Phones in Europe...?

bjstenman

For those that have cruised or vacationed in Europe before, what have you done for phone service? Since we'll be traveling in Europe for a bit both prior to and after our cruise, the places that we are staying are wanting a phone number at which to reach us during our vacation---and we may need a phone to call and confirm reservations, etc. Do you add international plans to your existing cell plans, or what? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

You can add international service to your plan. Just make sure you have the data info turned off so you don't get hit with big charges for the internet unless you are hooked up to wifi at little cafes. Previously my husband had his work phone so we didn't have to worry but this time I will check out a plan with international for emergencies from home.

Assuming you are from US, different US wireless carriers have different policies. For example, with T mobile USA, you may already have service including unlimited (albeit slow) data and calls as cheap as 20¢/minute. Who is your US carrier if you have one?

Assuming you are from US, different US wireless carriers have different policies. For example, with T mobile USA, you may already have service including unlimited (albeit slow) data and calls as cheap as 20¢/minute. Who is your US carrier if you have one?

We have AT&T. I plan to ask them what they offer, but I guess I was assuming it wouldn't be great so I was looking at alternatives.

If you have an unlocked GSM phone - AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. (not Verizon) take a look at https://www.knowroaming.com/.

I used to use a dual sim phone and sim cards from either Onesimcard or Telestial. But I switched to KnowRoaming about a year ago and it is great. Reasonable cost for both voice and data and you don't need a dual sim phone.

Verizon has a plan now for Global travel allowing you to use your plan's minutes and data from your regular US plan......it is $10 day.....most countries are included. You just call Verizon before you leave and tell them when you want the plan. Pay for only the days you are gone!

My son is in Europe right now called Sprint they have a FREE global plan. No charge for text, unlimited data and $. 20

minute phone calls. So far in 10 days addl charges are only $3

This sounds like a deal. I have Sprint, but didn't realize they had such a good plan.

This sounds like a deal. I have Sprint, but didn't realize they had such a good plan.

Neither did I until I called them about adding an international plan. They told me about this. You must register with them though. This includes around 100 countries more to come. When I went to Canada last summer I had very little charges. Around $5 for 3 of us total for phone calls.