Recommended way to bring wine onboard RCI ships

No corkage fee on RCI anymore if used in cabin!

You are not limited to just using in your cabin. No corkage fee anywhere on the ship. You can take your wine to dinner and they will open and keep just as if you bought it in the dining room.

Asking purely from an academic perspective (I'll never need more than two bottles of wine per stateroom -- DW is the only wine drinker and that's enough for her)...if you bring too many bottles and they confiscate some (whether or not you get them back at the end; sounds like you usually do), do you get to choose which bottle(s) they take away and which two you get to keep for that sailing? Or do you not get the option of choosing which bottles because you were "naughty"? :D

You mean can you buy them in one of your ports and bring them back on board? I did that with liquor onboard that we purchased and in one of our ports of call and they held all bottles until the last night of your cruise. Not sure if they hold wine. I'm going to assume same rule. So if you want wine "during your cruise" then I think you will need to carry on with you at embarkation.

In St. Lucia last year we bought a few bottles of liquor on the island put them in our backpack and forgot about them. Didn't realize until we were back in our room unpacking the backpack that security never said anything about having the bottles.

There have been a few comments by different people here so don't have a specific post to quote...

Most of what has been said above comes down to one of my favourite sayings on CC: "The exception does not disprove the rule". So just because you happened to forget what you had in your pack, or you brought a corkscrew knife that made it onboard does not mean it will work next time. So saying these things really doesn't help anyone. The only thing I would advise if someone was trying something that is against the rules is be prepared for the consequences.

As for secondary inspection of a sealed bottle, the person running the scanner is most likely told to send any bottles over to secondary and not hold up the line. A sealed bottle can still be bootleg (For example: Drilled a hole in the bottom, drain the wine and filled with liquor.... or one could use a corking machine and materials to wrap the tops of refilled wine bottles).

I would carry on all liquids, shampoo, etc also corkscrew, on last cruise we had corkscrew in bag and I had to go to naughty room to get bag, I wanted to know why they had held bag and yelled a bit, they never opened my bag . I always take corkscrew but normally have it in carry on.

</script>le="width:100%; height:250px" tabindex="1">

You are not limited to just using in your cabin. No corkage fee anywhere on the ship. You can take your wine to dinner and they will open and keep just as if you bought it in the dining room.

I believe there is a corkage fee for the ding room! however, you can carry a glass of wine around and even into dining..no charge for that.

I believe there is a corkage fee for the ding room!

Nope, there isn't. I'm the OP, and I posted a link to this FAQ in post #1:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=5442&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqType=faq

And my experience on board Grandeur in January corroborates this...both bottles chilled and opened in the MDR by our waiter, no fee.

There have been a few comments by different people here so don't have a specific post to quote...

As for secondary inspection of a sealed bottle, the person running the scanner is most likely told to send any bottles over to secondary and not hold up the line. A sealed bottle can still be bootleg (For example: Drilled a hole in the bottom, drain the wine and filled with liquor.... or one could use a corking machine and materials to wrap the tops of refilled wine bottles).

Yes, they can be "re-sealed" but they are not professional "bottle-sniffers" and would NEVER know this if its done properly other than forcing someone to unwrap the sealed shrink capsule around the neck, make you find a corkscrew to open up to corked bottle, therefore ruining a perfectly good bottle of wine. I'm not sure that is even allowed on their end not to mention the time it would take to do that to every passenger that carries on their "wine" bottles. Not sure I would even try to drill a hole in a glass bottle anyway, sounds way too risky with possible leakage.

I'm sure they know this happens and have people creeping around these forums to see what crazy ideas people are coming up with these days, and if it became an out of control problem then they would just stop the whole bringing your own wine on all together. But again, they can't prove you have something other than wine in your sealed wine bottle. They can confiscate it, I would imagine, if they really suspect something is up.