Live/Cloud: South Africa-Botswana+, Many Pix’s, Terry/Ohio

TLCOhio

Here is phase two from being along the Zambezi River. This includes from last night, three of the best sunset views that I captured from our river cruise on the "African Queen" boat.

We were getting ready to visit on Sunday morning the famed Victoria Falls. It was only Dr. Livingstone who was the first from Europe to see this natural phenomena known as "Rolling Thunder".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 208,847 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is another example of bird action view along the Zambezi River.:

Africa2016PixsA7%201_zpsweczphpe.jpg

Sunsets on the Zambezi River? Lots of fun visual options!! I could not decide which one of my many sunset pictures was the best. Here are just three of the better, more interesting results. Which one do you like best? Looking forward to lots of great Botswana Delta sunset that are so spectacular. There was a little afternoon thundershowers and that helped produce cloud to add to the photo drama at sunset time.:

Africa2016PixsA9%201_zpsj0wpt6fm.jpg

Africa2016PixsA8%201_zpscj9xk22g.jpg

Africa2016PixsA10%201_zpson5ewy1b.jpg

During our Sunday morning walk to Victoria Falls, here is a cute yellow bird we saw on the grounds of our resort. Anyone know the official name?:

Africa2016PixsA11%201_zpswbunmbxh.jpg

Below are details on being at Victoria Falls and dealing with the wet challenges on this site ranked as one of the seven natural wonders of the world. Yes, it is spectacular and these photos do NOT do it "justice" for its greatness.

You walk through a rainforest area to get to the best vantage point and cross a large bridge over a deep ravine area. It's nothing like we have ever seen/experienced in the world. A real "Natural Wonder"!!

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 35,875 views for these postings.

As we walked "next door" from our Avani Resort, the attraction could not be more famous and/or better. It's Victoria Falls!! BUT, here is only a small, initial and fairly dry sample.:

Africa2016PixsA17%201_zpscevjs62i.jpg

Now here is a little closer view for only one edge of these falls. At about 6/10'a of a mile in complete width, these falls cannot be "captured" in totality from just one land location. These falls are really WIDE and very DEEP!! Second is the nearby, down-river bridge completed in 1905 that carries both rail and car/truck traffic.:

Africa2016PixsA16%201_zpshnijvbls.jpg

Africa2016PixsA12%201_zps5gtluywe.jpg

Was it wet? What were the photo challenges? Huge!! We thought there might be a few "mists", but we were totaly unprepared as to how WET things would get. Really misty, rain-soaked, etc.!! Like the rainbows? The helicopters flying over were rather noisy and a bother for those of us seeking to enjoy nature. My camera stopped part way through the process and still has not recovered. I have a back-up Nikon camera with me and might need to use it if my main camera does not drying out and re-bound.:

Africa2016PixsA13%201_zpske8yoggj.jpg

Africa2016PixsA14%201_zpssq8ag3l6.jpg

Africa2016PixsA15%201_zps7ryaifio.jpg

From AccuWeather earlier this morning, here is what they were saying for Central Ohio weather on Valentine's Day, Feb. 14, 2016. Not looking too pretty!!

Overall, the weather back home in Ohio has not been too back this season compared to the two previous winters that were among the "Worst of the Worst".

Our upcoming weather in Botswana is expected to be hot, HOT. Around lower to mid 90'sF. Chance of some afternoon thundershowers that maybe will cool things down a little.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 57,508 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From the morning of Feb. 14 in Columbus, Ohio, here is the "verdict" from AccuWeather.:

Africa2016PixsA18_zpsu6fbq0gb.jpg

Wow. You seem to keep amazing all of us following your excellent blog. The pictures are just perfect, you are taking us on this fantastic journey with you by the detail and pictures you provide. Very welcome on a snowy freezing cold day here in north east Scotland. Continue to enjoy your holiday, thanks again Jean.

Just in case there were any worries about either the food on the Silver Cloud and/or if we got enough to eat and drink, below are some varied items of evidence to provide as "picture proof".

Look good? Having fun? We are missing the food and service from the ship already. Returning to "reality" is always hard??!!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 30,760 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Last Supper? For three of us at our table, it was Kansas Prime Rib. Really good, so tasty, very tender, etc.!! Second is the wine choice to match up with this beef. Wine from Argentina and beef from the state where my wife's brother lives!! Great combination!!:

Africa2016PixsA8_zpszd05wbk2.jpg

Africa2016PixsA7_zpsqvfsrbxy.jpg

Dessert? First is my rum treat!! So super good. Second, also enjoyed at our table was this chocolate treat with these unique design touches.:

Africa2016PixsA5_zpsvtb2ooxn.jpg

Africa2016PixsA6_zpsiepw5hnn.jpg

Making our "Last Supper" on the Silver Cloud very enjoyable were Jerry and Danielle. He's originally from New York, she's from France. They now split their time between London and Paris. Both great cities!! Very interesting folks and discussions.:

Africa2016PixsA4_zps37mwqjcg.jpg

Wow. You seem to keep amazing all of us following your excellent blog. The pictures are just perfect, you are taking us on this fantastic journey with you by the detail and pictures you provide. Very welcome on a snowy freezing cold day here in north east Scotland. Continue to enjoy your holiday, thanks again Jean.

Appreciate these kind comments from Jean in Scotland. Sorry to hear that your weather is so challenged there. When we are suffering from the huge heat in Botswana during the coming days, we will be "channeling" some of that cool comfort to us for dealing with the African heat.

Still have lots more visuals to share from our Silver Cloud sailing, plus so many more to be posted from Cape Town, South Africa, etc.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 27,097 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

For the last evening's show on the Silver Cloud, the "Voices of Silversea" put together a wonderful added program based on a collection of Broadway/West End show-tune hits. Wonderful voices and performances!! We really liked these six performers, plus their excellent talent and stage skills. SND, for those from Scotland and his other fans, here is Allan King doing his final performance for us. Allan will be on the Silver Cloud longer than his original three-month schedule. Notice how shy and subtle is Allan's jacket? Yes, Allan's joke are a little old and corny, but they are fun, even hearing them for the second or third time! With Allan's hands in this picture, I think he was telling us about the size of the fish he had caught!!:

Africa2016PixsA9_zps2jdvf2uw.jpg

Africa2016PixsA10_zpsmrmjv43t.jpg

Africa2016PixsA11_zpsszynecqi.jpg

Africa2016PixsA12_zps9afgr33e.jpg

Africa2016PixsA13_zpsnvznr4hn.jpg

Terry,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post an ongoing account of your Africa trip. Your photos and descriptions are a joy to view and read about. The wildlife shots and the landscape shots of the falls are breathtaking. I am keeping my fingers crossed that your camera comes back to life. I look forward to viewing the rest of your trip through your lens. :)

Denise

Stunning wildlife photos Terry and usual great narrative. Silversea should pay you to go on their cruises and posting blogs! Cant believe is gone so quick!

DENNISH: Terry' date=' Thanks for taking the time and effort to post an ongoing account of your Africa trip. Your photos and descriptions are [b']a joy to view and read about[/b]. The wildlife shots and the landscape shots of the falls are breathtaking. I am keeping my fingers crossed that your camera comes back to life. I look forward to viewing the rest of your trip through your lens. Denise

Silver Spectre: Nice photo of your wife with Edward at the Royal Livingstone.

spinnaker2: Terry' date=' I think bird is black headed weaver. Not 100 per cent certain.

[b']Enjoying all the photos[/b].

Appreciate ALL of this follow-ups, added information. I especially love Les' excellent suggestion. Yes, I need Les as my "agent" to work out such an arrangement with Silversea for free sailing.

Arrived mid-day yesterday at the Botswana wildlife reserve of Belmond Savute Elephant Lodge. It is in Chobe National Park in the NW portion of Botswana with its expanse of savannah is dotted by rocky outcrops. Lots of marshes here and we are located along the mostly dry Savute Channel.

One of the fun, exciting sightings yesterday afternoon was a wonderful leopard, plus lots of elephants, many unique birds, etc., etc. Lots of picture proof to follow. Up early at 5 am to get ready for the early game drive with our expert guide, Watch, who is excellent.

Belmond Savute Elephant Lodge has twelve tented residences raised on wooden platforms. There is an outdoor lounge shaded by a traditional thatch roof that overlooks the area where many elephants come for water. The rooms have four-poster bed complete with mosquito netting, a wonderful bathroom/dressing room, plus an outdoor double shower. Also, nice and needed air conditioning!!

Below are just a few visuals for getting here. Many more to come from yesterday afternoon's game drive, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 135,944 views for this posting.

To reach Botswana, we had to cross the famed Zambezi River . . . by boat. A bridge is being built, but it will take five years to be completed fully. Here is my wife being given a "shopping opportunity" by the locals as we are on-board the small boat to cross this river. Their salesmanship was super strong and pushy!!:

Africa2016PixsA1_zps5wqw4cfz.jpg

Then, we needed to fly to our remote camp. Here are three pictures to reflect that fun, interesting "adventure". Baggage was limited in weight and size in going to these camps. I was in the co-pilot seat and got to see "things" up close and personal, including as the pilot was taking off from the small airport.:

Africa2016PixsA2_zps0dbzzuan.jpg

Africa2016PixsA3_zpsqibt0jas.jpg

Africa2016PixsA4_zpscyyqp0tq.jpg

As we traveled from the landing strip to the camp, here were two quick, early wildlife sightings. Many more to come later today!!:

Africa2016PixsA6_zps25bcrug3.jpg

Africa2016PixsA5_zpsllfwpkch.jpg

This is the part I have been waiting for.love Botswana.Lucky to se a leopard close up the first day.But then we did see lions,elephants,buffalo,giraffe etc on our drive from the landing strip to our first lodge.Unfortunately the only leopard sighting was way in the distance.

This is the part I have been waiting for. love Botswana. Lucky to se a leopard close up the first day. But then we did see lions,elephants,buffalo,giraffe etc on our drive from the landing strip to our first lodge. Unfortunately the only leopard sighting was way in the distance.

Appreciate so much from Dr. Ron about his love for Botswana and certain of his experiences there, including with leopards. See more below on our "good luck" during our first afternoon drive. Below are some visual samples.

This morning, we had a great morning drive and we are now getting ready in a half hour to start the late afternoon/evening efforts. Hopefully our wonderful viewing experiences will continue.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 194,139 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is the overall plan/view for our second half of travels that includes Zambia and Botswana. This also gives more specifics on the three Botswana safari camps where we are staying.:

Africa2016PixsA1%201_zpstyzcjesm.jpg

Among the animal examples, fun, etc., were these two elephants doing some combination of playing and light tusk battling. Plus, here are more of the late yesterday animal viewings samples, including young impala males doing such playful fun.:

Africa2016PixsA10_zps0bdd3z2a.jpg

Africa2016PixsA4%201_zps8d8dcba6.jpg

Africa2016PixsA11_zpsaoxqh6ka.jpg

Now, the super find/fun of our first day in Botswana was this young leopard walking and then relaxing in a nearby tree. Great viewing? Will we see this young leopard again? And, its mom?:

Africa2016PixsA6%201_zpsmsckh1zc.jpg

Africa2016PixsA5%201_zpsnqxbke0v.jpg

• Like 1

Here is part two from our first game drive in Botswana. In this segment, I am focusing much on the many birds that we saw and were "captured" via my camera.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 208,942 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is the camp's ace game expert, Watch, who has taken excellent care of our interests and needs, plus had good skills/luck in sharing so much with us during this first day in the camp. He is shown with some of the bones from an elephant that are remaining on these grounds. Big animal. Big bones!!:

Africa2016PixsA9_zpsgzxvxalv.jpg

Now some birds? Lots to see, especially with so many that were very interesting. These travels have given us so many varied examples. The first is the national bird of Botswana. Second are storks that flew here all of the way from Europe. Third is their red-beaked hornbill.:

Africa2016PixsA2%201_zpsqn1fubfm.jpg

Africa2016PixsA3%201_zpsrcntz1fo.jpg

Africa2016PixsA7_zpsdzqqossa.jpg

Africa2016PixsA8_zps0padyswf.jpg

Africa2016PixsA12_zpsenxmsntf.jpg

Terry, glad you have a backup camera - or did your primary camera dry out? Having lost a fancy DSLR a few years ago, when it got drenched in the Darien Jungle, I can sympathize!

Nice bird shots. What are 4 and 5? I'm guessing, but my money is on #4 being a splendid starling and #5 a lilac-breasted roller. Be kind if my memory is faulty, but it was a freezing cold long weekend in Québec. It was approaching 30 below one night, so my neurons are probably still frozen. Some difference from your current conditions!

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Looking forward to hearing about all of it!

Terry,

I think your bird is a collared sunbird...

Looking forward to more photos and travelogue.

I agree that handsome little fellow is a some sort of sunbird. I thought perhaps this is an example of him front-on:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SunBird_capetown.jpg

Terry, great pics. We are very keen to visit Cape Town but were reluctant to cruise on Cloud due to past AC problems etc.

Your thread might just change our minds :)

Edited by badgerdee

Terry - all your animal and bird pictures are wonderful, but the last one, the little colourful chap, looks almost like a painting, so beautiful. You should enlarge it and have it hanging somewhere in your house when you return.

Lola

Terry, glad you have a backup camera - or did your primary camera dry out? Having lost a fancy DSLR a few years ago, when it got drenched in the Darien Jungle, I can sympathize! Nice bird shots. What are 4 and 5? I'm guessing, but my money is on #4 being a splendid starling and #5 a lilac-breasted roller. Be kind if my memory is faulty, but it was a freezing cold long weekend in Québec. It was approaching 30 below one night, so my neurons are probably still frozen. Some difference from your current conditions! Enjoy the rest of your trip. Looking forward to hearing about all of it!

Keith1010: Terry' date=' thanks for posting all of these [b']beautiful photos[/b]. The experience is so wonderful that these photos will allow you both to treasure the experience for years to come. Keith

lincslady: Terry - all your animal and bird pictures are wonderful' date=' but the last one, the little colourful chap, looks almost like a painting, so beautiful. [b']You should enlarge it[/b] and have it hanging somewhere in your house when you return. Lola

Appreciate these kind and helpful follow-ups. Yes, the back-up camera has been busy and now I am worry about having enough battery reserve for that camera. Didn't bring its re-charger along for this part of the trip. My prime camera still has not, yet, bounced back. I will try some nice with the camera to try to suck some of the moisture out. Either way, we'll make things work and try to keep producing good pictures!!

As we were finishing at Savute, how did we do for animals, birds, etc.? Below are some more photo results. Like? More to come!! Plus what will be happening in the next 48 hours at this scenic location for in and around at this part of the Botswana Delta region.

We have just arrived at Belmond's Khwai River Lodge, adjacent to Moremi Game Reserve. This is a little larger property, having 14 cabins. Great setting with lots of animals in view from the deck right now. Just showed a number of my safari visuals to the guides here, plus to the regional General Manager for Belmond in charge of these three properties in Botswana. They know that we are looking for special, starring animals and visuals.

Just saw a hippo out in the river channel, plus a baby hippo traveling with its mom.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 35,978 views for these postings.

Here are a few of varied, added views, sightings from being at Savute in Botswana. Nice variety? The first shows an example for what happened several times in being very, very close to the elephants as they were "taking care of their business". Second are four blue wildebeest. Like these four who look like they are matched horsemen ready for action? Third shows a young giraffe uniquely bending down to drink water. Fourth are two ground hornbills working over some elephant dung for small insets under there. Fifth are carmine bee eaters that followed along with us for a long distance as we were traveling through the park. Finally, here an interesting line of elephants traveling across the plains.:

Africa2016PixsA13_zpsnbyzowb6.jpg

Africa2016PixsA16_zps124bybix.jpg

Africa2016PixsA15_zps5rceoanp.jpg

Africa2016PixsA14_zpsquya13rn.jpg

Africa2016PixsA17_zpsbza3vajn.jpg

Africa2016PixsA20_zpsawvza0xr.jpg

For those actively following along, we now have some serious "prize pictures" to share!! Lions?? Leopards?? Yes, YES and more!! Getting both lions and leopards were wonderful, especially as we were able to spent a decent amount of time while there observing them, their actions, etc. Finding these two lions was not easy and took lots skill/searching by our expert guide, Watch. His parents grew up in the Botswana Delta area and he knows the regions well.

Now, to be fair, we need during the next four days here in Botswana find some female lions, plus maybe, if lucky, a baby lion or two. Wish us good luck!!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 30,767 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Here is a unique male duck bird with a beak that reflects its "masculine" side.:

Africa2016PixsA24_zpsjrrt0lsa.jpg

Here is more on the younger male leopard seen earlier. Mom is now back with some "kill" and was very busy working on the remains of what appears to be a young impala. But, the younger one wanted in on the action, but mom says "NO!!" with a little "discussion" for which one of the two has more power and control. Our guides here said it is very seldom and rare to get this kind of "action" between a mother and son.:

Africa2016PixsA19_zpskmgv77fy.jpg

Africa2016PixsA23_zps5lfkzbeb.jpg

Africa2016PixsA22_zpsdd9mzroj.jpg

Lions? Yes, we finally found not just one of them, but two near our Savute Camp in Chobe National Park. Both are older males and a little on the laid-back side. The one can seen sleeping on its back with its large paws showing. The one closer in the front was awake and giving a classic "lion look". Second is a closer view of that lion with its wonderful eyes looking right at me. We were about 20 feet away from this as they were seeking the shade during this hot day.:

Africa2016PixsA18_zps5b4a34ho.jpg

Africa2016PixsA21_zpsnmwbqyqo.jpg

• Like 1

Greatly enjoying your awesome pix, Terry! Makes me want to return to Africa even though, as you know, I just got back last month off the Europa 2.

Perhaps you should retire from your present administrative functions in Ohio and become a professional photographer, getting paid to do what you do so well and clearly enjoy, following your photography passion. Bravo to your wonderful talent! More! I appreciate your sharing, and know it is a lot of work to do this.

Meanwhile, I must plot a return to see more of Africa, especially big cats.

I agree with all the other posters - this is such an interesting and informative thread. We have been threatening a visit to Southern Africa for years and I think Terry's thread is going to prove that final push.

Great photos. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post all these wonderful stories.

Terry Have you been taking any anti malaria medication for this trip? If so, what are you taking and have you experienced any side effects?

spinnaker2: lions and leopards and elephants' date=' o my! [/b'] wonderment at the extreme raw beauty of it all! thanks much for posting these photographs!

Catlover54: Greatly enjoying your awesome pix' date=' Terry! [b']Makes me want to return to Africa even though, as you know, I just got back last month off the Europa 2. Perhaps you should retire from your present administrative functions in Ohio and become a professional photographer, getting paid to do what you do so well and clearly enjoy, following your photography passion. Bravo to your wonderful talent! More! I appreciate your sharing, and know it is a lot of work to do this. Meanwhile, I must plot a return to see more of Africa, especially big cats.

Tothesunset: I agree with all the other posters - this is such an interesting and informative thread. We have been threatening a visit to Southern Africa for years and I think Terry's thread is going to prove that final push. Great photos. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post all these wonderful stories.

Appreciate all of these nice comments' date=' suggestion, feed-back, etc. [b']Cute little item by Candy!![/b] All of you are just encouraging me to keep posting more and more pictures. Yes, I am taking the anti-malaria pills and no problems that we know. All going well in that regard. Not sure right now on the specific name of the pill. Will try to check and post more on that later. Keep the good questions rolling along.

Great idea to become a “professional photographer”, but it is much harder these days making the “economics” work in that field. Have talked with folks from National Geographic at their past programs I have attended, but they have detailed how that field has changed thanks to digital and other factors. Getting paid real money is the hard challenge!! BUT, I would love to have Les and others serve as my “agent” to get me work and goodies in trade for my pictures. Hope these visuals encourage more visits to Africa. It is a spectacular part of the world.

This morning as we woke up for our first morning at Khwai River Lodge, the sunrise was amazing as there were two hippos out in front of our cabin. Plus hearing all of the birds, etc. Great views and experiences!!

Now here are some of the photo results from our first game drive here late yesterday afternoon and during the early evening period when animals and birds are more active following the peak, mid-day heat.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 136,153 views for this posting.

During our first late afternoon game drive with Robert, here are a few of the wonderful sightings to share. First is a side-striped jackal. Second is a Nile Crocodile along the north bank of the Khwai River with blacksmith plovers in the foreground. Third is hammerkop showing its reflections and unique shape in the water.:

Africa2016PixsA25_zps8zbdt5vm.jpg

Africa2016PixsA26_zps9pa4gfqa.jpg

Africa2016PixsA27_zpsxqwncery.jpg

In this visual group, first is a different, close angle on the red-billed hornbill. Second is an elephant with its ears at maximum width. Finally here at Khwai, the termites build their “hotels” especially tall and in an almost skyscraper style. Here are three of them rising up in just one area.:

Africa2016PixsA28_zpsnnl7wwf2.jpg

Africa2016PixsA29_zpsydncuzwu.jpg

Africa2016PixsA30_zps0n47t9ue.jpg