Culinary classes--Happy Birthday Jacques/Patio Pleasures

hiccups

Has anyone taken either of these classes at the culinary center that could provide a bit more information, such as techniques learned or what you prepare? DH and I can't agree on which one we'd like to do. I think we'd both like the Amore Italiano, but sadly it's offered on a port day.

I took the "Happy Birthday Jacques" course on Marina this past August. It was fast-paced and a lot of fun. I don't know that I learned much new technique, but it was a good refresher of some basic knife skills, proper position for holding a whisk, and some stove top methods. The menu may well change from cruise to cruise, but we made two different simple salads with two different vinaigrettes, a chickpea socca (the socca was already prepared, we just sauteed it.) A stuffed chicked breast with sauce (the chicken breast had already been stuffed), and crepes. We also had a glass of a sparkling rose. Everything was very good, and I've used some of the recipes at home. If you're thinking of taking a class, I'd suggest you sign up for it online as soon as it's available, you can cancel later if you change your mind. My husband wasn't sure if he wanted to take it or not, and by the time he decided he did, it was already filled.

Has anyone taken either of these classes at the culinary center that could provide a bit more information, such as techniques learned or what you prepare? DH and I can't agree on which one we'd like to do. I think we'd both like the Amore Italiano, but sadly it's offered on a port day.

It's only $50/person/class. We've done both among many others. In fact Jacques Pepin made an appearance at the one with his name on it (this past summer on Med cruise on Riviera.

Do them both.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

It's only $50/person/class.

Did they lower the prices of the cooking classes or was it just those specific ones that were cheaper?

We had the other classes & all were about the same price of $69 pp

Did they lower the prices of the cooking classes or was it just those specific ones that were cheaper?

We had the other classes & all were about the same price of $69 pp

I think you're right about $69. I know it was either $49 or $69 for each class - all the same price. Even at $69, it's a fun and informative 90+ minutes.

I did the “Happy Birthday Jacques” and really enjoyed the class – and would recommend it. As far as learning anything – the stuffed chicken breast was very tasty as were the crepes. The highlight was leaning about Clarified Butter as I never knew what that was all about and do love to cook with a little butter from time to time. I now keep a homemade supply of in my fridge.

I found the recipes not the healthiest and a bit old school but a great guide - after all, a recipe is just a suggestion for you to tweak to suit your needs and taste.

As far as the instruction in whisk and knife skills – all I can say is – you can’t teach and old dog new tricks.:rolleyes:

Great fun!:D