NCL Escape reviews accurate?

UKLloyd

Is the Escape really as bad as people are saying?

Are they just experiencing teething problems, or are the issues here to stay?

Surprised at what I'm reading, am still very excited for my cruise, but am actually starting to worry about issues that people are reporting. Although i very much intend to enjoy myself.

I've read some of the reviews, but not the most recent ones. As most recommend, take what you read in those with a grain of salt. You can also take what I'll say with a grain of salt, because everyone is different and likes different things. :)

We sailed the Escape in November on a 3-day sampler from Miami and will be sailing again in January the 7 day. We very much enjoyed the Escape and are looking forward to sailing on her again in less than 30 days. It's a big ship, yes, and it felt crowded at times (embarkation, muster drill, in the immediate pool vicinity), but there's so much to see and do. We were never bored on the 3 day and don't intend to be on the 7 day.

Service was a bit of an issue on our November 3-day...but it was the first U.S. public sailing, having just come over from Europe 3 days prior, so we didn't expect perfection. Many seemed to have the beverage package, and on our second day - a sea day - the bars were out of many of the mixes. However, bartenders were quick to recommend drinks based on what they did have. We tried new things we didn't think we'd enjoy because of it. We're counting down the days now until our January cruise!

Since you've said you know you'll enjoy yourself, I wouldn't worry much about the reviews. Have a great time!

Also remember that many people who post on here do so because they are negative in their comments and seem to think that a cruise should be perfection!!

We have had cruises where something has gone wrong and I have posted about them. However we have had lots of great times on NCL ships and have also posted about them.

CC needs lots more positive people to make these boards more balanced. If you have a great experience post on CC and tell us all about it; it will help to balance some of the negatives.

I don't know what people expect when they go on a ship that has about 4000 "guests" (I prefer the term "customers"). The ship is not going to have twice as many everything as one of the smaller ships with 2000 customers. People are going to find public areas crowded and dining areas booked; that is why we prefer to travel on the smaller ships.

Mike

We are soon to sail on the Escape, and I am not in the least concerned. Initial reviews revealed some hiccups as the ship came over from Europe and the crew became accustomed to the new ship. Personally, I have not seen the same issues mentioned on recent reviews. And I never read the review section. You'll get much more balanced reviews if you read the ones posted here on the NCL board.

The "crowded" comments always puzzle me. No, it is not like being on a private yacht. Yes, there are 4,000 people on the ship, but generally, they are not all in the same place at the same time. On the Epic and Getaway, I sometimes wondered where in the heck they were hiding all the other people. There are just too many things to do and different places to be. They spread everyone out very nicely for the most part. Honestly, the smaller ships with fewer passengers felt just the same to me.

Edited by punkincc

I was worried about some of the reviews as well. We just sailed on the Dec. 5 sailing. We were. In the Haven, so we didn't have to deal with some of the crowded areas, like main pool deck. But we did the slides and ropes course without much wait. They were lots of fun. It is all about timing. One time, no lines, and by the time we were done there was a huge line.

Loved the entertainment, esp. Million Dollar Quartet. Had dinner in main dining room once, good food and good service. Meals in the Haven restaurant were slow most times. Not sure why. But the food was excellent. That would be my only complaint, slow service in Haven restaurant.

We had a great time. We were 6, me and hubby, and our 3 adult kids with one fiancée. Don't worry, be happy and enjoy your cruise!

I was worried about some of the reviews as well. We just sailed on the Dec. 5 sailing. We were. In the Haven, so we didn't have to deal with some of the crowded areas, like main pool deck. But we did the slides and ropes course without much wait. They were lots of fun. It is all about timing. One time, no lines, and by the time we were done there was a huge line.

Loved the entertainment, esp. Million Dollar Quartet. Had dinner in main dining room once, good food and good service. Meals in the Haven restaurant were slow most times. Not sure why. But the food was excellent. That would be my only complaint, slow service in Haven restaurant.

We had a great time. We were 6, me and hubby, and our 3 adult kids with one fiancée. Don't worry, be happy and enjoy your cruise!

We too will be in the Haven. We are not sailing until December 3rd so a long way to go. Was just getting a little curious, although I realise it is what we make of it.

I think the newness of the ship is effecting service, This is partly due to a new crew, and due to NCL selling most all the cabins, with 3rd and 4th person promo. Our cruise on Dec 12th had 4634 passengers. According to our platinum behind the scenes tour guide, that's the least they've had. It's been between 5000 - 5200. Crowds should be expected.

I think there are a couple of other factors behind the bad reviews, besides what has already been mentioned.

First off, there's a lot of anger about the changes that NCL has over the last few months... changing things from what was initially promised. For example, charging a fee for eating at Margaritaville when it was originally promoted as a free dining venue. That's the one that people gripe the most about, but there have been quite a few other things that were changed after the originally announced plans. For example, Carlo's Bake Shop is no longer affiliated with Carlo of "Cake Boss" fame. There are no Nickelodeon characters for the kids. Things like that... which were one way when some of the people booked their cruise and then were another way when they actually got on board.

Regarding the crowding... with 5000 passengers onboard and just two small swimming pools open to most passengers, you can imagine how tricky it is to get a lounger by the pool or to find a space to squeeze in to the pool. They really ought to think about putting a pool at the aft end of the ship on their next generation of ships. There is an indoor thermal pool for spa-cabin passengers, as well as a small pool for folks in The Haven... so those are good options if you do value an uncrowded pool experience.

When NCL originally announced that the ship would have the first Margaritaville at sea, I thought it was the most brilliant cruise line idea since Carnival's tie-in with Guy Fieri. But NCL has really fumbled with the execution... first underestimating the demand and having to institute a fee to thin out the crowds... and also with the unbelievably stupid move of not playing any Jimmy Buffett music in either Margaritaville or in the 5 O'Clock Somewhere bar. Jeez... Jimmy Buffett is famous because of his MUSIC! To not play any of it in the two Jimmy Buffett inspired venues is crazy stupid on NCL's part. Why they didn't put in a dozen 60 inch HD TVs and run a never-ending loop of Jimmy Buffett music videos is a total mystery to me. Have they not ever been to a Margaritaville on land?!?

One other thing that may play a factor in the bad reviews is that so many passengers got the Unlimited Beverage Package thrown in at no extra charge. A lot of reviews have mentioned that the bar staff is overwhelmed and that it takes a long time to get a drink. That's not surprising given that people are probably drinking a LOT more on their cruise now that so many of them have the UBP.

Don't get me wrong... I am TOTALLY looking forward to my cruise on Norwegian Escape, and I'm convinced it will be the best cruise I've ever been on... but the bad reviews do indicate that NCL still has some work to do in getting things right.

You may think that it's normal for there to be bad reviews on a new cruise ship... breaking in the staff, and working the bugs out... but it doesn't have to be that way, if the cruise line has its act together. Take a look at the reviews for the first few months of cruises on Viking Ocean Cruise's new ship, the Viking Star. The reviews for that one have been hugely positive.