Cabin Changed

crysanne

I booked a May cruise on Triumph out of NOLA recently on an early saver fare. I was able to pick my room and was really looking forward to a lido balcony. The price has been dropping...yay...so I called in for the adjustment. I was a little miffed to learn that the sailing is now under occupancy restrictions and my lido balcony was a 4 person room due to it having a rollaway bed stashed in there. The rep on the phone said she had to change my room assignment to a 3 person room or Carnival would. After debating the finer points of roll away beds....they can roll it to another room and problem solved. She wouldn't bend...so I ended up picking another balcony on the panorama deck 10. I'm satisfied with my location overall, but a tad nervous about it being more forward than my lido room was. My last forward cabin was not a good experience ( fantasy class, rough seas, and morning sickness). What are the good / bad of panorama deck balconies?

Moral of the story: don't book a cabin that holds more than you need and then fiddle with that booking for a price drop unless you want to risk being forcibly relocated (as they have every right to do).

Excellent warning to others who may be in a similar situation.

Our last cruise was a spa balcony that was very far forward. We were worried too but there was never a problem. We never felt movement or anything. We've sailed the Triumph before and you will love it. The bigger ships are much smoother than the smaller fantasy class ships. I wouldn't worry about it. Actually there is more noise and crowds on the lido deck than there is on the panorama deck. When we had a lido deck cabin we liked the convenience and location but hated the huge crowds waiting for all of the elevators. There won't be crowds waiting for the elevators on deck 10. :)

I booked a May cruise on Triumph out of NOLA recently on an early saver fare. I was able to pick my room and was really looking forward to a lido balcony. The price has been dropping...yay...so I called in for the adjustment. I was a little miffed to learn that the sailing is now under occupancy restrictions and my lido balcony was a 4 person room due to it having a rollaway bed stashed in there. The rep on the phone said she had to change my room assignment to a 3 person room or Carnival would.

Can anyone explain how this makes sense?

3 people in a 4 person room. There are occupancy restrictions for this cruise so Carnival opens up a 4 person room to.....add more people? :confused: Something isn't right here.

Can anyone explain how this makes sense?

3 people in a 4 person room. There are occupancy restrictions for this cruise so Carnival opens up a 4 person room to.....add more people? :confused: Something isn't right here.

I agree !

Not sure if the OP just didn't include all the facts or the TA is pulling something.

The concept of the cruise being capacity controlled and being moved to accommodate 4 more people are in direct opposition to each other.

More than likely when she first booked it didn't look like it would be crowded or sold out so they didn't enforce the maximum occupancy in each cabin. But when you book 3 people in a 4 person cabin it says in the fine print that they reserve the right to move you to a 3 person cabin if the need arose. Evidently the need arose, they are likely almost sold out and are confident that they can move her to a 3 person cabin and then sell her cabin to 4 people. Four person cabins are very popular and easy to sell. The 3 person cabins are a little harder to book. The more bodies they get on the ship the more money they make so it makes sense from a financial standpoint. It doesn't make it easy on us though. I feel bad for anyone that gets bumped like that. Oh and the reason they can't move the rollaway to another cabin is because they have to stick to the official designation on how many can stay in each cabin. Legally they aren't supposed to put 4 people in a 3 person cabin but they can go less and put 3 people in a 4 person cabin.

More than likely when she first booked it didn't look like it would be crowded or sold out so they didn't enforce the maximum occupancy in each cabin. But when you book 3 people in a 4 person cabin it says in the fine print that they reserve the right to move you to a 3 person cabin if the need arose. Evidently the need arose, they are likely almost sold out and are confident that they can move her to a 3 person cabin and then sell her cabin to 4 people. Four person cabins are very popular and easy to sell. The 3 person cabins are a little harder to book. The more bodies they get on the ship the more money they make so it makes sense from a financial standpoint. It doesn't make it easy on us though. I feel bad for anyone that gets bumped like that. Oh and the reason they can't move the rollaway to another cabin is because they have to stick to the official designation on how many can stay in each cabin. Legally they aren't supposed to put 4 people in a 3 person cabin but they can go less and put 3 people in a 4 person cabin.

All well and good, but OP specifically states the cruise is now capacity controlled - so moving them to make way for 4 additional people seems odd.

Unless the change was agreed to some time ago by the TA and the TA failed to inform the client until now - which seems possible. Who knows.

All well and good, but OP specifically states the cruise is now capacity controlled - so moving them to make way for 4 additional people seems odd.

Unless the change was agreed to some time ago by the TA and the TA failed to inform the client until now - which seems possible. Who knows.

"Capacity controlled" or "occupancy restriction" basically means that they are requiring the maximum amount of people in each room. So if it's a 4-person room, you must be a party of 4 to get that room. If you are a party of 3, you must get a room that only sleeps 3 max. (Solos must book a 2-person room, since there are no single rooms.) In this particular case, if they didn't move this party of 3, then a party of 4 that comes long later might not be able to find an available 4-person room. Maybe that has already happened, and the party of 4 was waiting for this party of 3 to get moved to a triple. Lots of possibilities here. I just wonder why it wasn't under these restrictions before, but it was now. Like the one poster said, it could be that it became a more popular sailing than Carnival anticipated.

Who said anything about a TA? OP said she called and spoke to a rep who explained Carnival's rules on the cabins being capacity controlled.

Why do people grab any opportunity to bash travel agents is beyond me.

"Capacity controlled" or "occupancy restriction" basically means that they are requiring the maximum amount of people in each room. So if it's a 4-person room, you must be a party of 4 to get that room. If you are a party of 3, you must get a room that only sleeps 3 max. (Solos must book a 2-person room, since there are no single rooms.) In this particular case, if they didn't move this party of 3, then a party of 4 that comes long later might not be able to find an available 4-person room. Maybe that has already happened, and the party of 4 was waiting for this party of 3 to get moved to a triple. Lots of possibilities here. I just wonder why it wasn't under these restrictions before, but it was now. Like the one poster said, it could be that it became a more popular sailing than Carnival anticipated.

This is 100% correct. As demand increases, especially for quads, the cruiseline now strictly follow the occupancy restriction rule on popular sailings. While you are sometimes still allowed to berth 2 people in a triple or a quad, they WILL move you if the triple or quad is needed or can sell fast.

I booked a May cruise on Triumph out of NOLA recently on an early saver fare. I was able to pick my room and was really looking forward to a lido balcony. The price has been dropping...yay...so I called in for the adjustment. I was a little miffed to learn that the sailing is now under occupancy restrictions and my lido balcony was a 4 person room due to it having a rollaway bed stashed in there. The rep on the phone said she had to change my room assignment to a 3 person room or Carnival would. After debating the finer points of roll away beds....they can roll it to another room and problem solved. She wouldn't bend...so I ended up picking another balcony on the panorama deck 10. I'm satisfied with my location overall, but a tad nervous about it being more forward than my lido room was. My last forward cabin was not a good experience ( fantasy class, rough seas, and morning sickness). What are the good / bad of panorama deck balconies?

Why should she bend? She was following and enforcing Carnival's rules. Do you not do that for your employer?

OP here...the room I had originally booked was 9279. On the deck plans, it indicated 2 twins and 1 upper pullman. The presence of the roll away bed was what made it a 4 person room. I'm actually glad we ended up moving and that Carnival gave me the opportunity to pick rather than just putting me where ever they choose. I'm looking forward to less foot traffic around the cabin.

OP here...the room I had originally booked was 9279. On the deck plans, it indicated 2 twins and 1 upper pullman. The presence of the roll away bed was what made it a 4 person room. I'm actually glad we ended up moving and that Carnival gave me the opportunity to pick rather than just putting me where ever they choose. I'm looking forward to less foot traffic around the cabin.

That rollaway issue does make things more complicated, since you can't see on the deck plans which rooms allow a rollaway and which ones don't. If you sail on a newer ship than Triumph/Victory in the future, rest assured that this issue won't come up, as the newer ships are not allowed to have rollaways.

I'm glad that you're happy with the results. It's only one deck down to the buffet & main pool. Plus, the pool & hot tub that are below the waterslide are on the Panorama deck, just a short walk from your room. I also tend to prefer that deck for laying out in the sun.