Solstice Recommendation Please?

duchesslt

Hi, all! I booked the Celebrity Solstice for June, 2017 Alaska Itinerary. The group I booked consists of ages 71, 50, 48, 40, 39, 16 and 14 at the time of sailing.

I am trying to figure out if this is a good ship for a multi-generation family. It seems like Celebrity is more of a sedate cruise with their highlighted activities being glass blowing demonstrations and their own production shows. However, it seems like Celebrity gets high ratings on food and service.

Is this a good line to take to Alaska for young through old? I know it's a port intensive itinerary and expect to be spending a lot of time off the ship.

We booked 2 connecting cabins with the "go best" package and my brother/spouse booked concierge class to be away from 71 year old mom/ my teens.

If anyone can share experiences on Solstice and why they are a good family friendly cruise line, I'd be grateful. Thanks!

PS - I just got off the Norwegian Escape and that really was kid/teen friendly if not focused. I'm worried that my son will find Solstice boring?

Will be just fine. With all the port stops you are either looking at the scenery go by or off on a port visit. Did a cruise last year on X to Alaska and there were a goodly number of kids, but mine basically hung by themselves and did "stuff". rarely saw them except at dinner. Our group was 67, 66, 51, 46, 21, 17, 16 in 3 cabins.

Celebrity does not have activities like ropes course, water slides and such that Norwegian has.

But I'm sure the teens will enjoy it, Alaska is an adventure in it's own with nature and wildlife. We cruised the Solstice last June and loved it. If I had a complaint it would be the last port day in Victoria is a waste you get there so late in the day your time to tour around is limited.

The lectures were good if you want to see my photo review of our cruise check out this link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2230637

Thanks for the replies! Loutheglue you need to start a cruising blog. I also saw your getaway and escape pics and you blow away travel blog pics and commentary. I am sure cruise lines would pay you to sail them and provide those recaps with links to book direct!

Alaska is an amazing place and I think all ages will enjoy it. Even when you are on the ship, there are whales and dolphins and beautiful scenery. As someone else mentioned the naturalist talks were interesting and entertaining.

There is a link to my review with pictures in my signature.

Alaska is an amazing place and I think all ages will enjoy it. Even when you are on the ship, there are whales and dolphins and beautiful scenery. As someone else mentioned the naturalist talks were interesting and entertaining.

There is a link to my review with pictures in my signature.

Liked your picture review, too! Thanks for posting. I am hoping the floatplane excursion and the glacier/dogsledding helicopter excursion are memorable for the boys!