Trip Insurance - HELP!

My husband just started a new job and while we're before the final payment due date, we would like to get trip insurance "just in case" something crazy happens between the final payment and the cruise.

Any recommendations for trip insurance? Do most just use Royal's insurance or do you opt for outside companies?

We used Travel Guard when my mom had surgery and we weren't sure if she would be well in time. They let us add a rider that allowed pre-existing conditions. It was more expensive than most insurance because most don't allow pre-existing conditions. She ended up not being able to go and lots of paperwork later we were reimbursed in full.

I'm not sure what conditions you are worried about keeping you from the cruise, but I would clarify with the insurance if they are covered. Most reasons for instance paying you are medical, natural disasters, jury duty, etc. I don't think most will cover "new job and can't get time off." Maybe I'm wrong but I would definitely check out if the insurance covers what you are worried about.

There's a whole forum on insurance topics. Might want to check it out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

We use travel insured and they do offer insurance that covers work related issues. We're retired so I haven't paid much attention to the details. You'd need to check.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=48711729

We used Travel Guard when my mom had surgery and we weren't sure if she would be well in time. They let us add a rider that allowed pre-existing conditions. It was more expensive than most insurance because most don't allow pre-existing conditions. She ended up not being able to go and lots of paperwork later we were reimbursed in full.

I'm not sure what conditions you are worried about keeping you from the cruise, but I would clarify with the insurance if they are covered. Most reasons for instance paying you are medical, natural disasters, jury duty, etc. I don't think most will cover "new job and can't get time off." Maybe I'm wrong but I would definitely check out if the insurance covers what you are worried about.

Thanks for the reply. He was able to get the time off approved when he was hired. I think he is just worried say if this was after final payment date, he got a new job, and he wasn't approved for the time... then we would be screwed. So now I'm looking for trip protection that would provide us with some type of refund if we couldn't go for reasons other than illness, death, etc.

Edited by bstevenson95

My husband just started a new job and while we're before the final payment due date, we would like to get trip insurance "just in case" something crazy happens between the final payment and the cruise.

Any recommendations for trip insurance? Do most just use Royal's insurance or do you opt for outside companies?

I buy a policy thru my TA issued by Allianz, the coverage amounts and cost are a bit better than what is offered through RCCL.

Our TA purchases travel insurance for us through Allianz. A recent experience makes us very grateful for this insurance. I fell and experienced a compound ankle fracture that required surgery in Hawaii. They paid for a nurse to accompany us back home and covered most of our expenses while in Hawaii.

Please NEVER NEVER travel on cruises without the insurance. It is money well spent and you won't regret it if or when the time comes you need it.

Lynn

We have had excellent experience with Travel Guard (Gold Policy) for decades. From their policy, regarding work cancel/interruption coverage:

(m) the Insured or Traveling Companion is required to work

during his/her scheduled Trip. He/she must provide proof

of requirement to work, such as a notarized statement

signed by an officer of his/her employer. In the situation of

self-employment, proof of self-employment and a

notarized statement confirming that the Insured is unable

to travel due to his or her job obligations will be required;

This may be a bit off topic but we also have medjet insurance. We have done several international trips which originally prompted us to buy it, but now I think we will always have it. If something happens where you are stranded in a foreign country with someone who is in need of medical care (I am probably not saying this right for legal terms, but it's my best explanation) medjet will fly the injured and one companion back to the US on a private jet for medical care back home. Ours has one more year, but I think it was maybe $500 for a family of 5 for 4 years. Don't quote me on that rate but for me it was very reasonable for the peace of mind it provided.