GEM REVIEW - 22nd Jan, 10 nights from NYC

Harvey130284

To start with, myself and my husband rated our cruise as 3 out of 5.

We started our holiday with a flight to New York. We pre-booked a taxi with a child car seat via JFK Taxi Service but was left very unimpressed. When we arrived I had to call them from a payphone to say we had arrived, and try to describe by exact position. 20 minutes later when we got to the SUV the car seat was dumped on the back seat without being strapped in and the driver had no idea how it worked which I found to be totally unprofessional and unsafe. Spending $117 each way was meant to make me feel safer than having my son on my knee but I was worried the entire journey. Unfortunately the return journey was the same. Car seat on the back, not fitted!

We then spent 3 nights in New York Hilton Midtown before boarding Gem with our 15 month old son. Myself and my husband have cruised 4 times before but this was our son's first holiday abroad.

EMBARKATION - Seems a bit daft to let people check in at 09:30am when you cant board until noon. We chose 10:30am check in as we had to be out of our hotel room, and didn't realise we wouldn't be able to board for a few hours so had to entertain our little boy in the terminal with minimal food and drink options. Getting through security was easy enough though, and boarding also straightforward.

Once onboard we headed straight to the Garden Café and so did everyone else. We managed to get seats and a high chair but trays for the high chair are a bit like an urban myth!!

There are no trays at all in the Garden Café which makes if difficult to carry your food and drinks together. Numerous trips from the food to the table and you chance your food being cold by the time you get to eat it!

I have to say there's plenty of food but a lot of it seems to be repeated every day! I was sick of seeing burgers, hot dogs and pizza at lunch time! BBQ's were a very nice change!

I got tired very quickly of people pushing in front of me to get to things whilst I waited patiently. People seem to lack manners in the dining rooms; forgetting to say please and thank you to the staff!! Its not difficult to do!!

STATEROOM

The staterooms (10648 port side) were ready pretty quickly and after a quick visit we were missing the kettle we requested to make our son's milk feeds each morning and night with sterilised water, and also a crib/travel cot for him to sleep in! A trip to guest services and we found we wouldn't be getting a kettle as they don't have any and therefore we had to request a flask of boiling water each morning and evening instead which was a bit of a hassle as it didn't always turn up on time. The crib was great though and our son slept well despite jetlag! Despite this being advertised as a family cabin, having a travel cot meant a lot less space to move around as the bedside table and couch/sofa had to remain in the room!

The bathroom was ok but could be better- no light in the shower area so quite dark, but the area itself was spacious. Sink area was fine for us with plenty of shelving. Toilet space was fine for me as I'm quite petite but my husband is 6ft, and didn't have much leg room!! Bit weird that the door to the toilet is transparent- whats the point???

Mini bar in room was good for storing son's yoghurts and snacks. Although the mini bar in my brother's cabin was locked for the entire cruise.

Plenty of room under beds for luggage but had to lift beds up to get it all under.

Cabin steward was fantastic- getting ready for dinner one evening and our son was violently ill all over our bed and numerous towels. We stripped it all and had a word with cabin steward and returned to our cabin later and you'd never have known!

First 2 days we had awful weather due to sailing through the east coast storm. I suffered very badly and with being pregnant wasn't able to take any medication to help so was laid up in bed for 2 days. I missed the meet and greet which I was very disappointed about! We were travelling with my brother and sister in law so thankfully my husband had someone to meet each day and help out with the baby.

KIDS ZONE

We used Guppies most days; this is the kids club for under 3's. It is located behind the kids pool. Its a small soft play area with plenty of toys but there are no staff there unless there is an activity going on. I found each day Guppies had 1 or 2 activities on for under 3's but they were at noon which is lunch time, and 5pm which is dinner time. The timings of these weren't great and therefore they weren't well attended!

Our son loved the kids pool despite it being very small. There were times the pool was crowded with older children unsupervised by their parents so we avoided it during those times.

I cant understand why there were no baby change facilities in public restrooms on the ships??? Each time my son needed a nappy change I had to take him back to our cabin. I wasnt going to change him in full view of passengers, or whilst he was lay on the sinks in the restrooms! Not very family friendly!

POOL DECKS

We found it difficult to sit around the pool; between people saving sunloungers with towels and never to be seen again, or it being too close to the stage with the music which was quite loud, or on deck 13 with no shade for our little boy, most days we took it in turns to sunbathe when the sun came out! We also found the sunloungers to be packed together so closely. On 2 occasions I had to get up and move so the maintenance guys could get pipes across me! I totally understand that they need to get jobs done but passengers should not have to move all their possessions out of the way!

We've sailed on RCI and preferred the amount of bar staff around the decks to serve drinks to save going to the bar.

As we were leaving Puerto Rico the slide opened for tests, and there seemed to be half the entire crew there willing to try it out. Im pleased to report that it remained open!

PASSENGERS

We noticed early evenings when most people were going for dinner there seemed to be gangs of people clearly drunk and using the hot tub in their underwear. This wasn't the kind of experience we expected on a cruise which cost us £3,500 ($5,000) including flights. I know there's no formal nights but I expected it to be a bit classier than this!!!

Also got a bit sick of standing waiting for the elevator with the stroller, only for people to walk right in front of us and get in. Lost count of how many times we had to ask people to move!!!

I've read many reviews from the same cruise and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who experienced large families with rude children;' again no manners, running up and down corridors past staterooms, leaving popcorn on the floor when they dropped it in O'Sheeans, pushing to the front of lines. Also older children trying to order 4 drinks on 1 key card and being turned down, only to then lean over the bar and steal it! The bar tender spotted the missing drink and refused to give the key card back unless his parents came for it! A passenger we spoke to witnessed a group of older children spitting over the balcony from deck 7 into the champagne bar on deck 6! No sign of security despite her complaining!! Disgusting behaviour!!!

FOOD

Cagneys steak house; slow service getting drinks despite us being one of the only parties in there. I enjoyed my steak (8oz filet mignon) but it was overpowered by the garlic mash potato. My brother ordered rump steak and was left disappointed by the amount of fat on it. We dined in Magenta once where he and my sister in law ordered the steak and preferred it to the steak house! I had chicken breast and it seemed to be quite a small portion and my husband thought the same about the meat lasagne. Again slow service in here with drinks too but we were seated very quickly for 6pm.

Wasn't fond of any desserts on the ship; cheesecakes tasted as though they were frozen and defrosted.

Dinner time themes were ok I suppose; Mexican / Chinese / grill / Italian / indian. We enjoyed eating on deck 12 aft as it was quieter.

ENTERTAINMENT

Didn't go to the quiz shows or karaoke (value my hearing too much). Did make the effort to see the very talented acrobats though and glad we did!

PORTS

Didn't do any shore excursions through NCL as we've been to the ports before and know what we want to do without being ripped off!

Went shopping in Puerto Rico, Magen's Bay in St Thomas ($8 per person each way), Maho Beach in St Maarten ($8 per person each way), a short walk around Tortola. Disappointing only having 1/2 day in Tortola as it is a beautiful island! We did dolphin encounter last time we visited!

Found the tender very easy to manage in St Thomas- and we had a stroller to contend with too! I got sick of listening to 1 particular passenger moaning to a staff member about having to tender, and how he didn't have to last time he was in St Thomas. There were 6 ships in port that day; its obvious not all of them could dock! I told him to get over it and get on with it. It didn't mean he couldn't get off the ship or do anything else differently!! Why people take these things out on the staff is beyond me.

DISEMBARKATION

If you choose to take your own luggage off, you'll get off first. Alternatively leave your cabin by 08:30am and have to wait a few hours, only to get stuck with thousands of passengers in the terminal anyway!!

Very annoying to be sent over the road to be picked up. We had the stroller, 3 hand luggage bags and 3 cases to carry over the road ourselves!!

Edited by Harvey130284
update

Nice review.

Too bad your brother didn't ask his steward to unlock the mini-bar. Ours was locked as well and the steward immediately took care of the issue.

They had the UBP so didnt really need it.

Got caught out a few times though when they asked for a coke or lemonade and were given a can as you're charged for those!

PASSENGERS

We noticed early evenings when most people were going for dinner there seemed to be gangs of people clearly drunk and using the hot tub in their underwear. This wasn't the kind of experience we expected on a cruise which cost us £3,500 ($5,000) including flights. I know there's no formal nights but I expected it to be a bit classier than this!!!

Just another sign of the out of control obnoxious people that have to get there monies worth from the UBP and ruin others vacation.

Edited by FranknBeans

I'm surprised you didn't go to the main dining room for your embarkment lunch, it would have been a lot less hassle with the toddler and you wouldn't have to have worried about carrying food to the table.

There haven't been trays on NCL for several years, unless you order room service.

Did you check out this review? http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310605

Apparently there was a large group onboard from a private Jewish school in NYC who were behaving very poorly as well. Sorry to hear about the other pax... sounds like you were still able to have a good time though!

Yeah so have read all the reviews so far! I heard many Americans saying they were ashamed of them!

There weren't any available unfortunately!

I learned from my last cruise that there is a waiting line near the big open doors for the porters. First come, first served. I waited with our luggage while my sister waited for a porter.

I didn't use a porter prior to that and wondered why we couldn't find one available until we were walking towards customs. It took a little time between porters, but still worth it.