What a difference!

brichar499

We just got off the Carnival Valor. Last year, we sailed on Carnival Sunshine.

I thought the Sunshine's entertainment was pathetic with a ridiculously small comedy venue that was difficult to get into without a very long wait in line and a main theatre that had been reduced in size to (I guess) accommodate more cabins. The theatre size really didn't matter because the shows were not worth seeing with small casts, minimal sets and costumes, and canned music.

By contrast, Valor's entertainment was the best I've seen in seven previous Carnival cruises. The production shows were fantastic with 15 cast members and a live band. The comedy shows were in a theatre in the rear of the ship that probably could hold twice what can be accommodated on Sunshine.

Even the lounge band acts were above average. Way to go Valor.

How was the Valor otherwise? I think it is scheduled for a dry dock soon so I have avoided it.

We were on the Sunshine and enjoyed the shows and we are pretty picky. I think we just hit it at the right time, the performers were near the end of their contract and had meshed with each other and did a good job.

We had an experience like how you perceived the Sunshine on the Glory last year. The shows were so bad we left early or quit going. I think the performers were pretty new. I think you were fortunate to find the "old" type of entertainment on your cruise. I am sure it will be changing soon as this seems to be the way they are going with the orchestra gone and fewer performers.

I knew the Valor was heading to drydock in a couple of months. However, the only major maintenance item that was obvious was the need to repaint the hull. There was very little rust elsewhere. Even the carpets were in pretty good shape. Once the ship gets the 2.0 enhancements, it should be stunning.

We just got off the Splendor and had the same experience. Awesome entertainment with live a great cast in show room as well as the show band. Unfortunately, she also goes into dry dock soon and from what I was told, they are adding the playlist productions and doing away with the show band and cast. Very disappointing! I don't like this direction that Carnival is going with entertainment!!

Pat

We were on the Valor last month and loved the comedy shows, they switched out the 2 early week comedians for 2 fresh, new ones later in week so there was variety. The productions shows were some of the best we have seen on any ship. We really enjoyed the entertainment this time around.

We just got off the Carnival Valor. Last year, we sailed on Carnival Sunshine.

I thought the Sunshine's entertainment was pathetic with a ridiculously small comedy venue that was difficult to get into without a very long wait in line and a main theatre that had been reduced in size to (I guess) accommodate more cabins. The theatre size really didn't matter because the shows were not worth seeing with small casts, minimal sets and costumes, and canned music.

By contrast, Valor's entertainment was the best I've seen in seven previous Carnival cruises. The production shows were fantastic with 15 cast members and a live band. The comedy shows were in a theatre in the rear of the ship that probably could hold twice what can be accommodated on Sunshine.

Even the lounge band acts were above average. Way to go Valor.

Bigger theater and bigger comedy club than Sunshine, and Sunshine holds more guests than Valor. You were correct that the theater on Sunshine was shrunk to make room for more cabins. This has also been done on the Vista, which is of course a brand new ship, but compared to Dream class, the theater & other venues have been shrunk to make room for more cabins.

I feel the same as you about the entertainment. I'm not a fan of playlist productions. There are some people that do enjoy it and even prefer it to what Valor has. That is certainly a small minority opinion, but they're out there. It's more common to find people that just simply don't care about the entertainment at all. They just want their guys burgers and anything else with the label of 2.0. For me, I would want to stick with ships like Dream & how Valor is right now.