Melbourne vs. Sydney - airport arrivals question

I was wondering if the Aussie experts here would have an opinion on the better of the two airports (Melbourne or Sydney) to fly into from the U.S., or if they're both about the same as far as crowding in the immigration area.

This is why I'm asking.

Just over five years ago I flew into Sydney for vacation. I had prescription meds with me which I dutifully declared on my customs form. Well, the person screening the arrivals saw that I'd checked the box for having medication and directed me to a very long line to be checked. An hour later, I'd barely moved and at some point I realized I was in a line with two large plane loads of passengers who had just arrived from China (I think). I had been awake for over 30 hours and was about to pass out from standing in one place in a hot airport for that long. Finally, another Customs agent saw me and came over and asked what I was doing in that line (I must have stuck out like a sore thumb in a crowd of 400+ Asians) and I told him. He asked me what I had, and when I said I had a months worth of thyroid medication, he rolled his eyes and told me to get out of the line and go through another doorway. That doorway led me out to freedom. I was exhausted at that point.

So, long story, but I really don't want to have to experience that again, so I'm wondering if Melbourne would be any better, or maybe Brisbane? It really doesn't matter much where I initially fly into because I'll be connecting to a flight to Adelaide from wherever I arrive to spend a few days there before my cruise anyway.

It would really depend on what other airlines/flights arrive at the same time a or just prior to you.

However, as you are going onto Adelaide, I would choose Melbourne.

1. The airport is somewhat easier to get from International through to Domestic.
  2. Customs and Immigration seem to be less busy on most of my arrivals there as opposed to Sydney where some have been really busy and others haven't been.
  3. Flights from Melbourne to Adelaide are slightly cheaper compared to when from Sydney and the International flights often are the same price for either airport.

Good luck.

Edited by MicCanberra

It would really depend on what other airlines/flights arrive at the same time a or just prior to you.

However, as you are going onto Adelaide, I would choose Melbourne.

1. The airport is somewhat easier to get from International through to Domestic.
  2. Customs and Immigration seem to be less busy on most of my arrivals there as opposed to Sydney where some have been really busy and others haven't been.
  3. Flights from Melbourne to Adelaide are slightly cheaper compared to when from Sydney and the International flights often are the same price for either airport.

Good luck.

Thank you so much. I'm just starting to plan/dream for my 2018 trip, but since this was on my mind I thought I'd ask early. Royal Caribbean should be releasing its 2018 itineraries in just a couple months - I'm so impatient :o

I'll be using frequent flier miles for the international portion of the trip, so cost won't be an issue until the domestic portion of the trip. I did look into using frequent flier miles for the entire journey, but for whatever reason, going on to Adelaide increases the required miles by a huge amount, and like you said, the cost of the domestic flight will be fairly reasonable.

I think Melbourne is a worthwhile suggestion.

That said, Sydney processing has changed substantially in the past 5 years. You can still get longish queues, but I've never had any that long recently, and the way you are processed has changed immensely at immigration and Customs arrivals.

Tip for declaring your meds. Write on the card next to the box what you are declaring eg personal prescription meds only. Customs are only looking for illegal drugs.

When you are in that long line after collecting your bags, an agent now usually goes up and down the line filtering out the baddies and most passengers are let out thru the express non declare line.

Agree that in your case Melbourne would be the easier airport in particular for connecting to domestic flights as they wil most likely be in the same or nearby complex. Sydney domestic is on the other side of the airport.

Btw. 2018 deployments for Australia probably wont be out until after March, sometimes even May.

Sydney is a very old airport stretched to the limit these days by the sheer passenger throughput . Also the International and Domestic terminals are on oppositte sides of the Airport and you have to take a shuttle bus between the two .

Melbourne on the other hand is much newer and has the International & Domestic terminals in adjoining buildings .

So definitely fly into Melbourne . From the US that gives you these options :

- Qantas daily ex Los Angeles on A 380

- Air New Zealand via Auckland daily from Dallas Fort Worth, Los Angeles or San Francisco.on Boeing 777.

- United ex Los Angeles daily on the Dreamliner 787 .

Connecting Domestic flights from Melbourne to Adelaide frequent departures - Mainline service carriers Qantas & Virgin Australia, Discount Carriers Jetstar and Tiger Airways . (Caveat Emptor - the two discount carriers are just, and you get what you pay for !!! )

PS: Customs & Immigration processing is generally much speedier on arrival at Melbourne (compared to Sydney.)

I always answer NO to that question in respect of my prescription medicines and have never been pulled up.

What they are after is commercial quantities, steriods etc . Thats why the Customs Officer rolled his eyes .

Just carry a note from your Medical practitioner what you are taking and what for and you will be OK .

Edited by kuldalai

I would fly into Melbourne, so much easier to transfer from International to Domestic, and generally less busy than Sydney. With the meds, they're also changed the incoming passenger cars wording in the last couple of years, and now only asks you to declare any controlled substances. For instance I declared the steroids and opiate pain killers I had, and they had a quick look and waved me through.

Definitely Melbourne ( not that I'm biased as a born and bred Melbournian [emoji23]) much easier to transit from international to domestic, you just have to go left or right out the doors depending on the airline as opposed to getting on a shuttle bus.

I haven't personally flown into Sydney international but I've never had a huge issue clearing customs coming home from holidays but it really depends on the other flights that arrive at the same time. As the OP said, she was stuck in a declaration queue after 2 flights of Chinese customers - I've had the same experience! Just all depends on the time of day

You could have a similar customs experience at Melbourne, so I wouldn't let that sway your choice. However, knowing that you're connecting to a domestic flight, I would definitely opt for Melbourne. Sydney airport is a train wreck when it comes to navigating between domestic and international terminals. Especially as you will be booking two separate flight segments (one with miles to Australia, then one domestic flight booking with cash) you'll be responsible for your own transport to the domestic terminal in Sydney. Note that this will not apply if you book with the same airline and are able to link your reservations and get your baggage transferred across also.

Either way, go Melbourne lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the meds, they're also changed the incoming passenger cars wording in the last couple of years, and now only asks you to declare any controlled substances. For instance I declared the steroids and opiate pain killers I had, and they had a quick look and waved me through.

That's good to know. Thank you.

Sydney is a very old airport stretched to the limit these days by the sheer passenger throughput . Also the International and Domestic terminals are on oppositte sides of the Airport and you have to take a shuttle bus between the two .

Melbourne on the other hand is much newer and has the International & Domestic terminals in adjoining buildings .

So definitely fly into Melbourne . From the US that gives you these options :

- Qantas daily ex Los Angeles on A 380

- Air New Zealand via Auckland daily from Dallas Fort Worth, Los Angeles or San Francisco.on Boeing 777.

- United ex Los Angeles daily on the Dreamliner 787 .

Connecting Domestic flights from Melbourne to Adelaide frequent departures - Mainline service carriers Qantas & Virgin Australia, Discount Carriers Jetstar and Tiger Airways . (Caveat Emptor - the two discount carriers are just, and you get what you pay for !!! )

PS: Customs & Immigration processing is generally much speedier on arrival at Melbourne (compared to Sydney.)

I always answer NO to that question in respect of my prescription medicines and have never been pulled up.

What they are after is commercial quantities, steriods etc . Thats why the Customs Officer rolled his eyes .

Just carry a note from your Medical practitioner what you are taking and what for and you will be OK .

I have the worst memory. One might think I'd remember the transfer process in Sydney because I had to do that on my last (one and only) trip to Australia. I flew home from Melbourne through Sydney and would have had to transfer. I guess I'm so used to flying now, and don't really think much of having to take shuttles, and transfer from one building to another. It all seems normal to me.

On my other trip there, I flew Qantas with American Airlines miles I'd been saving up for years (first class :D ) and we arrived late into Sydney. It wasn't a big deal to be late because Sydney was my first stop on my four city trip of a lifetime. Looking back, I wonder if I would have missed out on the long immigration/customs queue if we'd been on time. Hmmm.

One interesting thing about my late flight - there were three Qantas flights out of LAX to Australia that night: one to Sydney, one to Melbourne, and one to Brisbane. We were held up waiting for the Qantas connecting flight from New York. This is when I learned that it was legal for a foreign carrier to fly between U.S. cities if ALL the passengers were connecting to foreign flights. Anyway, the Melbourne and Brisbane flights left on time, and almost all those connecting passengers ended up on my flight to Sydney. I sat across from a couple who had been on their way home to Brisbane and would now have to get a connection once they arrived in Sydney.

This time, I will be on the United flight because that's who my miles are with. A dreamliner 787 sounds great. Too bad I won't be in first class this time around :(

Definitely Melbourne ( not that I'm biased as a born and bred Melbournian [emoji23]) much easier to transit from international to domestic, you just have to go left or right out the doors depending on the airline as opposed to getting on a shuttle bus.

I haven't personally flown into Sydney international but I've never had a huge issue clearing customs coming home from holidays but it really depends on the other flights that arrive at the same time. As the OP said, she was stuck in a declaration queue after 2 flights of Chinese customers - I've had the same experience! Just all depends on the time of day

I wish I could spend some time in Melbourne on this trip. I spent five days there on my first trip, staying at the Hotel Windsor. I loved your city.

You could have a similar customs experience at Melbourne, so I wouldn't let that sway your choice. However, knowing that you're connecting to a domestic flight, I would definitely opt for Melbourne. Sydney airport is a train wreck when it comes to navigating between domestic and international terminals. Especially as you will be booking two separate flight segments (one with miles to Australia, then one domestic flight booking with cash) you'll be responsible for your own transport to the domestic terminal in Sydney. Note that this will not apply if you book with the same airline and are able to link your reservations and get your baggage transferred across also.

Either way, go Melbourne lol.

Having to pick up luggage and then go through the check in process again is definitely something for me to consider. I have a tendency to book flights with very long layovers because I'm scared of missing connections on those long haul flights. I hope the Melbourne airport can keep me entertained for at least four or five hours :D If I arrive in Melbourne at 7:25 a.m. (this year's arrival time), I'll probably not book the flight out to Adelaide until at least noon to allow for possible delays, immigration, picking up my bag, making my way to the domestic terminal and checking in at Qantas/Virgin/other for the short flight. I think I won't plan to do anything in Adelaide that first day, just sleep

Tip for declaring your meds. Write on the card next to the box what you are declaring eg personal prescription meds only. Customs are only looking for illegal drugs.

When you are in that long line after collecting your bags, an agent now usually goes up and down the line filtering out the baddies and most passengers are let out thru the express non declare line.

Agree that in your case Melbourne would be the easier airport in particular for connecting to domestic flights as they wil most likely be in the same or nearby complex. Sydney domestic is on the other side of the airport.

Btw. 2018 deployments for Australia probably wont be out until after March, sometimes even May.

That's a great tip. I wonder why it took so long for the customs guy in Sydney to figure out I wasn't a baddy :confused: :p

According to Royal Caribbean, the Australia itineraries will be released the week of March 21. We'll see if they stick with what they published, for once :rolleyes:

Oh, and Happy Australia Day!

I can't wait for this trip. My first trip to Oz is still the best vacation ever. I don't think this one will top it (mainly because I'm flying down for a cruise, not another land tour), but I'm still going to have a wonderful time. Last time I spent several days in Sydney, Cairns, Brisbane and Melbourne. This time it will just be Adelaide for a few days, and then one day in Sydney before the cruise.

Oh, and Happy Australia Day!

I can't wait for this trip. My first trip to Oz is still the best vacation ever. I don't think this one will top it (mainly because I'm flying down for a cruise, not another land tour), but I'm still going to have a wonderful time. Last time I spent several days in Sydney, Cairns, Brisbane and Melbourne. This time it will just be Adelaide for a few days, and then one day in Sydney before the cruise.

Thanks, we are having a lamb roast to celebrate. Enjoy your trip and cruise.:D

If I arrive in Melbourne at 7:25 a.m. (this year's arrival time), I'll probably not book the flight out to Adelaide until at least noon to allow for possible delays, immigration, picking up my bag, making my way to the domestic terminal and checking in at Qantas/Virgin/other for the short flight.

It's not guaranteed, but an accommodating check-in agent on your connecting flight might offer you an earlier flight (space available). It never hurts to ask the question if you are a few hours early for your scheduled flight.

Also, if you have lounge access to either Qantas or Virgin (or both) it might be handy to know that, in Melbourne, the Virgin Lounge is before security (so you can take in your hold luggage if too early to check in for your flight), but Qantas is after security.

Edited by Aus ATC