Unlimited Free WiFi Announcement

Travelcat2

Most of you will receive this email. I'm posting it in case you miss it. It seems that the dates for the Unlimited Free Wifi has been moved up:)

We are pleased to announce that our newest inclusion of FREE Unlimited WiFi for all suite categories will launch sooner than previously announced, beginning with:

•Seven Seas Navigator® on March 17, 2016 during the Celestial Crossing itinerary from Miami to Barcelona

•Seven Seas Voyager® on May 2, 2016 during the Mysteries of the Ancients itinerary from Dubai to Barcelona

•Seven Seas Mariner® on May 8, 2016 during the Glacial Grandeur itinerary from San Francisco to Vancouver

•Seven Seas Explorer® on July 20, 2016 during the Unveiling History itinerary from Monte Carlo to Venice

The free internet access is available for the duration of the cruise and is accessible in all public spaces and suites. We are proud to fulfill our promise to deliver the most inclusive experience available, at sea or on land, with this enhanced amenity.

P.S. Personally, this does not make me happy but it is what it is.

that the moved-up date for implementation means that they will have installed better capability by the new dates. Since changing the billing scheme isn't what was going to determine the date, I'm vaguely hopeful that it is because of an earlier technology improvement than originally planned and not just a marketing scheme.

I care less (though some) about the diminution of our Gold internet benefit (since we'll still get two logins) than I do if they are just diluting the current, unremarkable capacity by adding more users.

As an aside: one needs to separate connectivity with bandwidth. The connectivity on Voyager for our Istanbul-Dubai cruise was fine meaning our devices could talk to the ship's network. That's not the big concern. It's the bandwidth from the ship to shore (via satellite) since that's what you are competing for. It was adequate on our cruise most of the time (we're just checking email and doing some surfing...no media streaming), but would suffer immensely if there are at least twice as many active users (a guess based on the average Gold and above demographic with, typically, more than one login plus the high-level suites which currently get some internet time) and no change to the satellite system. There ARE satellite systems with much higher bandwidth.

We'll see...

Agree Rachel. Also, there is the issue of not enough computers. I know that we all have laptops, tablets, etc., but there is nothing like a keyboard with a printer available.

Assume that the unlimited free Wi-Fi is one log-on per suite unless you already have reached the loyalty level that allows each person to have their own unlimited free Wi-Fi. This brings up another question...... when a person reaches "gold" level, they still be able to receive the current benefit?

Edited by Travelcat2

Agree Rachel. Also, there is the issue of not enough computers. I know that we all have laptops, tablets, etc., but there is nothing like a keyboard with a printer available.

Assume that the unlimited free Wi-Fi is one log-on per suite unless you already have reached the loyalty level that allows each person to have their own unlimited free Wi-Fi. This brings up another question...... when a person reaches "gold" level, they still be able to receive the current benefit?

As a clarification of Jackie's question, Joan and I will reach gold status on our next cruise. Does that mean that we will have two logins, and be able to use computers at the same time? That would mean a tablet for Joan, ship's computer for me.

As a clarification of Jackie's question, Joan and I will reach gold status on our next cruise. Does that mean that we will have two logins, and be able to use computers at the same time? That would mean a tablet for Joan, ship's computer for me.

Hi Joe -- If your cruise is prior to the implementation of the "Included Free Wi-Fi", you definitely will be able to have two logins. While I assume this will continue after the implementation, I have not seen anything confirming that. Suggest you speak with your TA.

Jackie

Hi Joe -- If your cruise is prior to the implementation of the "Included Free Wi-Fi", you definitely will be able to have two logins. While I assume this will continue after the implementation, I have not seen anything confirming that. Suggest you speak with your TA.

Jackie

The benefit accrues to the person, not the cabin. You could have a Gold and not-Gold in a cabin--1 login or you could have two, unrelated Gold members in the same cabin--each gets a login. Which is the same way it works for couples--Ms. Portolan is a Gold member in her own right. That'll remain the only value to the Gold benefit.

The new feature is just an extension of the former cabin-based (i.e., 1 login) benefit for the higher level suites.

Now, of course, they could change the benefits at the Gold level for newly qualifying members at any time like they did for Silvers a couple of years go, but they grandfathered everyone who had already reached Silver.

Edited by Portolan

The benefit accrues to the person, not the cabin. You could have a Gold and not-Gold in a cabin--1 login or you could have two, unrelated Gold members in the same cabin--each gets a login. Which is the same way it works for couples--Ms. Portolan is a Gold member in her own right. That'll remain the only value to the Gold benefit.

The new feature is just an extension of the former cabin-based (i.e., 1 login) benefit for the higher level suites.

Now, of course, they could change the benefits at the Gold level for newly qualifying members at any time like they did for Silvers a couple of years go, but they grandfathered everyone who had already reached Silver.

You're right - sorry if I made it sounds as if cabins were accruing benefits:) I was trying to differentiate the old, loyalty based internet, from what is currently being offered and what I believe is being offered after the ships are upgraded. Thanks for catching this!

My email had this fine print at the bottom. The last sentence seems to indicate that all loyalty program members will receive two log ins per suite. Unless they inadvertently omitted Gold from that sentence in error. Right?

FREE Unlimited WiFi applies to all suite categories beginning with Seven Seas Navigator® 3/17/16, Seven Seas Voyager® 5/2/16, Seven Seas Mariner® 5/8/16, and Seven Seas Explorer® 7/20/16. FREE Unlimited WiFi is valid for one unique log-in. Seven Seas Society members enjoy two unique log-ins per suite beginning with the FREE Unlimited WiFi launch.

My email had this fine print at the bottom. The last sentence seems to indicate that all loyalty program members will receive two log ins per suite. Unless they inadvertently omitted Gold from that sentence in error. Right?

FREE Unlimited WiFi applies to all suite categories beginning with Seven Seas Navigator® 3/17/16, Seven Seas Voyager® 5/2/16, Seven Seas Mariner® 5/8/16, and Seven Seas Explorer® 7/20/16. FREE Unlimited WiFi is valid for one unique log-in. Seven Seas Society members enjoy two unique log-ins per suite beginning with the FREE Unlimited WiFi launch.

That would be a change and essentially restores the former Silver internet benefit and then some since one cruise of any length gets you into the SSS. It would be a very appropriate move to add something to the higher tiers since the free internet isn't anything special after this. I'd also increase my earlier estimate of doubling the load to quadrupling it, since only first-time cruisers will have a single login.

P.S. Personally, this does not make me happy but it is what it is.

Not good in my book unless they have significantly improved capacity.

I don't see what the big deal is. It's about time. In this "day and age", a luxury cruise line that purports to be all-inclusive should bl**dy well include internet for all. Too bad about the old Gold benefits, but really. I know, you're worried about bandwidth, and errosion of the rewards program, but this is a no-brainer. Obviously they *are* improving capacity, which is why they have specific roll-out dates for each ship.