Storing photos online

Nebr.cruiser

What's the best way to back up or store photos on line? I have a lot; I've digitized all my old slides from years ago and I do take quite a lot of pictures.

I have quite a few albums stored on Snapfish but find the download process long and not that easy. Plus, I'm really, really behind on it.

I would start scanning our old photos if there was some good way to store them besides just on the computer. (Been intending to do this for a while but I'm intimidated by the sheer volume of photos; including old family photos from the 1800's and on.)

Since my sisters home was burned to the ground in the California fires this summer, things like this have gained in importance. Luckily she had digitized most of her photos and had them stored on line. She literally fled her home with her two cats, her phone, the clothes on her back and her car with minutes to escape.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I have used Carbonite for years to backup all the files on my computer. I had a computer crash and was able to easily download my backup files to a new computer.

All you have to do is install it on a computer with internet connection and Carbonite does the rest. Carbonite runs in the background and continually looks for files to backup to the cloud.

The best part is that you can access your files from anywhere in the world from any internet-connected computer or mobile device.

I have a Zenfolio account and though it costs about $100 a year for the level I have, it allows for unlimited storage. I also have an Office 365 subscription ($9.95/mo) that includes a terabyte of online storage that I am considering using for bulk storage.

I also have copies of my documents and photos on external drives, one of which is a portable that travels with us in my equipment bag.

Too safe? Not sure it's possible! :)

Dave

I've used smugmug for several years. It is easy to use, mostly, although it will take a while to set up for that many photos. You can have unlimited storage for $40 per year, and you get a referral code to invite friends which will save you (and them) 20% for each friend that joins. There are also higher levels for people that are professionals, but I think even at the basic level, it looks 'professional.' You can sort your pictures into galleries, and have different looks and privacy settings for each one. If you are interested, here is a code that will save you (and me) 20%:

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=YmZOJcuNj7DMQ

IMHO the only reason to store online is for access anywhere. There are a few share sites that are free and unlimited, ones like Shutterfly come to mind but you can't get the originals back for free. Others like Fickr and others I think cost money or they downsample your stuff.

Sites like smugmug or zenfolio are great and support many amateur and professional photographers with many levels, but if you do the math the cheapest way to store your pictures is to buy HDD, what does a couple terabytes cost you, 100 bucks. For two hundred you can get two terabytes for duplicate backup ( I'd say always have two copies and never stored in the same place )

I use different services. iCloud, Box, and Dropbox. I also have a "transporter". A personalize cloud you set up at home. Costs a few hundred bucks depending on the type of external drive you set up. It has a few drawbacks, biggest of which is dependent on your home internet connection and can be slow for larger files. Overall. I love it though.