Passport turnaround

kindatravelsavy19

Just looking for yes or no. Let me try to make a long story shorter. I sent my passport for renweal a week ago. I got back a notice yesterday that they deemed it to damaged. So now must fill out ds-11 and all that great stuff but mail it to another location to be processed as I am in the system partially submitted. I called the passort office with some questions. One being what kind of turnaround am I looking at because I cruise in 30 days. She seemed to think there wouldn't be a problem. But I needed to make notice of my travel date on other locations besides in the application, i.e. the envelope. My delema is with the application I need to send my birth certificate of course which I need if I don't get my passport back. I know the safe thing to do at this point would wait till after the cruise to do this. Or should I entrust the passport call center that turnaround will not be a problem?

Contact the vital records office of the county where you were born and buy another birth certificate, that way you'll have an extra copy should you need it. I know in Cook Co, Illinois they run about $15 and you can go to any county courthouse and get one printed up right away.

Of course not. *grin* There are entirely too many variables involved for you to take it as a given that they will be able to make their *estimated* delivery turnaround. It doesn't even have to be their delay, you never know when a mail/package delivery gets damaged/pushed back. Had a package this year arrive one week late because the train it was on had a derailment.

They don't guarantee a delivery date for a reason. Plan on it not making it in time and then be pleasantly surprised if it does.

My experience is the passport office is really, really good about trying to make deadlines if they know about them. When I first got my passport I had 4 weeks, which was 4 weeks less than expedited service was achieving at that time.

They recommended I first off overnight my documents in which I did, second that I label the envelope with my deadline information. I did the second by writing "Needed by XX/XX/XX, Please! Thank you!" in black Sharpie over the label, on the back of the envelope on the seal flap and again below it. Just in case that was missed, I also put it on the envelope inside containing my documents. Finally, I provided a pre-paid overnight envelope to return my passport and documents to me. Although expedited service was averaging 8 weeks at the time, I sent it out on a Friday and had it back in my hands first thing Monday week. So, including weekends, it was back in 9 days! :eek:

Now does that always happen? I'm sure of course not. Just get a spare sealed copy of your birth certificate sent to you at the same time and you've got a great backup. Most states if not all let you order online now and get them out pretty quickly. In many states you can go to the proper office in any county and pick up a birth certificate as well. I'd certainly consider the peace of mind from having a backup plan worth the fairly nominal expense.

Good luck!

No one can guarantee what your turnaround might be but I will tell you we applied for my Granddaughters passport on 12/22 and received it today.

We renewed our own passports a few months ago and we had them back in 2 1/2 weeks.

BUT ........there is no way I would ever imply you will have the same experience....only relaying our experience.