ultimate dining package and ala carte restaurants

rjm11

I'm really sorry, but I'm still confused (even after reading through the past threads- perhaps moreso!)

Maybe someone can clarify how the ala carte restaurants (Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cucina in particular) will work if you have the Ultimate Dining Package as part of a promo? Sailing the Gem in November 2016 if that's relevant.

Here is the wording from the NCL site:

Q. IN WHICH VENUES WILL THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

A. The Ultimate Dining Package is honored in all specialty restaurants with the exception of Ocean Blue, a la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based dining, mini bar and room service.

To me that sounds like we won't be able to use the UDP in the ala carte priced restaurants at all? Is that right?

well that's the verbage that is on the website right now... which we all know is often inaccurate!

Have others had firsthand experience with having their UDP honored at ala carte dining venues such as Cagneys or Le Bistro? If so, is there any sort of limited menu, or restricted choices (other than only one entree of course).

If you are saying that is verbiage from their website right now then could you please post a link? It hasn't been called the Ultimate Dining Package in a while. It is now called Specialty Dining Package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got off the Escape a week ago and there was four of us that had the UDP. We ate in all the speciality res at no charge even went to MV at no charge. With the SDP you pick three or four res. Again with UDP you don't pay at all even if it's al carte

Just got off the Escape a week ago and there was four of us that had the UDP. We ate in all the speciality res at no charge even went to MV at no charge. With the SDP you pick three or four res. Again with UDP you don't pay at all even if it's al carte

Great! Thanks! So are they not selling the UDP anymore? Only the Specialty Dining package?

Great! Thanks! So are they not selling the UDP anymore? Only the Specialty Dining package?

That is correct. They no longer sell the UDP. One can purchase the SDP for any number of 3-7 nights. The FAQ you linked to I assume is for people who have the UDP grandfathered however it is a bit misleading when they talk about it not being valid at a la carte places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:confused: My question is the Cirque Dinner show still included in the Old UDP or is there an additional cost, was free with the UDP when I booked back in January, never got a concrete answer to that one..

Edited by warriorking

:confused: My question is the Cirque Dinner show still included in the Old UDP or is there an additional cost, was free with the UDP when I booked back in January, never got a concrete answer to that one..
If you booked with the UDP in January, Cirque is free with the UDP (on embarkation day only) according to your booking terms. But you will probably have a difficult time getting them to honor that, because they changed the rules for the UDP a few months later, and then they discontinued the UDP altogether. So by the time you sail, the people on board will have either forgotten about the free embarkation day performance for UDP holders, or they will have been instructed not to give it to you. You may still be able to get it if you are prepared to insist (bring all your documentation on board and do not waste your time talking to any of the front-line staff members, ask directly for the entertainment manager).

If you booked with the UDP in January, Cirque is free with the UDP (on embarkation day only) according to your booking terms. But you will probably have a difficult time getting them to honor that, because they changed the rules for the UDP a few months later, and then they discontinued the UDP altogether. So by the time you sail, the people on board will have either forgotten about the free embarkation day performance for UDP holders, or they will have been instructed not to give it to you. You may still be able to get it if you are prepared to insist (bring all your documentation on board and do not waste your time talking to any of the front-line staff members, ask directly for the entertainment manager).

:cool:Thanks, will come prepared.....

I just called NCL and was told that all restaurants would be included in the dining packages, but one would be limited to one appetizer, one entree, and I think she said one dessert. If you wanted more, you would pay the individual price for that item. The one of each only applies to the individually priced restaurants.

I just called NCL and was told that all restaurants would be included in the dining packages, but one would be limited to one appetizer, one entree, and I think she said one dessert. If you wanted more, you would pay the individual price for that item. The one of each only applies to the individually priced restaurants.

Whoever you spoke to absolutely did not know what they are talking about. There is no restriction per the terms of either the SDP or UDP except for the extra main entree.

Whoever you spoke to absolutely did not know what they are talking about. There is no restriction per the terms of either the SDP or UDP except for the extra main entree.
LOL...glad to hear that the CSR's at NCL are just like those at Celebrity, Royal and Carnival in that you call twice and speak to two different people and get two different answers to the question that you need an answer to.

I'm really sorry, but I'm still confused (even after reading through the past threads- perhaps moreso!)

Maybe someone can clarify how the ala carte restaurants (Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cucina in particular) will work if you have the Ultimate Dining Package as part of a promo? Sailing the Gem in November 2016 if that's relevant.

Here is the wording from the NCL site:

Q. IN WHICH VENUES WILL THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

A. The Ultimate Dining Package is honored in all specialty restaurants with the exception of Ocean Blue, a la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based dining, mini bar and room service.

To me that sounds like we won't be able to use the UDP in the ala carte priced restaurants at all? Is that right?

I had this exact question and spoke directly with a contact at NCL who would absolutely with no doubt in my mind have the right answer. I was told that it boils down to this... The recent changes for specialty restaurants going al a carte have zero impact on the UDP. It is as if nothing changed. Ocean Blue and Chef Table are still excluded but Cagneys and the others are just as they were before. The rule till is that you can order a 'normal' dinner for each person who has the UDP (one app, entree, dessert, etc) a second entree does have a charge (I think it is $10).

Pretty much if you have the UDP just go on forward as if no changes had been made.

WOW a lot has changed since I cruised NCL for the first time in March. So my follow up question to this thread is, What if I am going to book today under the SDP do the same terms apply with Cagneys and Cucina and Le Bistro? Or is it only no extra charge for the people who booked while it was still UDP? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

If the person logged in has the SDP, they can make reservations for up to 8 people for no charge (this is for restaurants like Cagney's, Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, La Cucina, that have no charge upfront under the SDP). They do not ask for names or check for dining packages at that point. But if you make a reservation including people who do not have a dining package, those people will of course have to pay for their meal on board.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I too have been wondering exactly how this will work. I booked my 2016 and 2017 cruise's when both the UDP and UBP were included with the suites. Who knows if it will be honored by the time my 2017 cruise comes around.......:rolleyes:

I had this exact question and spoke directly with a contact at NCL who would absolutely with no doubt in my mind have the right answer. I was told that it boils down to this... The recent changes for specialty restaurants going al a carte have zero impact on the UDP. It is as if nothing changed. Ocean Blue and Chef Table are still excluded but Cagneys and the others are just as they were before. The rule till is that you can order a 'normal' dinner for each person who has the UDP (one app, entree, dessert, etc) a second entree does have a charge (I think it is $10).

Pretty much if you have the UDP just go on forward as if no changes had been made.

Pretty much agree with this except for the comments re the 'normal dinner'. Read the terms and conditions of the UDP and SDP. Do you see any mention of a restriction on the items you can order except for the mention of a $10 fee for an extra main entree?

Numerous people have recounted their experiences with the SDP and UDP on board the Escape. None reported any problems ordering exactly what they wanted, including multiple apps etc. There is no restriction.

WOW a lot has changed since I cruised NCL for the first time in March. So my follow up question to this thread is, What if I am going to book today under the SDP do the same terms apply with Cagneys and Cucina and Le Bistro? Or is it only no extra charge for the people who booked while it was still UDP? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Yes, under SDP Cagneys, La Cucina, Moderno, Le Bistro and Teppanyaki are all included at no extra cost. Same is true for UDP. The only real difference between the two is that an SDP package is purchased for X number of meals while the UDP is for the full cruise and no restriction on the number of meals.

Under SDP, entertainment dining like the Supper Club or Illusionarium are included for an upcharge of $15. Also true for excluded venues like Bayamo and Ocean Blue and for $7 some other venues like the sushi places. It has been pretty consistently reported that they are applying these same rules to those who book under UDP. A relative has UDP and has booked Supper Club for $15 plus the 18% gratuity.

Pretty much agree with this except for the comments re the 'normal dinner'. Read the terms and conditions of the UDP and SDP. Do you see any mention of a restriction on the items you can order except for the mention of a $10 fee for an extra main entree?

Numerous people have recounted their experiences with the SDP and UDP on board the Escape. None reported any problems ordering exactly what they wanted, including multiple apps etc. There is no restriction.

I have seen that some people were not charge for the extra entree but that is NOT the official policy.

"Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at $10.00" - From the NCL web site.

(I misread your response, thus posted the quite that I did.)

Edited by EyeSeaEwe