China visa

mlkitt3

We are on the Millenium in Oct Tokyo to Hong Kong we have one day in Port at Shanghai.

Do we need to get a visa before we leave home ?

Does Celebrity organise on ship ones?

Anyone that could give me some information would be much appreciated.

We may not even leave the ship as have been to Shanghai before but need to have all bases covered for what might eventuate!

Do we need visa if not leaving the ship?

Many thanks in advance. 😀

Firstly, whether you are leaving the ship or not is not relevant. In the past cruise companies have asked for a visa in all cases. You are entering Chinese territory in any case.

However, since last week end the visa exemption rules for transit have been clearly changed to accommodate cruises. However it is unclear how this will work for cruises specifically. And it depends on the cruise company's interpretation of the rules.

So I suggest that you ask them and I suspect that for the near future getting a visa is the safe approach.

The visa is only valid for 3 months. We arrive in Shanghai for a port day on 26 march and arranged our visas mid January which allowed plenty of time if there were any problems.

That is 3 months from the date of stamping so don't apply more than 3 months from the arrival date in Shanghai.

To complicate matters over here in the UK the Chinese consulate have stopped issuing single entry visas and now issue 2 year multiple entry ones. This might now apply for Australia as well.

There is another thread on this subject that gives a lot of detail.

I suggest doing a search and read the thread.

However, I will give you a Reader's Digest answer.

We were on the Millennium's Japan and China a few months ago with one port, Shanghai in the entire cruise. Celebrity told us that we could not get the visa if we stayed on the ship, but that if the Chinese authorities changed their policy, we might have to have the visa to board.

We got the visas and as it turned out we didn't need them, however, I did not want to take the chance of not being able to board.

From what I read the new policy is only proposed and has not been approved by higher authorities. Also, not sure it applies to cruise ships.

Keep you eye on cc for news and I suggest emailing your cruise line for guidance.

That is 3 months from the date of stamping so don't apply more than 3 months from the arrival date in Shanghai.

To complicate matters over here in the UK the Chinese consulate have stopped issuing single entry visas and now issue 2 year multiple entry ones. This might now apply for Australia as well.

I don't see how this complicates things, it makes it easier actually.

Regarding the above post, the policy has been effective for a week now. Here is the announcement that refers to ports: http://news.xinhuanet.com/legal/2016-01/26/c_1117898349.htm

• 1 month later...

We are also on the October 2016 Tokyo to HK cruise on Celebrity Millennium. Trying to get confirmation on Visa requirements for the one single stop in Shanghai (for 16 hours). China has supposedly introduced a 144 hour Visa free requirement for 3 cities (Shanghai being one of the 3). If you arrive in Shanghai via the airport, train station or cruise terminal), there should be no requirement for a China Visa, if you reside in one of the 51 listed countries. Still trying to confirm. Celebrity is no help! Got a few months to figure it out. Check out the following link for this Visa news:

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-transit-144hour.htm

My friends and I are also on the October Millennium cruise, and are contemplating the need for a visa. Since we live in Washington, DC, we're planning a jaunt up to the Chinese Embassy in the near future to see if they can provide any clarity. I will post anything I learn.

Of course, if Celebrity doesn't get their act together and ultimately decides they won't let us board without a Chinese visa, it doesn't matter what the embassy says. From my experience visiting Russia via a Celebrity cruise, they didn't require a visa to board the ship, but you could not disembark while in port without one.

According to my discussions with Celebrity, they are not the ones who controls access to their ships (if you can believe that!), its the port authority. In our case it would be the Tokyo port authority. That being said, I totally agree with you, if the worse thing that could happen without a visa (assuming we need one) is that they don't let us off the Millennium when docked in Shanghai, I could live with that "risk". I actually told them to lock us up in security when we are in port in Shanghai, we've been to Shanghai so its not a big miss. Just ticked off that everyone would need to pay $200 +/- for a bloody visa for a 16 hour dock in Shanghai....especially if we don't need one! Plan to walk over to the Chinese Visa centre here in Ottawa and get "official" verdict. Stay tuned.

Please read this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2308519

The worst that can happen is not that you cannot get off the boat in Shanghai. The worst that can happen (which is usually what happens if you do not have proper visas) is that you cannot get on the ship in the first place.

But if you cruise company bothers to understand the rules, then you possibly don't need a visa.

Edited by TravelMore&More

My friends and I are also on the October Millennium cruise, and are contemplating the need for a visa. Since we live in Washington, DC, we're planning a jaunt up to the Chinese Embassy in the near future to see if they can provide any clarity. I will post anything I learn.

Of course, if Celebrity doesn't get their act together and ultimately decides they won't let us board without a Chinese visa, it doesn't matter what the embassy says. From my experience visiting Russia via a Celebrity cruise, they didn't require a visa to board the ship, but you could not disembark while in port without one.

We live on the Maryland side of District and we did go to embassy to get visas. This was before the change in the rules so the one day in Shanghai didn't enter in it. We were advised by the tour agent in China for the 2 week tour of China we took before the cruise (and thank Heavens we did because the weather before cruise was wonderful and after cruise when we returned to PEK to fly home the weather was awful (1st week of Nov). Anyway they advised that you have the multi entry visa so that if you had to reenter the country you could do so (example ship had to return because of mechanical problems.)

We are returning to Shanghai in 2017 as part of a two city pre cruise for Oceania Singapore to Abu Dhabi cruise in April. Did not think that the shore excursion tour in these two cities (Shanghai and Singapore) were enough -- want to see more. Probably will have to get another visa. Make sure passport has 2 page spread. Visa is big. Follow the rules exactly -- mighty stampers and rule followers they are. AND patient! Many people in small waiting room.

According to my discussions with Celebrity, they are not the ones who controls access to their ships (if you can believe that!), its the port authority. In our case it would be the Tokyo port authority. That being said, I totally agree with you, if the worse thing that could happen without a visa (assuming we need one) is that they don't let us off the Millennium when docked in Shanghai, I could live with that "risk". I actually told them to lock us up in security when we are in port in Shanghai, we've been to Shanghai so its not a big miss. Just ticked off that everyone would need to pay $200 +/- for a bloody visa for a 16 hour dock in Shanghai....especially if we don't need one! Plan to walk over to the Chinese Visa centre here in Ottawa and get "official" verdict. Stay tuned.

BE VERY CAREFUL TO HAVE ALL VISAS AND TRAVEL DOCUMENTS NEEDED. I HAVE SEEN WITH MY OWN EYES THAT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE PAPERS NEEDED THEY DO NOT LET YOU BOARD THE SHIP! AND YES THEY DO CHECK. THE CRUISE LINE HAS NO CHOICE -- THE RULES ARE THE RULES OR THE WHOLE SHIP CAN NOT DOCK! I put this in caps because some people think it is a choice but that is not the case. If visa is required, all from the captain to the porter to the passenger in the inside cabin must have it. Also the rules for not taking food off the ship or for bringing food into the country is very strictly enforced! Even a roll and a piece of cheese. My personal count of seeing that enforced is up to 8 people who were really not happy to be singled out -- dogs and guns and a rough looking soldier who was not smiling in one country. :eek: Visas and paperwork are just part of the expense of traveling.

There is some hope that new regulations will keep you from needing a visa but make sure -- the new visa is mainly aimed at airports and not ship ports. China officialdom is very much by the rule. Whatever China tells you get it in writing and then approved by the cruise line. I would hate for you to travel so far to be turned away. Also just a warning that at least in Washington DC we had to have an "invitation " to visit so know what to put there (ask cruise line -- usually the port agent) and find out if must have an appointment -- they don't do drop-ins -- won't let you in the building and make you wait until appointment time even if no one else is there. It will not be done in one appointment if it is like it was 2 years ago. You submit your paperwork (at first appointment) and then they tell you the day that you can retrieve your passport with the visa in it. (2nd appointment).

Edited by Bowie MeMe

BE VERY CAREFUL TO HAVE ALL VISAS AND TRAVEL DOCUMENTS NEEDED. I HAVE SEEN WITH MY OWN EYES THAT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE PAPERS NEEDED THEY DO NOT LET YOU BOARD THE SHIP! AND YES THEY DO CHECK. THE CRUISE LINE HAS NO CHOICE -- THE RULES ARE THE RULES OR THE WHOLE SHIP CAN NOT DOCK! I put this in caps because some people think it is a choice but that is not the case. If visa is required, all from the captain to the porter to the passenger in the inside cabin must have it. Also the rules for not taking food off the ship or for bringing food into the country is very strictly enforced! Even a roll and a piece of cheese. My personal count of seeing that enforced is up to 8 people who were really not happy to be singled out -- dogs and guns and a rough looking soldier who was not smiling in one country. :eek: Visas and paperwork are just part of the expense of traveling.

There is some hope that new regulations will keep you from needing a visa but make sure -- the new visa is mainly aimed at airports and not ship ports. China officialdom is very much by the rule. Whatever China tells you get it in writing and then approved by the cruise line. I would hate for you to travel so far to be turned away. Also just a warning that at least in Washington DC we had to have an "invitation " to visit so know what to put there (ask cruise line -- usually the port agent) and find out if must have an appointment -- they don't do drop-ins -- won't let you in the building and make you wait until appointment time even if no one else is there. It will not be done in one appointment if it is like it was 2 years ago. You submit your paperwork (at first appointment) and then they tell you the day that you can retrieve your passport with the visa in it. (2nd appointment).

Your information is outdated. Regulations evolves so please keep up to date if you intend to give advice. You actually posted in the thread that deals with the visa exemption in China, but it seems you did not read it. Note also that it is not a visa but a visa exemption.

Regarding your previous posts, As an American passport holder (which you seem to be), you get 10-year multiple-entry visa automatically so no need to keep going back to get as often as you wish.

Edited by TravelMore&More

As an American passport holder (which you seem to be), you get 10-year multiple-entry visa automatically so no need to keep going back to get as often as you wish.

That is not true either. You get what the consulate feels like issuing, even assuming you're talking about an L Tourist visa. 10 years is the maximum that can be issued. It is by no means the only length of time that can be issued, and there is NO guarantee you will get it even when you ask. Goes for business visa as well (after multiple shorter term M - business- visas, I was not given a 10 yr M visa during my last application. Friends who've applied recently for 10 year L visas also have been given a 1 yr multiple entry instead.

Your information is outdated. Regulations evolves so please keep up to date if you intend to give advice. You actually posted in the thread that deals with the visa exemption in China, but it seems you did not read it. Note also that it is not a visa but a visa exemption.

Regarding your previous posts, As an American passport holder (which you seem to be), you get 10-year multiple-entry visa automatically so no need to keep going back to get as often as you wish.

Well don't get too superior on your reaction to my post. I said my experience with China was before the regulation changed. But I also know that the paperwork from the cruise line HAS NOT changed policy and you will never know what happens in China if you are denied boarding. In addition I just went to my personal passport and checked the visa that I was granted in person at the Washington DC consulate and it has expired because it was a one year visa. Indeed things do change and so all advice from folks here on CC should be verified. Please don't be harsh when information is given in a spirit of sharing and trying to help. People get tired of other folks putting them down. Bye.

• 3 weeks later...

Spoke with the Chinese Embassy here in Ottawa yesterday. The "hiccup" is the problem. We board Millennium in Japan (Tokyo) then dock in Shanghai. We leave Shanghai and head back to Japan (Okinawa) so we are NOT in transit thru Shanghai to a third country. This 144 hour transit visa exemption may be reviewed again, but their advice is to get a visa, otherwise you may be denied boarding in Tokyo. For Canadians, the cost of a visa is $145cdn and its good for multiple entries into China and its valid for 6 months less than what the expiry date of your passport is. So, a good way to do it is to renew your Canadian passport for 10 years, then apply for China visa and it will be good for 9 years.

Celebrity Millennium October 16: Tokyo-Shimzu-Kobe-Nagasaki-Shanghai-Okinawa-Taiwan-Hong Kong. I think if we went to Taiwan after Shanghai, the transit Visa would have worked. But, we head to Okinawa, that's the clincher. Oh well, $145 for a 16 hour pit stop in Shanghai. No use complaining, just enjoy our cruise.

• 2 months later...

We wanted to pass along some information on what we’ve found for the passengers who are on the “Millennium” cruise which departs Yokohama on October 16, 2016. After calling Celebrity last week, we contacted their CIBT Visa Central agency as they suggested. On that phone call, we were told that we didn’t need the Chinese visa. We then asked them to confirm that via email which they did (see email text below). We then checked back with Celebrity via their email submittal page and they responded today that we do not need it.

So, we are very happy that we appear to be OK without a Chinese visa (at least so far) and also that Celebrity provided such good customer service on this issue.

We hope this information helps with your planning. Please note that your situation may vary so please feel free to contact Celebrity, CIBT Visa Central, the Chinese Embassy and/or any other source to confirm what we have been told.

Here’s the text from the emails with Celebrity:

Subject: RE: Celebrity Millennium / 16-Oct-2016

Tim,

Thank you very much for getting back to us. We appreciate the information and are very pleased to hear that the Chinese visa will not likely be needed for our one-day port stop in Shanghai. We will continue to monitor this situation as our departure approaches to see if anything changes.

Note: I called the 800-579-2406 number for the Chinese Embassy which you provided. It's actually Celebrity's Visa Central number which is the agency which originally told us that this visa would not be necessary on this itinerary.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 1:07 PM

Subject: Celebrity Millennium / 16-Oct-2016 / Wooten

I deeply regret the difficulties you have encountered acquiring the necessary information regarding visas for China. With regard to the itinerary for your cruise on the Celebrity Millennium sailing on October 16, 2016, the resources we have currently state that the port of Shanghai does not require a visa for in-transit cruise guests who want to go ashore on tours or individually. Please keep in mind that, as documentation requirements are continually changing, this may not be the case 4 months from now.

Although we can advise U.S and Canadian citizens of visa requirements, it is always best to contact the embassy directly for confirmation. The phone number for the China Embassy is 800-579-2406. We kindly ask that you contact them should you have further inquiries or wish to apply for a visa.

Sincerely,

Tim Bickerstaff

Celebrity Cruises

Here’s the email trail from Visa Central:

From: VisaCentral [mailto:customerservice@visacentral.com]

Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 3:11 PM

Subject: RE: China Visa Not Needed for Celebrity "Millennium" Sailing on October 16, 2016

Thank you for your inquiry and for contacting online Customer Service.

The following information is available on our website for all travelers to China.

Transit Regulations

Visa exempt for a stay of up to 24 hours. The traveler must:

o Hold a passport valid for period of intended stay with one blank visa page

o Not transit Yanji (YNJ)

o Hold proof of sufficient funds

o Hold proof of onward/return flights

o Hold all documents required for the next destination

o Hold visa for next country where applicable

o Confirm with their airline that boarding will be permitted without a visa

Please note individuals attempting to transit through Tianjin (TSN), Weihai (WEH), Wuhan (WUH), Xi An (XIY), or Zhengzhou (CGO) must check with their airline that transiting is permitted.

Extended Stay Transit Requirements

Travelers to China may be permitted to transit without a visa through the cities of Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Guangzhou, Guilin, Hangzhou, Harbin, Kunming, Nanjing, Shanghai, Shenyang, Tianjing, Wuhan, Xian and Xiamen only. Please note that severe restrictions apply and travelers on this program must register with the police within 24 hours of arrival. If interested in pursuing this option it is recommended that you review your potential eligibility with the embassy and confirm that boarding without a visa is permitted by your airline.

The Embassy of China advises that travelers who violate any of the Transit Without Visa regulations will be banned from entering China in the future.

We recommend you also confirm with the Cruise Line.

We appreciate your business and look forward to assisting you with all your travel needs.

Thank you for choosing CIBT.

Regina M. Allen

Customer Service Specialist

Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 2:51 PM

To: VisaCentral

Subject: China Visa Not Needed for Celebrity "Millennium" Sailing on October 16, 2016

Hello, we had a question about the need for a US citizen to get a Chinese visa in Shanghai. We are booked on Celebrity’s “Millennium” on a cruise from Yokohama, Japan starting on October 16, 2016 with a one-day port stop in Shanghai. This is the only port in China that this ship will visit. After checking online, it appeared that we would not need a Chinese visa to visit that one port for such a short time.

I then checked with Celebrity’s Captain’s Club and they recommended that we call you at (800) 579-2406 (Account Code 44989). I just spoke to one of your representatives and she told us we would not need a visa and would be able to board the “Millennium” in Yokohama without having one.

Since we want to be absolutely sure that this will not be a problem, we’d ask that you confirm this for us via email. As long as we can board the ship in Yokohama without the visa, we are OK not getting off in Shanghai if a visa is somehow needed to disembark. Please confirm what we were told on the phone so that we can be sure that we are fine to get on our ship without this visa.

Thank you so much for your assistance on our phone inquiry and in advance for your reply and confirmation!

We wanted to pass along some information on what we’ve found for the passengers who are on the “Millennium” cruise which departs Yokohama on October 16, 2016. After calling Celebrity last week, we contacted their CIBT Visa Central agency as they suggested. On that phone call, we were told that we didn’t need the Chinese visa. We then asked them to confirm that via email which they did (see email text below). We then checked back with Celebrity via their email submittal page and they responded today that we do not need it.

So, we are very happy that we appear to be OK without a Chinese visa (at least so far) and also that Celebrity provided such good customer service on this issue.

We hope this information helps with your planning. Please note that your situation may vary so please feel free to contact Celebrity, CIBT Visa Central, the Chinese Embassy and/or any other source to confirm what we have been told.

Here’s the text from the emails with Celebrity:

Subject: RE: Celebrity Millennium / 16-Oct-2016

Tim,

Thank you very much for getting back to us. We appreciate the information and are very pleased to hear that the Chinese visa will not likely be needed for our one-day port stop in Shanghai. We will continue to monitor this situation as our departure approaches to see if anything changes.

Note: I called the 800-579-2406 number for the Chinese Embassy which you provided. It's actually Celebrity's Visa Central number which is the agency which originally told us that this visa would not be necessary on this itinerary.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 1:07 PM

Subject: Celebrity Millennium / 16-Oct-2016 / Wooten

I deeply regret the difficulties you have encountered acquiring the necessary information regarding visas for China. With regard to the itinerary for your cruise on the Celebrity Millennium sailing on October 16, 2016, the resources we have currently state that the port of Shanghai does not require a visa for in-transit cruise guests who want to go ashore on tours or individually. Please keep in mind that, as documentation requirements are continually changing, this may not be the case 4 months from now.

Although we can advise U.S and Canadian citizens of visa requirements, it is always best to contact the embassy directly for confirmation. The phone number for the China Embassy is 800-579-2406. We kindly ask that you contact them should you have further inquiries or wish to apply for a visa.

Sincerely,

Tim Bickerstaff

Celebrity Cruises

Here’s the email trail from Visa Central:

From: VisaCentral [mailto:customerservice@visacentral.com]

Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 3:11 PM

Subject: RE: China Visa Not Needed for Celebrity "Millennium" Sailing on October 16, 2016

Thank you for your inquiry and for contacting online Customer Service.

The following information is available on our website for all travelers to China.

Transit Regulations

Visa exempt for a stay of up to 24 hours. The traveler must:

o Hold a passport valid for period of intended stay with one blank visa page

o Not transit Yanji (YNJ)

o Hold proof of sufficient funds

o Hold proof of onward/return flights

o Hold all documents required for the next destination

o Hold visa for next country where applicable

o Confirm with their airline that boarding will be permitted without a visa

Please note individuals attempting to transit through Tianjin (TSN), Weihai (WEH), Wuhan (WUH), Xi An (XIY), or Zhengzhou (CGO) must check with their airline that transiting is permitted.

Extended Stay Transit Requirements

Travelers to China may be permitted to transit without a visa through the cities of Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Guangzhou, Guilin, Hangzhou, Harbin, Kunming, Nanjing, Shanghai, Shenyang, Tianjing, Wuhan, Xian and Xiamen only. Please note that severe restrictions apply and travelers on this program must register with the police within 24 hours of arrival. If interested in pursuing this option it is recommended that you review your potential eligibility with the embassy and confirm that boarding without a visa is permitted by your airline.

The Embassy of China advises that travelers who violate any of the Transit Without Visa regulations will be banned from entering China in the future.

We recommend you also confirm with the Cruise Line.

We appreciate your business and look forward to assisting you with all your travel needs.

Thank you for choosing CIBT.

Regina M. Allen

Customer Service Specialist

Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 2:51 PM

To: VisaCentral

Subject: China Visa Not Needed for Celebrity "Millennium" Sailing on October 16, 2016

Hello, we had a question about the need for a US citizen to get a Chinese visa in Shanghai. We are booked on Celebrity’s “Millennium” on a cruise from Yokohama, Japan starting on October 16, 2016 with a one-day port stop in Shanghai. This is the only port in China that this ship will visit. After checking online, it appeared that we would not need a Chinese visa to visit that one port for such a short time.

I then checked with Celebrity’s Captain’s Club and they recommended that we call you at (800) 579-2406 (Account Code 44989). I just spoke to one of your representatives and she told us we would not need a visa and would be able to board the “Millennium” in Yokohama without having one.

Since we want to be absolutely sure that this will not be a problem, we’d ask that you confirm this for us via email. As long as we can board the ship in Yokohama without the visa, we are OK not getting off in Shanghai if a visa is somehow needed to disembark. Please confirm what we were told on the phone so that we can be sure that we are fine to get on our ship without this visa.

Thank you so much for your assistance on our phone inquiry and in advance for your reply and confirmation!

We went through this last year on our Japan and China cruise out of Yokohama 25 October. We only had one port requiring a visa. We were told that current policy was that if we didn't leave the ship, we didn't need a visa. However, we were told that the policy could change. We decided to pay the $500 for our visas, not gambling on the risk of not being able to board the ship.

As it turned out we did not need the visa.

I wish X would just have not scheduled a stop in Shanghai at all, so we didn't have to go through all that.

We just returned from our cruise on RCCL Ovation of the seas June 2016. RCCL required Americans to have China visas as we were stopping in Hong Kong for 2 days, with a port stop at Xiamen, and then finally disembarked in Tianjin for Beijing. As helpfully stated by Bowie MeMe, you Must make sure of your requirement or you wont be allowed on the ship. When we were checking in in Singapore, there was panic on the rep's faces when they thought I said that I did not have a Chinese visa. After they realized I had one, they said if we did not have a China visa we would have to get off the ship before entering China. A $200 visa is not worth ruining your vacation over what someone misstated.

Also when we applied for our Chinese Visa's in April 2016 we used a service, and applied for a 10 year visa which was granted. However, others have only been granted 6 months, or something minimal. As others have posted the Chinese determine how long.