Live/Cloud: South Africa-Botswana+, Many Pix’s, Terry/Ohio

TLCOhio

It's a badge they give you ;)Thanks for the lead on extreme. I hadn't found them under Richards Bay. They were under St Lucia. Looks like they are all good and can cover exactly what we want.

Great to know that our Australia friend is making good progress for doing the needed South Africa planning. Keep us posted for any added developments, info needs, etc. Happy to share more.

Regarding Botswana, they have just had some unique and different "news" and attention. This African nation the size of France with only two million people, has become the world's largest producer of diamonds in value. Until this trip and the research/planning, I did not know that Botswana was such a large producer of high-quality diamonds.

From the London/UK Daily Mail two days ago, they have this headline: "Buyer offers world record £45million for 1,109-carat rough diamond, but the owner STILL won't sell" with these sub-headline details: "Biggest found for more than 100 years, roughly the size of a tennis ball, discovered in Botswana, largest rough diamond mined since 1905, failed to achieve £53million estimated price."

Here are more highlights from this story: "The three billion-year-old jewel was uncovered by Lucara Diamond Corp at its Karowe mine in Botswana in November last year and was described as a 'once in a lifetime discovery'. The diamond was auctioned at Sotheby's in London following a worldwide tour. But the gem failed to achieve the £52million estimate. It is a 'rough' diamond which means it will be cut and polished into a more refined gem. It is exceeded only by the 3016.75-carat Cullinan Diamond, which was mined in South Africa in 1905. The Cullinan was cut into nine diamonds which are now held in the Crown Jewels. Independent reports say the Lesedi la Rona has the potential to yield the largest top-quality diamond that has ever been cut and polished"

For caring, rich husbands (or ladies), this stone is still available. Just think of the airline frequent flyer miles you could get by putting this "rock" on your credit card! Anyone interested?

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3667696/Buyer-offers-world-record-45million-1-109-carat-rough-diamond-biggest-100-years-owner-won-t-sell.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 61,066 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

We can highly recommend Botswana for high end safaris.We did a lot of research and found Botswana to be one of Africa's success stories with a lot of credit going to it's first president-

http://www.thuto.org/ubh/bw/skhama.htm

A lesson for many more developed countries.

And more info here-

http://www.knowbotswana.com/

We have been to Botswana several times on safari and are going back in September. Happy to answer any questions.We have stayed at Mombo camp and Savuti by Wilderness Safari and two from &beyond (Nxabega & Sandibe) and will be at Machaba and Chobe Savanna

All wonderful places with great service and food....

Edited by LouBNYC

Mombo is one of our favorite camps. They rebuilt Big Mombo, not sure if it is finished yet. Our TA had the new bridge into the camp built a few years ago.

We leave in September for a month but will be spending more time in east Africa on a private safari with our TA and her husband. I agree, the people at Wilderness are one of the best. This will be our 10th visit to Africa but we are spending more time in some very private camps which are very top notch and in one camp we reserved the camp just for ourselves just the four of us which is Ol Jogi. Look this camp up. All our flights are private charters not shared charters. This is going to be our trip of a lifetime. I guess our heirs will do with less.

Other camps we are staying at that you may consider:

Faru Faru River Lodge

Hotel Hemingway Nairobi

Sirkoi Camp

Segera Retreat

Ol Jogi

Mara Plains Camp

You can look all these up in case you want to plan a trip to beautiful Africa.

Arriving in Nairobi we will stay at Legendary Lodge, Arusha Town.

Edited by Suite Travels

Mara Plains was wonderful... We were there last year, Kevin S. is a great guide as is Ping but he is doing private guiding now but this he is available by the camp to hire.

We love traveling with our agent. Honestly Mombo was over the top for us, as photographers we used very little of the amenities. I didn't know they rebuilt the main camp... They did the same with Sandibe the year after we were there.

Private is the only way to go....

Edited by LouBNYC

Here some information about the rebuilding of Big Mombo.

http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/blog/posts/kwetsani-camp-may-2015

We will go back to beautiful Mombo next year. It is a long flight to go to Africa but if you do it right and stay in the best camps it trumps luxury cruising. If you do this in conjunction with a cruise for just three days you are not going to be staying the highest rated camps...they are good but not the best. If you want to do this book it through a knowledgeable TA either before your cruise or after and give it more then three days to enjoy it.

Edited by Suite Travels

Here some information about the rebuilding of Big Mombo.

http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/blog/posts/kwetsani-camp-may-2015

We will go back to beautiful Mombo next year. It is a long flight to go to Africa but if you do it right and stay in the best camps it trumps luxury cruising. If you do this in conjunction with a cruise for just three days you are not going to be staying the highest rated camps...they are good but not the best. If you want to do this book it through a knowledgeable TA either before your cruise or after and give it more then three days to enjoy it.

Couldn't agree more!!

Terry, I hope you don't mind some of us adding to your great thread. I loved your journey and your beautiful pictures. I think people have Africa on their bucket list and appreciate all the information we can give them.

Regards,

Miles

Edited by Suite Travels

We can highly recommend Botswana for high end safaris.We did a lot of research and found Botswana to be one of Africa's success stories with a lot of credit going to it's first president-

http://www.thuto.org/ubh/bw/skhama.htm

A lesson for many more developed countries.

Terry, I hope you don't mind some of us adding to your great thread. I loved your journey and your beautiful pictures. I think people have Africa on their bucket list and appreciate all the information we can give them. Regards, Miles

LouBNYC: We have been to Botswana several times on safari and are going back in September. Happy to answer any questions. We have stayed at Mombo camp and Savuti by Wilderness Safari and two from &beyond (Nxabega & Sandibe) and will be at Machaba and Chobe Savanna. All wonderful places with great service and food....

Appreciate these added items of information related to wonderful Botswana. It's a very special part of the world. Don't worry' date=' Miles, it is great to have this interest and sharing. For [b']Dr. Ron[/b], this history is unique connected with Botswana and its first leader as an independent nation. Botswana was never a "colony" in the same way that other parts of Africa had been forced to have such outside control. Their elements of "self-rule" and/or as a "protectorate" have helped them be in a better "place" today than exists for many countries today in Africa.

It is good to know, from checking your earlier posts, that Lou from NYC has a wife with the great name of Terry. Right? There are a nice range of very good options to stay and visit in and around Botswana's famed Okavango Delta region. It is hard to say which one camp is exactly the "best" as conditions can vary depending on your weather, time of year when visiting, game/wildlife flow, staff/guides you have when there, luck, etc. Then, there is budget!!?? Prices are not cheap for Botswana as reaching these camps and have limited facilities keeps the costs higher.

On guides, it can make a huge difference in having the better ones to be with you when searching for wildlife and nature. Clearly, you will not know in advance who will be your guide, but the "better" camps will have the better guides.

Keep up the excellent sharing, nice questions, etc. Happy to provide more from our trip, plus learn more from others who have visited here.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 199,974 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Yep, my wife is a Terry too. Terry in Ohio do we know each other from a mutual trip ?

Appreciate this follow-up question. Not sure if we would know each other from a past cruise. Have only done eight cruises. Below is that listing. Let me know if any of those "connections" would have had us having crossed paths.

1. June 2006, Athens to Istanbul, Seabourn Spirit, Greek Isles, Turkish Coast

2. July-Aug. 2008, Dover to Stockholm, Crystal Symphony, Baltics-Russia.

3. July 2010, Copenhagen RT, Silversea Silver Cloud, Norway Coast to North Cape.

4. June 2011, Barcelona RT, Celebrity Solstice, Italy, Croatian Coast.

5. Jan.-Feb. 2014, Sydney to Auckland, Celebrity Solstice, Australia & NZ

6-7. Jan.-Feb. 2015, Barbados to San Juan, Silversea Silver Cloud, up Amazon River & 10 Caribbean Islands.

8. Feb. 2016, Cape Town RT, Silversea Silver Cloud, South Africa coast, Mozambique.

That's 94 days of cruising!! Been fun and exciting. We have also done many different land tours/trips in Europe, etc., before we starting doing cruising ten years ago. Plus, in doing these cruises, we like to work out good "adventure" options before and/or after the cursing travel segments. Look forward to hearing more!! Keep up sharing those great questions, comments, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 148,835 views for this posting.

Terry

Just a little thank you

We have hooked up with extreme tours to overnight in St Lucia and Hluhluwe while in Richards Bay.

The came to the party with a nice itinerary which suits our needs.

I had a great lead for Walvis Bay but they want the $$$$$ upfront and being on a cruise i don't pay until I play :)

Terry. Just a little thank you. We have hooked up with extreme tours to overnight in St Lucia and Hluhluwe while in Richards Bay. The came to the party with a nice itinerary which suits our needs. I had a great lead for Walvis Bay but they want the $$$$$ upfront and being on a cruise i don't pay until I play :)

Appreciate the follow-up and update from our friend in wonderful Sydney. Glad you continue to make good progress with your planning. On paying in advance, that seems, based on our experiences, to be more the expected "normal" there. I would have preferred to pay at the time of being there and using the service, but I also wanted to have the best guides/tours lined up and firmly booked. Personal choice!! We paid in advance, on our credit card to protect us, and things worked super well for us. On a cruise ship, there are some risks, but we had travel insurance that probably would have covered some of the loss in the event of serious schedule changes.

From the London/UK Telegraph two days ago, they have this headline: "perfect holiday in South Africa - our expert's ultimate" with these highlights: "Cape Town needs no sales pitch. Established as a kitchen garden in 1652 to restock ships en route to India, it still replenishes, with picturesque coves carved into a mountainous peninsula, slopes carpeted in an astonishing floral biodiversity, and vineyards that produce the New World’s most underrated wines. It is easy to be seduced by the city’s cosmopolitan lifestyle and spend a few days on safari too, but the Western Cape itself is a wonderful area to explore by car. The scenery is constantly changing, the pace of each new discovery entirely in your hands. There are fabulous places to stay, from quirky b & bs to luxury idylls."

This writer offers many potentials for near the Cape, the Garden Route, etc. It is is based on three decades of personal explorations in this area. Lots of specific ideas and options are outlined to consider, especially if you seek to travel outside of Cape Town.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africa/south-africa/articles/ultimate-south-africa-how-to-have-perfect-holiday/

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 40,494 views for these postings.

\ On paying in advance, that seems, based on our experiences, to be more the expected "normal" there. I would have preferred to pay at the time of being there and using the service, but I also wanted to have the best guides/tours lined up and firmly booked. Personal choice!! We paid in advance, on our credit card to protect us, and things worked super well for us. \

It was demanded to be a direct transfer from my bank account and relied on us getting at least 12 other pax on the tour. It was also only a few $ less than the cruise offering.

NO Thanks

I've been to Africa before and know that this was a captive cruise ship scam...

Maybe living in an area with a large population of "Old Capetonians" many of whom i count as close friends helps, but I have/had that part of the trip all nailed. We wont be doing tours... other than maybe the "included" oneson or last cruise day. From here SA is a relatively short jump.

Thanks for the excellent review. I will be in Cape Town next month, which hotel did you stay in?

MrsWaldo: It was demanded to be a direct transfer from my bank account and relied on us getting at least 12 other pax on the tour. It was also only a few $ less than the cruise offering. NO Thanks. I've been to Africa before and know that this was a captive cruise ship scam... Maybe living in an area with a large population of "Old Capetonians" many of whom i count as close friends helps' date=' but I have/had that part of the trip all nailed. We wont be doing tours... other than maybe the "included" oneson or last cruise day. From here SA is a relatively short jump. [/quote']

Appreciate this added background from MrsWaldo. YES, agree that the potential terms for advance payment were too, too much. When we set-up our three private tours in and around Cape Town, plus the three days for "safari's" along the South Africa coast, we were seeking and able to do these as just tours for my wife and me. It would have been nice to have added people sharing some of the costs, etc. BUT, when you get into larger groups, you are less "flexible" in being able to see and do what you like. We were able to be 100% "personal" for our interests, needs, desires, etc. Groups can work out OK, but part of what made our overall Africa adventure so great was having so much of our trip being private, more personal with our guides, having "conversation" to learn more and get our questions answered, etc.

For a Cape Town hotel, we stayed at the Cape Royale Hotel. This location was a handy, easy walk from the V&A Waterfront. It overlooked where the oval stadium sits that hosted the 2010 World Cup soccer games. This hotel is an apartment/suite-style facility with many dining and shopping options nearby. It was built and open in 2010 in connection with the World Cup being in South Africa. It is at 47 Main Rd, Green Point, Cape Town, 8005, South Africa. Their website is: http://www.caperoyale.co.za. As the picture below shows, it has a "French-style", cosmopolitan style/design. We loved the location as we did not want to be too much in the middle of the V&A waterfront. That shopping/entertainment area is nice to visit, but we wanted more of a "feel" for being in Cape Town, experiencing more of the city, living in the community, etc. And, being safe and handy as added factors. The staff and facilities worked very well at the Cape Royale. They have a nice pool/deck area on the top of the hotel that offered nice views, food/drink potentials, etc.

Added questions and info needs?

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 32,479 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Here is one exterior view of the Cape Royale Hotel that was near the V&A Waterfront and overlooked where the oval stadium that hosted the 2010 World Cup soccer games.:

July2016Pis1%201_zpsvi6wv6cq.jpg

Thanks for the excellent review. I will be in Cape Town next month, which hotel did you stay in?

We enjoyed the Taj. Central location. Shuttle to Table Mt and waterfront. Walking tour of historical city center. Good coffee shops nearby. Nice rooms.

We enjoyed the Taj. Central location. Shuttle to Table Mt and waterfront. Walking tour of historical city center. Good coffee shops nearby. Nice rooms.

Appreciate this follow-up comment on the Taj hotel in Cape Town. The Taj gets very good marks from TripAdvisor and other ratings/websites. What's the best hotel for Cape Town? Honest answer: it depends!! The good news is that there some very good hotels to consider in Cape Town. But where and why?

There are several factors. One priority for Cape Town could be location. The Taj and other hotels are in the central, business downtown area where we spent some time seeing and walking around. Nice downtown with many older, interesting buildings there. Lots of shopping, dining potentials there. Others, however, like being in heart of the tourist-oriented V&A Waterfront. Great area, too. Either of these two areas have pro/con factors to consider. Personally, we opted for Cape Royale as we wanted to be near, not in the middle of the crowded V&A. Plus, our location gave us more of Cape Town residential area "feel". There are also options to consider closer to beach areas or in the Winelands, etc. As noted, there are many good options to consider. It depends what you seek and like for enjoying this European-styled city with so much character and charm.

On the Taj hotel, our guide told us about this hotel and walked us through its spectacular lobby, etc. Why? It is at the corner of St George’s Mall, adjacent to the magnificent Company Gardens. The Taj has incorporated the old Reserve Bank building of Cape Town. This spectacular, historic building, and the land under it was where the first settlers to Cape Town established their refreshment station and vegetable garden. It hosted an early hospital and later became the location for the Reserve Bank building completed in 1932. The architect designed the bank building based on Florence's Palazzo Pitti. The Taj incorporated those high ceilings and marble columns as a part of this hotel conversion that is "fit for royalty". Will posted next more pictures on this hotel and our "walk through" experiences.

Also, from this below-linked TV news station source, they have this headline: "CAPE TOWN BAGS ANOTHER TOP TRAVEL AWARD" with this sub-head highlight: "The city’s cultural attractions, winelands tours and fine-dining venues all contributed to the rating."

Here are more details in this summary: "Cape Town has been rated best in the category 'Top Cities in Africa and the Middle East' in the Travel and Leisure 2016 World’s Best Awards. Other recent awards include the 2015/2016 Telegraph Travel Awards’ 'Best City in the World' for the fourth year running and Condé Nast’s highly-acclaimed reader’s choice award in the World’s Best Food Cities list."

Full story at:

http://ewn.co.za/2016/07/07/Cape-Town-bags-another-top-travel-award

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 214,813 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are two more pictures related to the Cape Royale hotel where we stayed. First is their main entrance. Second was the view from our room with its French balcony and the view towards the 2010 World Cup stadium. Very close, right?:

July2016Pis2_zpsykih2gpq.jpg

July2016Pis1_zpsgkicf6dv.jpg

Here is a visual of the Cape Grace hotel right near the middle of the V&A Waterfront. This hotel is popular with many using Silversea and other higher-end cruise ships.:

July2016Pis6_zps7ggh9tsy.jpg

Here are a couple of other V&A Waterfront visuals that I have not posted previously and providing a sampling for this wonderful area's variety, character/style and the many options that are there.:

July2016Pis3_zpsblluolbe.jpg

July2016Pis5_zps8nu8tjsx.jpg

As a follow-up, here is more about the Taj Cape Town Hotel. This 176-room hotel has a variety of accommodations depending for whether it is in the restored historic building or the adjoining 17-floor tower. Some of the newer tower rooms have panoramic views of Table Mountain or the city, including a few with a walk-out balcony. The Taj is right in an area near the national and provincial parliaments, Government Avenue leading through the 350-year-old Company Gardens from St George’s Cathedral, the cosmopolitan crafts of St George’s Mall and Greenmarket Square and a wide range of culture, art, entertainment, museum and dining options.

In Cape Town, having a "room with a view" can added to the fun and excitement for enjoying the "feel" and experience of this world-class city. Those visual potentials are another factor to consider in picking your location for where to stay in Cape Town.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 40,565 views for these postings.

For the Taj Cape Town Hotel, here are a couple of my exterior views of this historic Reserve Bank building that was originally opened in 1932. In the second picture, you can see how they have link the older bank building with the newer portions that tie-in for this current luxury hotel use.:

July2016Pis9_zpspujtaon9.jpg

July2016Pis12_zpsiuj37btx.jpg

Here are two interior views for the lobby of this historic bank that has become a luxury hotel in the heart of Cape Town. Notice the floor and other unique architecture details?:

July2016Pis11_zpsfpxhcxww.jpg

July2016Pis10_zpsocknnfcb.jpg

As added sharing of Cape Town, below are a couple of added pictures that I have not posted previously from this interesting town. First is another angle/view from this downtown. Second is a example for their multi-level shopping mall that is a part of the V&A Waterfront.:

July2016Pis8_zpsbv5annna.jpg

July2016Pis7_zps9fpku6zz.jpg

Terry from Ohio your blog was fantastic with absolutely amazing photos, you should get a job at the South African tourist board. Our TA has offered us either a two cabin upgrade or a 1500 dollar OBC. I think the cabin upgrade should be a better option?, as Silversea,s all inclusive package covers most of the ships costs, does it not? Are any of the ships excursions included? Planning also to stay in Cape Town for three days prior to the 10 day cruise. Also we have options on when to go as the Cloud does this 10 day cruise from Jan to March. Which will be the best Month weather wise? Millions

On another thread on this Silversea board, this above good question came up and I thought I would also share this information here for those doing future planning. For South Africa weather, we were there in late January and early February. Things were fairly dry and worked near perfect for us to fit our interests/needs. Look at the two charts below. The weather is about the same for each of those three months. Good that you will have three days in Cape Town. We had five days in that great area and it was so very nice to have the additional time to see so much there and nearby. Plus, to recover from the long flights and time-zone changes. From the UK, your time-zone changes, however, should be more manageable.

On Silversea's South Africa excursion options, as I noted, bluntly, their cruise ship options being offered were not always the best. Kind of disappointing in many ports as to what they offered . . . or didn't!! I know why but will not get into too much detail here. Silversea and other cruise lines have various providers handling these "details" and the quality/pricing/variety will different. Depends on the country and their local suppliers. We were sure glad we set-up and did mostly private, more personal tours that better fit our interests and gave us more time efficiency to maximize the "adventures" in that amazing country. Much depends on what you seek to do, see and enjoy.

Keep rolling with the great questions and sharing!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 150,242 views for this posting.

Below are two different charts for the yearly periods 2000-2012 on Cape Town's historic monthly temperature and rain levels. It seems, based on these charts and our early 2016 experiences, that the Jan-March time periods have some good advantages to consider, especially as we were escaping the cold of the northern hemisphere. This data is from http://www.us.worldweatheronline.com.:

July2016Pis8%201_zpsqr58uzzy.jpg

July2016Pis7%201_zpscgvwksb2.jpg

• 1 month later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph in mid July, they have this headline: "perfect holiday in South Africa" with these opening highlights: "Cape Town needs no sales pitch. Established as a kitchen garden in 1652 to restock ships en route to India, it still replenishes, with picturesque coves carved into a mountainous peninsula, slopes carpeted in an astonishing floral biodiversity, and vineyards that produce the New World’s most underrated wines."

This writer profiles two weeks in and around Cape Town. Lots of great ideas and options to consider. Their story included details about an excellent experience she had with a guide that we used and super enjoyed for two different days. Here is what she and the London Telegraph wrote about using Clive:

"Explore the peninsula on a tour with Clive de Bruyne (capetowntourguide.co.za; ZAR 3,800/£201 for two). A circular drive takes you south along the east-facing False Bay coast to Cape Point, then back north along the west-facing Atlantic seaboard, finally snaking along the cliffs of world-famous Chapman’s Peak drive. Clive will tailor the itinerary to your interests. Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, a seamless integration of the manicured and the indigenous, is definitely worth including, and a visit to the penguin colony at Boulders is virtually obligatory. Lunch is usually at a seaside table at Harbour House."

YES, this basically was what we did on one of the wonderful day/tours that we had with Clive in going down the peninsula, seeing those gardens, the penguins, etc. Worked so well for us!! Below are three added pictures with Clive that I had not posted previously on this live/blog.

Full Cape Town area Telegraph story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africa/south-africa/articles/ultimate-south-africa-how-to-have-perfect-holiday/

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 202,756 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are three added visuals featuring Clive. First is Clive pointing out attractions to my wife at the location above the Public Gardens where key museums are located and with Table Mountain in the background. Second is Clive stopping to show us a turtle as we traveling down the coast. Third is Clive and our waiter at Harbour House where we enjoyed great seafood treats. Look good??:

TravelSept164_zpsheq3tkw0.jpg

TravelSept165_zpsmmdk9shs.jpg

TravelSept166_zpsopzlb3hc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I apologize if it's been asked, but what kind of camera are you using the pictures are amazing.

Appreciate this good question from a fairly new poster to the Cruise Critic boards who is from Arizona. Have visited that state many times and have several good friends out there in the "Valley of the Sun".

On my camera, I upgraded to a Nikon D7100 with an 18-140mm VR lens before our 2014 Australia-NZ adventure. It is a good camera, but not at the top-pro, highest-cost levels. But, just like with an artist or cook, it is not always the quality of the paint brushes . . . or . . . pots and pans making the difference. It is the skill, attention to detail and interest of the camera user. I had been using a Nikon D3100 camera that is now down to around $300-400 for that type of a camera with a good and versatile 18-55mm lens. And after a “water-incident” at Victoria Falls in February, that D7100 got damaged and I have upgraded to a little new, slightly more advanced Nikon D7200.

Lenses are also important. Mostly I shoot with that Nikon 18-140mm mid-range zoom lens that came with this Nikon D7100 camera. Also, I have a Nikon 55-300mm VR lenses for longer shots and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle that is great for churches and building interiors, etc. Recently, I got a Nikkor 35mm f1.8 for lower light and other such needs/specialities, including food and evening shows. This Nikon cameras also has 1080HD video capability that works well. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing, subject and creative options. These cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those challenges and distractions. Here are a few of my basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That is easier with digital to do, learning/improving as you are taking pictures. When done and sharing, only show people the "good ones!" and do not bother or bore them with the average, duplicate and/or poor ones. The more you shoot, that improves your "odds" to get more better pictures, varied framings, magic moments, etc.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different, more interesting angles.

3. Involve people and light. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible. Do NOT be boring!! Get something better than just the normal "post-card" picture that everyone has previously seen or can see easily on the Internet.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to give more "stability" and lessen the blurs in lower-light situations. Night pictures can have a real drama.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the cropping, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing. I have done that on my MacBook Pro computer using their iPhoto and now Aperture software tools. Fairly quick and easy!! That thoughtful editing really can make a major difference to increase quality and interest.

Does this help? Added questions and info needs?

THANKS for the very nice comments on the pictures! Most of the credit goes to Africa and its beauty. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 63,006 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From the London/UK Express earlier this past week, they have this headline: "CHEAPEST long-haul destinations for your next holiday" with these highlights: "Using prices of typical tourist purchases such as meals, drinks, snacks and sunscreen, a shopping basket of the 34 leading destinations have been compiled together. Coming in at the top as the world’s cheapest long-haul destination is South Africa’s mother city, Cape Town."

Lots of nice pictures as to why South Africa is no nice, but details on other popular location that might be more affordable for many Brits.

From the large newspaper publisher, Fairfax Media, in Australia and New Zealand, they have this story headline: "South Africa: The amazing destination no one cares about". Here are some of the story highlights: "There's this amazing destination, and it's far closer than London or New York. It's somewhere you will find a mix of cultures; a mix of landscapes. It's a destination that feels completely foreign, and yet strangely recognisable. And it's so cheap. You can swan about in fancy hotels there, or you can camp out under the stars. You can eat at some of the world's best restaurants, or you can cook your own food over a fire. You can surf, or hike, or drive, or cycle, or jump off high things, or just hang out at a bar. It's great. This amazing place is southern Africa. Though you, like most, are probably not interested in going there, or maybe even hearing about it. I had to trick you with the headline of this story just to make you read it. What gives? We just aren't big on travelling to countries like South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Mozambique. Stories on those destinations don't get half as many reads as places like New York or Bali. And those destinations never go anywhere near the top 10 destinations that we like to visit. It seems crazy to me. These are legitimately some of the best destinations on the planet, and we don't visit. They're affordable and accessible. There's no language barrier."

This author goes on to note: "The only explanation I can come up with for travellers' lack of a care factor over southern Africa is that it has an image problem here." Clearly many in certain part of Europe know that great potentials in southern Africa, but the author views that many in his "down under" area do not fully appreciate South Africa and other nearby options that worked well for us and many others.

Full stories at:

http://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/712848/REVEALED-The-CHEAPEST-long-haul-destinations-for-your-next-holiday

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/africa/84556890/south-africa-the-amazing-destination-no-one-cares-about

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 156,452 views for this posting.