Norwegian Fjords

Wobblylegs19

I was on a norwegian fjords cruise last may and the weather was generally cool. It lashed rain one of the days, completely soaked through and was bright the rest of the days but with a chill. Tempature was about a high of 5 degrees C.

Saying that, my mother and I wore t-shirts and hoodies going out as we didnt find it too bad (from Ireland) but we passed others wearing hat, gloves, scarves and coats.

Overall I would recomment layers, lots and lots of layers. Therefore you can adjust as you go. Also good rain jacket and/or poncho in case it does rain.

Only time we wrapped up really well was leaving Geiranger, the sights are amazing sailing out but the wind really whips at you.

We've experienced hot weather with people sunbathing & in TShirts right through to cold temperatures & heavy sleet. Best to wear layers, as the others have said, taking waterproof/windproof outer clothes & boots. Remember your sunglasses too :)

We have been to Norway last summer (August) and had really warm weather during the day (t-shirt, shorts). Some people even went into the water and a lot were sunbathing. But it depends. April will be much cooler, you might even have snow and especially early mornings ( don't miss the ship cruising into the fjord!) and nights will be really cold.. I would take a fleece jacket or a warm hoodie and a light weight padded jacket and yes, even gloves. Layers are great and something watertight since it can rain.

Weather is funny these days.

You just never know.

Likely cool.

Keith

Oh for those days when April weather was predicatable, eh? :)

It'll be like the UK, but on average a little cooler. As long as you're prepared for a UK April, covering all conditions that any part of England or Scotland might get throughout the month, you'll be OK.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you enjoy your cruise, Wobblylegs :) And hope you don't mind if I tag onto your thread...

We are cruising the Fjords in June (our very first cruise), so I'd be interested to know if anyone can tell me how the weather is likely to be for our cruise. I've researched, of course, and understand we can hope for high temps of 15 or 16C.

I suppose the advice to dress in layers will pretty much apply to us, too? Should we also have gloves/hats/scarves just in case?

We are cruising the Fjords in June (our very first cruise), so I'd be interested to know if anyone can tell me how the weather is likely to be for our cruise. I've researched, of course, and understand we can hope for high temps of 15 or 16C.

I suppose the advice to dress in layers will pretty much apply to us, too? Should we also have gloves/hats/scarves just in case?

I can answer your question about whether anyone can tell you how the weather is likely to be - no, nobody can. I've checked Olden, and the maximum temperature recorded in June was 29 degrees, the minimum 3 degrees. Prepare for all temperatures between that range and you'll be fine. It might rain or it might not - ask me nearer the time (like half an hour before you get off the ship. And even that won't necessarily be right.)

The point being, Norwegian weather is variable, you can't tell what you're going to get. But you're being pessimistic hoping for high temps of 15 or 16 - that's about the average high temp. You can hope for a few degrees above that.

I can answer your question about whether anyone can tell you how the weather is likely to be - no, nobody can. I've checked Olden, and the maximum temperature recorded in June was 29 degrees, the minimum 3 degrees. Prepare for all temperatures between that range and you'll be fine. It might rain or it might not - ask me nearer the time (like half an hour before you get off the ship. And even that won't necessarily be right.)

The point being, Norwegian weather is variable, you can't tell what you're going to get. But you're being pessimistic hoping for high temps of 15 or 16 - that's about the average high temp. You can hope for a few degrees above that.

Many thanks, dsrdsrdsr. It's good to hear that we can hope for warmer than 15 or 16 - it seems wise to still be prepared for rain and/or cold, though. I will, however, leave our wellies at home...