2 Questions...Fitness Center? Cabin Number?

sassy~one

I think you will find the name of your ship is the Maasdam :)

Yes, there is a fitness centre and there is no charge. Only charge is for classes.

You may not get your cabin #, until a couple of weeks before you sail. I gather you have a booked a Guarantee. Do you have your Docs yet?

You can check to see if you have been assigned a cabin, by filling out the Immigration form on HAL's web site. Just click on "For Booked Guest" and follow the instructions.

Do I understand it that can just go in and use any available equipment? Also is there someone who would you instruction as to how to use it, as long as it wasn't busy I mean. This would be an opportunity to see if we could really make use it before we go ahead and purchase or enroll at Good Life. Is this expecting too much of the service? We don't want to be a bother.

Do I understand it that can just go in and use any available equipment? Also is there someone who would you instruction as to how to use it, as long as it wasn't busy I mean. Is this expecting too much of the service? We don't want to be a bother.

You won't be a bother; that's what the staff is paid for. If the cold towels need replenishing---ask. There should also be a pile of dry towels. Sometimes that needs restocking; ask.

Yes, you just go in and use any piece of equipment that's not already in use. There should be staff there to orient you to the proper useage; if no one comes over to help, just go to them. Frequently there will be another passenger who can help out---every year I need a brief refresher course on how to operate the treadmill.

I will say that on my recent Maasdam cruise I found the treadmills to be in terrible shape; it seemed there was something the matter with every last one of them. Some of them didn't change speeds/levels easily; some didn't register heart rate; can't remember what all the difficulties were. I just found the treadmill that did what I was looking for and used it consistently.

There are no plans to fix the equipment before the SOE upgrades are done. I asked.

Ruth....I so know what you mean about the treadmills. I never can seem to figure out about the pre-programmed workouts. I don't want their fancy change of speeds etc. I like to control the speed and incline myself. When I want it to go faster, I like to be able to simply hit the up arrows. I never did find any of the treadmills that accurately measured heart rate. I don't think any of them were accurate.

We won't be back to 'my' :) Maasdam until after her SOE upgrades. I hope there are new treadmills in the gym by the time we return.

Exactly, sail. I like it on manual over-ride, too, and can never remember how to work it. Now, with new machines coming after the SOE I guess I'll just have to forget a whole different method!

It wasn't that the treadmills didn't measure heart rate precisely---even the best ones can't be fully trusted on that score---but that some of them wouldn't take a measurement at all. That's the one thing I do try to keep track of all during my workout. I can always check distance at the end, and calorie count goes down as weight does. But I figure that if I use the same machine every time there should be a consistency in the heart rate it shows. Keeping the heart rate in the target range matters.

Thank you for your help and advice. I am pretty we will need to do exercising along with the walks we will be taking. We are on the south beach diet and will try to keep to it as much as possible, but we are on vacation, so we are there to enjoy the days.

I'm not trying to lose weight necessarily but eat South Beach as a way of life for me.

I think it to be a very healthy way of eating and have never had any difficulty finding South Beach friendly foods on all HAL ships.

We get all the fresh fruit we could want, some good (though not the absolute best) choices for cold cereals, 1 %/skim milk, loads of fresh veggies at Lido salad bar every lunchtime. There is always fish available each meal, a chicken breast, steak. Olive Oil/balasamic vinegar available for salads.

You may have to skip a few things you are accustomed to having when home but, like you say, it's vacation!!! :)

Enjoy and don't worry about it. If you slip a little while on the ship, you can quickly get back on track when you get home.

In a perfect world, I wish we could get whole wheat pasta when aboard. I'd really enjoy some marinara sauce from the pasta bar at lunch if I could get whole wheat pasta. Once in a while on a ship I have been able to have it but not consistently.

Archived