Things to do in Livorno

midwestchick

There are certainly a few folks that will tell you about the charms of Livorno, but we have always suspected they work for the local tourist agency :). When folks tell us they have seen everything or many places in this region we smile. DW and I have spent many weeks in Tuscany, and have yet to even dent the region. And we have also spent many nights (and a few days) in Florence and still like to stop there for at least a couple of nights whenever driving in the region. So, we assume you have been to Florence many times, Sienna, Lucca, Volterra, San Gimignano, the S222 wine road between Florence and Sienna, smaller towns like Cole val d'Elsa, the 5 villages of Cinque Terre, etc. And assuming you have done all this stuff a few times we really do not have any great suggestions. On the other hand, you could simply rent a car and drive some of the smaller secondary roads of Western Tuscany and just see what is over the next hill.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

There are certainly a few folks that will tell you about the charms of Livorno, but we have always suspected they work for the local tourist agency :). When folks tell us they have seen everything or many places in this region we smile. DW and I have spent many weeks in Tuscany, and have yet to even dent the region. And we have also spent many nights (and a few days) in Florence and still like to stop there for at least a couple of nights whenever driving in the region. So, we assume you have been to Florence many times, Sienna, Lucca, Volterra, San Gimignano, the S222 wine road between Florence and Sienna, smaller towns like Cole val d'Elsa, the 5 villages of Cinque Terre, etc. And assuming you have done all this stuff a few times we really do not have any great suggestions. On the other hand, you could simply rent a car and drive some of the smaller secondary roads of Western Tuscany and just see what is over the next hill.

Hank

We have seen a lot of places, including Florence a few times. I'm sure there is much more to cover and we will be seeing different places in May and August and again in 2017, but thought if Livorno was worth seeing, we wouldn't bother booking a driver or a tour on our second day. It would give us a more leisurely day also. Renting a car is not something we want to do, but thanks for the suggestion.

We have seen a lot of places, including Florence a few times. I'm sure there is much more to cover and we will be seeing different places in May and August and again in 2017, but thought if Livorno was worth seeing, we wouldn't bother booking a driver or a tour on our second day. It would give us a more leisurely day also. Renting a car is not something we want to do, but thanks for the suggestion.

One reason we prefer to rent a car is because it gives us total flexibility to go where we please, when we please. And it allows us to do this at a very reasonable cost. Even if you pay the extra dollars to have a car delivered right to your pier (Sifracar does this) the cost of a car for an entire day will generally be about $120. If two are in the car this is a pretty good deal. Take along another couple and the cost becomes really reasonable when compared to most private or cruise line excursions.

On an overnight in Livorno we might also consider spending the night ashore in a place like Florence. While this city is a great day trip, it is even a better place when you do not have to worry about the time. And spending a night off the ship means you can enjoy a really nice dinner in a real Italian restaurant. We think of Livorno as simply a "gateway" port for a good part of Tuscany. Having an overnight means you have the ability to go almost anywhere in Tuscany and not rush back to the ship. It is quite an opportunity.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. I've read many of your posts on this forum and know you try to be very helpful. We have been in Florence at night before and I have to agree with what you said. On our first day we have a 9 hour excursion planned for the first day and will see new places. Since it's a port intensive cruise, I just want to find out if it is worth seeing Livorno and do an easy day.

By the way, we book private excursions and spend about the same amount for a fantastic tour. No hassle of renting and returning a car.

Edited by midwestchick

Well I certainly do not work for the Livorno Tourist Board but we really enjoy our cruise stops in the town. Having done all the usual excursions we have stayed in the town on the last 2 occasions.

The canal boat trip is fascinating - and excellent value - and there are some wonderful artisan shops and stunning churches to explore. The indoor market should not be missed.

We have been to Livorno many times and usually go to other places however a couple of times we have just walked around.

We just walked without a plan and it worked out well.

And that is what I would do.

We just walked up and down street upon street and just stopped wherever we thought looked interesting whether that was to take photos of the exteriors of buildings or to walk into churches or to walk around markets. There is also a beach area that we walked over to and if you want to have lunch there are lots of places to enjoy as well.

Once in awhile on a Med Cruise it's nice to just have a day that is not structured whether one stays on the ship or just walks around without a plan. You can walk for several hours without a plan there and then either have lunch back on the ship or in town.

To me this is part of the experience.

Keith

You are very welcome.

A nice market to visit would be the Mercato Centrale. It is open everyday other than Sunday.

This map will give you a feel as to where it is in relationship to the port.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/tuscany/livorno/restaurants/market/mercato-centrale

For restaurants I really recommend deciding when you are there. In other words walk around and see what appeals to you. We try to go for lunch where local might dine.

Keith

You are very welcome.

A nice market to visit would be the Mercato Centrale. It is open everyday other than Sunday.

This map will give you a feel as to where it is in relationship to the port.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/tuscany/livorno/restaurants/market/mercato-centrale

For restaurants I really recommend deciding when you are there. In other words walk around and see what appeals to you. We try to go for lunch where local might dine.

Keith

Approximately how long does it take to walk from the port to the market?

KirkNC....we spent a full day in Lucca and loved it. Want to see something different.

Approximately how long does it take to walk from the port to the market?

KirkNC....we spent a full day in Lucca and loved it. Want to see something different.

I think from where we were dropped off by the port shuttle it was a 20 minute walk.

Keith

I think from where we were dropped off by the port shuttle it was a 20 minute walk.

Keith

I'll have to see if Azamara has a port shuttle. I just pulled up some YouTube videos of the market...we love markets. There's also a large market in Barcelona we plan on visiting.

Thanks for sharing your photos Keith1010. We will be in Livorno this November. Although we will probably do a tour of the region, I hope we get a chance to tour the city.

I also posted my question on the Azamara forum. Someone posted this website for Livorno.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destination/Italy/65132/Livorno-cruise-port-guide.html

Thanks for sharing your photos Keith1010. We will be in Livorno this November. Although we will probably do a tour of the region, I hope we get a chance to tour the city.

You are welcome.

If you have not been there before or just a couple of times there is lots to see outside of Livorno from Lucca to Florence and Pissa that I highly recommend but for those who have been there numerous times or just want to take a day off from heavy touring you can explore Livorno.

Keith

I may be wrong but it looks like everyone has been everywhere ... and didn't find nothing particularly interesting in Livorno. In a way I agree: Livorno is far from being on par with Lucca, Siena, San Gimignano, Volterra, Pisa or Florence. Lost count on how many time I have been in Livorno ... over 100 for sure and been in all places close by and NOT so close.

Unlike many, I always enjoyed my days in Livorno although there isn't much to see-do on a overnight. Lucca and Volterra are my favorite destinations nearby. Off the beaten track Pisa has some charming spots as well. Sienna is WONDERFUL and San Gimignano a MUST see. Florence an eternal pleasure.

For reasons that reason doesn't explain, I got a slap in the wrist for divulging with links a website I developed providing all information about LIVORNO, and other ports. You may all find good and interesting information on this website - it covers absolutely everything and is way better than Fodors, Frommers, LonelyPlanet, and all the guides around (online or paper). And it doesn't have PUBLICITY, ads and all that rubbish. As strange as it may sound I'm not selling anything. So, if you check my profile you will see the website. Feel free to link it yourselves - as I'm not allowed and you can.

Just finished editing Volterra as a destination and, in the next couple of weeks, will be updating Lucca, San Gimignano and all the rest. Hope you enjoy and it is helpful.

Ooooops, forgot to mention ... it has Maps, good ones NOT Google sort of thing!

Edited by D-Portman
misspeling

I suppose not breaking rules as long as I don't post links. You can copy paste on your browser. Livorno and Volterra are at the bottom of the page:

iqcruising.com

Smooth sailings

Edited by D-Portman
removing link

I suppose not breaking rules as long as I don't post links. You can copy paste on your browser. Livorno and Volterra are at the bottom of the page:

iqcruising.com

Smooth sailings

I did check it out. Thank you.

I have a feeling cc might think you're a travel agent because of the FB thing.