Kids Account on Ship

packer99

I know I have to put a credit card down once I board ship (Norwegian Escape)for all my on board ship expenses but can I put cash down for my 11 year old? I don't want him to rack up expenses in the arcade etc without me knowing so I thought if I could put $100 down on his account he would know his limit and I wouldn't have too many surprises. He's a pretty good kid but I don't want him to get crazy with his ship account at times where we let him venture on his own.

Yes, you can do a cash account for your child. I think I would decide how much he could have for the cruise, but not put the full amount down up front. Put a smaller amount and when he has spent it, he will have an idea of 'the value of money' and pace himself with the amount you add to it. EM

I know I have to put a credit card down once I board ship (Norwegian Escape)for all my on board ship expenses but can I put cash down for my 11 year old? I don't want him to rack up expenses in the arcade etc without me knowing so I thought if I could put $100 down on his account he would know his limit and I wouldn't have too many surprises. He's a pretty good kid but I don't want him to get crazy with his ship account at times where we let him venture on his own.

You should post this question on the NCL forum rather than this general forum. You're getting answers from people that are general to cruise lines, and NCL may operate differently. If you do a search on the NCL forum, you'll see this question has been asked there. There have been reports that despite putting a cash amount on your child's account, NCL will allow them to charge more than the cash on the account and charge your credit card for it. I haven't had personal experience with it as we sailed Carnival when my kids were young and they weren't allowed to charge more than the cash I put on their accounts. But, it appears it doesn't work the same way on NCL.

On Norwegian the child's account will be tied to your credit card. There is no limit imposed, so you need to be diligent. If he's allowed to use $100 for the entire cruise you can keep track of his spending by looking on the interactive TV in your room or going to Guest Services and getting a printout. Make sure he realized EVERY game in the Arcade is going to go on the account so he needs to really be aware of how the money is going.