Breakaway 14 Day Southern Caribbean Review with lots of pictures (and the Haven)

ncklhaus

After she had her face painted, the DJ was trying to get parent/child pairs to come up on the stage for a Hot Dog eating contest. Well, we decided to go up. It was us against a father/daughter team. Now, we didn't really think it would be a straightforward Hot Dog eating contest, did we? No. I was going to have to eat the hot dog as fast as I could, but without using my hands. Say what? That's right. Melissa was going to feed it to me. Oh she thought it was hysterical as she was stuffing that hot dog in my mouth. Ugh. But wait, what's that you say Mr DJ? The contest isn't over yet? Now I have to feed a hot dog to Melissa? Ha ha. Revenge is sweet! I actually went easy on her and she's nodding and telling me to feed her more quickly when all of a sudden, she starts gagging. I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but start laughing. She's dry heaving and the DJ is grabbing a towel for her to puke in. I really couldn't stop laughing! I did feel bad for her, but then she started laughing too. After she was better, the DJ decided that we won! She got a prize bag with a bunch of stuff in it like juggling balls, starburst candy, Mardi Gras beads, etc.

She was OK now and she wanted to go to Splash Academy, so off she went. After around 30 minutes, the Handy phone is ringing. She's not feeling well. She blames me and the hot dog. So I pick her up and we go back to the room to relax for the night. This guy made her feel better.

20160109_201451_zpswxqjucyc.jpg

We stayed onboard today. Again, if the timing were different I may have wanted to try one of the excursions but I was very content hanging out on the ship. Dominica looked beautiful. One of the Splash Academy counselors was from here and she was able to get the day off and visit with her family. She was very happy to be able to see her Grandmother. It was very nice that NCL allowed her to have some of her family come onboard and see the ship. She introduced us to her family. It was lovely.

20160110_085231_zpsjjzpkpoc.jpg

20160110_085236_zpscktnyss6.jpg

20160110_085236_zpscktnyss6.jpg

20160110_085245_zpss9ou5obc.jpg

At 10:30am, we went to the Atrium to do the Wii Just Dance. That was lots of fun.

20160110_110509_zpsx5pcrqm8.jpg

20160110_110520_zpsk7v7resb.jpg

The Entertainment staff were always so friendly! He kept asking Melissa which song she wanted to dance to (we weren't the only people there).

20160110_110617_zpsxuevr3qz.jpg

After an hour of dancing, we walked around a bit and I took the obligatory chandelier picture. It really is beautiful, no matter how many times I have seen it.

20160110_114142_zpsqugreeon.jpg

Hi Joanne,

When we were on the Getaway they had a gentleman standing by the Haven pool who cut up fresh fruit every morning. He had a long table filled with almost every imaginable tropical fruit and you could pick what you wanted and he made up a plate. Did they have this on the Breakaway? I sure hope so because I have been looking forward to it. ;)

Thank you, Renee

Then it was back to the Haven for a while.

The Pool area lunch menu

20160110_121716_zpsw96tklwv.jpg

Pool area snacks (self serve)

20160110_121727_zpshnlle5az.jpg

20160110_121738_zpsrumf9ca5.jpg

20160110_121933_zpseqsrkhjq.jpg

20160110_121940_zpsqizxaagq.jpg

Thanks you so much for a great review and the photos.

Question:

If you are in the Haven, can you still have Breakfast and Lunch in Cagney's?

Also, would you have a photo of the dinner menu for the Haven?

Thanks again for a fantastic review.

Don

Thanks you so much for a great review and the photos.

Question:

If you are in the Haven, can you still have Breakfast and Lunch in Cagney's?

Also, would you have a photo of the dinner menu for the Haven?

Thanks again for a fantastic review.

Don

Thanks Don.

If you are on Breakaway, Getaway, or Escape, these ships have a separate Haven restaurant, so they don't have breakfast and lunch in Cagney's.

I'm pretty sure I have a dinner menu, but I've heard that it changed two weeks after our cruise. I will look for it.

Hi Joanne,

When we were on the Getaway they had a gentleman standing by the Haven pool who cut up fresh fruit every morning. He had a long table filled with almost every imaginable tropical fruit and you could pick what you wanted and he made up a plate. Did they have this on the Breakaway? I sure hope so because I have been looking forward to it. ;)

Thank you, Renee

I did not see that, but all you need to do is ask and they will bring you fresh cut fruit. I asked for it a few times while we were sitting around and a few times they just brought it to me. Great service and the fruit was delicious, fresh, and ripe.

We wound up hanging in the Haven pool area for quite a while. It was really nice with the roof open. But OMG the floor got so hot! Be careful.

20160110_122001_zpsazzbdemm.jpg

We spent a lot of time with one of the families we had first met in the waiting area at the terminal. Melissa was so happy to spend time with her new "best friend". We swam, sunned, talked, laughed, ate, and drank most of the afternoon together. I find it funny that we always seem to make friends on a cruise, so far from home, with people that live close enough to us so we can get together after the cruise.

Waiting to leave Dominica. Beautiful. There was an excursion that was late coming back to the ship. We were waiting for 23 people. If those people hadn't been booked with an NCL excursion, the ship could have left without them.

20160110_163523_zpsnekfx1tx.jpg

20160110_164136_zpsu7gtmiud.jpg

Here they come!

20160110_164308_zpssiy8e5au.jpg

This officer was keeping us all posted on their progress.

20160110_164350_zpsj6fy18j2.jpg

And some more people coming. They were in a few busses and I guess they were stuck in traffic on the way back.

20160110_164403_zpsnor0txc6.jpg

20160110_164522_zpsyfi5wnrd.jpg

Tonight we went back to the Raw Bar. We went with the other couple that we met in the terminal.

This is Sandy Boy making our Seafood Platters

20160110_174729_zpsqtoszyyr.jpg

They really go all out on the presentation, using tweezers to place the items in just the right spots.

20160110_174813_zpsz7ryesou.jpg

Fresh and chilled to perfection!

20160110_175629_zpsbh0yuo9a.jpg

20160110_175713_zpsq6i99pqa.jpg

Tuna crudo

20160110_180912_zpsgpwejlpq.jpg

And this amazing sorbet for dessert

20160110_183724_zpspnlj55dl.jpg

I had mentioned before how Melissa watched Hotel Transylvania 2 so many times on this cruise and she and our room steward Ven talked about it a lot. Imagine her surprise when we came back to the room and found this bat hanging out on the TV.

20160110_193641_zpsvtcui6ly.jpg

The picture doesn't do it justice. Ven had our bedroom lights off and had the 2 spotlight bedside lamps shining on it. Priceless.

And our main courses "Seafood Extravaganza" for each of us. Melissa was a little creeped out by the head on shrimp. LOL

By any chance did you guys have the SDP or did you pay ala carte for dinner at ocean blue? We are thinking of doing the SDP and paying extra to try ocean blue and that platter looks great, but I read its off limits with the SDP. So just curious if that information is correct.

Regardless, I'm also planning on a lobster roll and calamari lunch one day. They look great.

Love the review, so much information. Im taking my first cruise in september on the Breakaway and your review is putting my mind at ease from some of the bad things I've read here and there.

By any chance did you guys have the SDP or did you pay ala carte for dinner at ocean blue? We are thinking of doing the SDP and paying extra to try ocean blue and that platter looks great, but I read its off limits with the SDP. So just curious if that information is correct.

Regardless, I'm also planning on a lobster roll and calamari lunch one day. They look great.

Love the review, so much information. Im taking my first cruise in september on the Breakaway and your review is putting my mind at ease from some of the bad things I've read here and there.

We did have the dining plan and it is true that the platter we had was not included, so we did pay extra. It was worth every penny. I would recommend getting the SDP if you plan on going to multiple specialty restaurants.

Thank you for your kind words about my review. I'm glad I could help. We loved the Breakaway. This was our 2nd time on her and we will definitely go back again. Enjoy your cruise!

I had mentioned before how Melissa watched Hotel Transylvania 2 so many times on this cruise and she and our room steward Ven talked about it a lot. Imagine her surprise when we came back to the room and found this bat hanging out on the TV.

20160110_193641_zpsvtcui6ly.jpg

The picture doesn't do it justice. Ven had our bedroom lights off and had the 2 spotlight bedside lamps shining on it. Priceless.

that's pretty cool. our attendant on Allure this summer saw my wife's reaction at the first animal we got and kept them coming every night. had a little zoo by the end of the week.

Edited by Theredofshaw

Thanks Don.

If you are on Breakaway, Getaway, or Escape, these ships have a separate Haven restaurant, so they don't have breakfast and lunch in Cagney's.

I'm pretty sure I have a dinner menu, but I've heard that it changed two weeks after our cruise. I will look for it.

Thanks so much Jo Ann....

After this review and photos, my January cruise in the Haven cannot come soon enough! :)

Don

We did have the dining plan and it is true that the platter we had was not included, so we did pay extra. It was worth every penny. I would recommend getting the SDP if you plan on going to multiple specialty restaurants.

Thank you for your kind words about my review. I'm glad I could help. We loved the Breakaway. This was our 2nd time on her and we will definitely go back again. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for getting back to me. I dont mind paying extra for that. I'm glad that is an option. We are definitely getting the SDP. We are doing a 7 night cruise, so I'm deciding between 3-4 nights.

I want to try ocean blue, cagneys, and maybe moderno. Then we were thinking of maybe using the SDP for one of the dinner shows.