL cruise & also 1st visit to Canada/USA. Prior to cruise we will be spending some time on the West Coast of Canada, then travelling on The Canadian from Jasper to Toronto - hoping see some more of the Canadian landscape. After cruise we will spend some time in New York then visit relations in Texas before flying home to Oz - 5 week trip all up!. Hotels in Boston seem to be very expensive so will probably catch the train from Boston to New York later on arrival day. Approximately how long will it take to disembark, so I can look at train times? If anyone can suggest a hotel(no more than $300 a night) in Boston & what we should see if we do decide to spend a day or 2 in Boston after the cruise. Thanks.

I would fly from Edmonton to Toronto. From Edmonton to Winnipeg has nothing but flat bald plains. From Winnipeg to Toronto is nothing but bleak Canadian shield.

New York hotels and restaurants can be very expensive.

In Boston we stayed at the Hilton downtown in the Financial District. It is within walking distance of Faneuil Hall Marketplace/Quincy Market. It was very reasonable.

Just checked & the Hilton is booked out for when we would be there.:(

Catching a train to NYC from Boston is very easy. South Station, from which the train will leave, is 5 minutes from Black Falcon Cruise Terminal.

Hotels in Boston are costly but not more so than NYC. Both are very expensive cities. There is so much to see and do in Boston, so much history, culture, beauty, colleges, world class medicine, museums, shopping, restaurants, public Gardens........

Seems a shame for you to come so far, have an opportunity for a few days in Boston and not experience anything here.

Old North Church (from which the famous lantern was hung ....British will attack by land if one and two lanterns if by sea...... :)

Fanueil Hall

Quincy Market

JFK Library - his brother, former Senator Ted Kennedy, has museum nearby and has a full replica of the U.S. Senate chamber

etc

You likely will be a little early for fall foliage in Boston but may see some north when you sail from Quebec City.

Having lived outside of Boston most of my life, I second what Sail7Seas has said. There is a wealth of things to see, do, experience and it does seem a shame to just pass through. If we were here, I would do everything I could to find a place that we could afford, either hotel or apartment (we use VRBO when we travel here and overseas).

Thanks everyone for the tips! Have made a tentative booking at Newbury Guest house for 2 nights, but will keep looking if there is anything closer. Hope to be able to drop off our luggage after disembarking at the hotel then will do a hop on hop off tour to get our bearings of places to see the next day.:)

I know some cruisers have enjoyed stays at Omni Parker House Hotel. Very convenient location to North End, Quincy Market, Fanueil Hall etc This is not a 'cookie cutter' hotel with all rooms the same. It has been remodeled from an older hotel and has much history. If you look into it, be specific the type of room you want and you may be able to get a price acceptable to you.

Thanks everyone you have all been very helpful! Just looked up Revere Hotel Boston Common and it is closer and more convenient to the train station for our departure - would this be a better location than the Newbury?:)

Thanks everyone you have all been very helpful! Just looked up Revere Hotel Boston Common and it is closer and more convenient to the train station for our departure - would this be a better location than the Newbury?:)

I am not familiar with either of these hotels, but the Revere is better located, as it is closer to the most popular attractions.

I am usually not someone who likes cities, but Boston is my favorite American City. I especially like the North End. You can get there by walking straight north of Faneuil Hall.

For a nice day, take a taxi from either of those hotels to Faneuil Hall, enjoy the market place there. There are also a couple of nice pubs near there - stop and have and Irish beer. Then walk to the North End and have lunch in one of the many Italian restaurants there. The North End is a famous Italian American District.

I wish I could help but I've never heard of either of those hotels and I've lived here all my life.

I went from Boston to Montreal last summer. We came in to Boston two days early and stayed at the Renaissance Marriott Hotel in the Seaport district. It was very reasonable and close to some great restaurants. We did a trolley tour that picked up at our hotel. This enabled us to go to the historical sights in a day. It's well worth taking some time to explore Boston.

If you enjoy walking, I'd recommend doing all or part of the Freedom Walk. We did this in one day after our Canada/New England cruise on the Veendam last year. You can purchase an audiotour which you can download to your MP3 player or Ipod and then go at your own pace.

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/freedom-trail/

I would fly from Edmonton to Toronto. From Edmonton to Winnipeg has nothing but flat bald plains. From Winnipeg to Toronto is nothing but bleak Canadian shield.

I guess beauty really is in the eyes of the beholder. I've traveled this train route many, many times in both directions to/from Vancouver/Toronto and loved every single mile of it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Jasper also happens to be my favourite Canadian National Park. Practically guaranteed to see bears, elk and bighorn sheep.

If you have time do include a stop at Mt. Robson. It is about an hour away from Jasper. Before you go, pick up some snacks at the Bear's Paw Bakery in Jasper. They have samosas that make for a great hiking/walking snack. Miette Hot Springs also makes for a lovely Jasper day trip if you have aching joints it is like a fountain of youth :)

Have also done Quebec to Boston on the Eurodam.

Yours trip sounds absolutely heavenly. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Nghthawke

Everyone's suggestions have been great - thank you! We are definitely going to stay 2 nights, maybe longer if we can. The freedom trail looks a great idea. We will do the hop on hop off trolley the first day to get our bearings etc, then do more exploring the next day and head for a meal in the north end area.We will be on a tour on the West Coast of Canada, but hopefully will be able to visit the Bear Paw bakery during free time.Hopefully The Canadian wont be too delayed when we arrive in Toronto!We are hoping the train will provide some relax time, great scenery & chance to meet fellow passengers.:):cool:

Fanueil Hall

Quincy Market

JFK Library - his brother, former Senator Ted Kennedy, has museum nearby and has a full replica of the U.S. Senate chambers

etc

Looking to hopefully do the Canada/NE in 2017. When is the best time to pick to see the most color? Will plan on staying a couple days since I've only drove the outskirts of Boston, haven't seen anything!!

Everyone's suggestions have been great - thank you! We are definitely going to stay 2 nights, maybe longer if we can. The freedom trail looks a great idea. We will do the hop on hop off trolley the first day to get our bearings etc, then do more exploring the next day and head for a meal in the north end area.We will be on a tour on the West Coast of Canada, but hopefully will be able to visit the Bear Paw bakery during free time.Hopefully The Canadian wont be too delayed when we arrive in Toronto!We are hoping the train will provide some relax time, great scenery & chance to meet fellow passengers.:):cool:

I hope you let us know how your cruise goes.....would live some details as this cruise is one I would love to do!!:)

I suspect you will find that you're early for fall colour.

On the train you will find only conifers in the Rockies (which are evergreen), following by almost no trees through the Prairies. On the Shield, the vast majority of deciduous trees are silver birch, which will provide a lot of yellow, but no red. Around Québec there is much more maple, which are brilliant red in autumn, but very much dependent upon when the colder weather settles in. You might have some good luck heading north from Québec before your cruise starts.

The climate is much milder in the Maritilmes, and we typically don't see the best colour until after Thanksgiving (second Monday in October). But every year is different, so you never can tell. :)