Train from FCO to Civitavecchia and then reverse

LDIdeals

Hubby & I will be cruising in Sept. 2016 and wonder if it is easy to travel by train from the FCO airport to Civitavecchia? Looks as if you get express from airport to Termini Station and then the train on to Civitavecchia, correct? We will each have either a suitcase or a roll aboard and a handbag/backpack. Is that easy enough to do for 2 able bodied people? We love riding the trains in Europe... usually such a pleasant experience. We will be arriving 2 days before our cruise so won't be in big rush to get there... will be staying to nights at hotel near Port.

On the return we have a flight that leaves around 3 p.m. in the afternoon so wondering if it will be easy to do the same in reverse... just taking the train back to FCO via Termini station.

Is it recommended to buy train tickets in advance, and if so, how, or just get as we go? Thanks!

If you love riding the trains in Europe, then I say go for it. The one thing I would say is not to travel via Termini, but rather take a train to Trastevere or Ostiense and transfer there - much easier as they are smaller stations, and slightly shorter as well.

We did the train Civi-Trastevere-FCO after our cruise, and were in plenty of time for our 3pm flight.

I don't know how pleasant this particular train trip is but it is cost efficient.

It's faster and less expensive to take the local train to Roma Trastevere and change there for the local train to Civitavecchia.

There are elevators at each track at Trastevere to facilitate changing trains but once at Civitavecchia you will likely have to carry your bags down and flight of stairs and up the other side to get from your train to the station.

From the station there is a bus to the port entrance, where you transition to the port bus to your ship.

There is no benefit to purchasing your tickets in advance, just get them at the station.

Two nights in Civitavecchia sounds a bit dull, do you have plans to do anything in the area?

• 2 weeks later...

I am a worrier. I have to know the logistics before I go somewhere. I have only used the train once and that was in France.

I am arriving at FCO in October and want to take the train to Civitavecchia. I want to change at Trastevere. I am arriving early afternoon the day prior to the cruise and am not concerned about the time to travel. But I may be a bit tired.

Will it be obvious to me where the train is at FCO? We will be arriving from Amsterdam.

Will it be obvious which train to buy the ticket for?

Is there only one stop in Civitavecchia?

Thanks for any help.

We totally agree with Euro-Crusier's expert advice. Taking the Leonardo Express into Rome Termini might seem a little "sexy" but makes little sense from both a a cost and time point of view. The local train to Trastevere makes more sense and you will actually end up on the same train to Civitavecchia (which starts at Termini)

Keep in mind that using any of the trains mean you need to handle (and protect) all of your own luggage. If you cannot easily handle your luggage......consider other options such as arranging a private transfer (we like Romecabs) or using a taxi.

Hank.

To look up schedules go to trenitalia.com. From is "Fiumicino Aeroporto", to: "Civitavecchia". Train change is in Trastevere station and timing is from 1 hr 30 min to 1 hr 50 min. Buy ticket in Fuimicino station either from vending machine or ticket booth.

There is absolutely no need to go to Termini, it takes longer and cost more. Leonardo Express is the same type of regional train as FM1.

Will it be obvious to me where the train is at FCO? We will be arriving from Amsterdam.

Will it be obvious which train to buy the ticket for?

Is there only one stop in Civitavecchia?

Thanks for any help.

Follow the signs with the picture of a train, like on the left in this shot: http://www.wantedinrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/FCO.gif

You are purchasing a regional ticket to Civitavecchia. The self-service machines have an English language option but if you're not comfortable with that go to the ticket window and they'll take care of it for you.

Be sure to validate your ticket before getting on the train. There are machines along the track to use for this purpose. Ask someone if you don't see them.

The next step is to be sure you board the correct train. Do not get on the train that has Leonardo Express painted on the side, you want the regional train. The destination should be one of the following: Fara Sabina, Poggio Mirteto, or Orte.

The stops that you will travel will be the same, regardless of which of these three ultimate destinations the train is headed for. Here is the list of stops:

At Trastevere you'll need to check the signs for the train to Civitavecchia. Again, the board will list the final destination of the train which, in most cases, will not be Civitavecchia. It might be Pisa Centrale, Montalto di Castro, or Grosseto. You don't need to go into the station to find this, there are departure screens in the underground passageway that you use to transition between tracks. The number of stations between Trastevere and Civitavecchia will depend on the train.

There is, however, only one stop in Civitavecchia.

Edited by euro cruiser

• 5 months later...
Hubby & I will be cruising in Sept. 2016 and wonder if it is easy to travel by train from the FCO airport to Civitavecchia? Looks as if you get express from airport to Termini Station and then the train on to Civitavecchia, correct? We will each have either a suitcase or a roll aboard and a handbag/backpack. Is that easy enough to do for 2 able bodied people? We love riding the trains in Europe... usually such a pleasant experience. We will be arriving 2 days before our cruise so won't be in big rush to get there... will be staying to nights at hotel near Port.

On the return we have a flight that leaves around 3 p.m. in the afternoon so wondering if it will be easy to do the same in reverse... just taking the train back to FCO via Termini station.

Is it recommended to buy train tickets in advance, and if so, how, or just get as we go? Thanks!

This is the REVERSE of the transfer you desire but the stops and transfer will be the same. We just returned from the Oosterdam disembarking at Civitavecchia. The ship's shuttle took us to the port exit, a new exit somewhat further from the train station than previous cruises, but, good news, there is a shuttle bus there to take you to the train station (2 Euros/pp). (I don't know if this bus does the reverse to the port but the walk to the old port entrance is an easy walk but with luggage, the shuttle is worth it.) The bus trip took about 5-8 minutes. There was an 8:59 and a 9:43 train to Trastevere that took about 45 minutes. At Trastavere there is an underground tunnel to Platform 5 (for FCO) and ELEVATORS to the tunnel for easy transfer of luggage to the correct platform to the Rome Airport. We then just waited for the next train to the airport (in our case, maybe 15 minutes). About 25 more minutes and we were there. VERY EASY!

I bought my tickets in advance using Rail Europe online for 11 Euros/pp which seemed easier than buying tickets at the station. The ticket is good for three hours from activation so specify an early train in case you get to the station earlier than expected. Good luck!!

Edited by HPScottie