certificate

carlp

my was attended a charity fundraiser last month, and she won a Holland certificate for a 7 day Caribbean or Mexico cruise for 2 -

its an ocean-view cabin. states all we need to pay are the taxes.

anyone ever use something like this - any catches?

Congratulations on the win!!

No catches but there are some limitations. I won a cruise playing bingo on a HAL ship (but mine was for an inside cabin) so I think your win would be similar in nature.

First off, the cruise is likely for the most inexpensive outside cabin. If you want to upgrade, you can, but you will have to pay the difference in cost which is understandable. Second, you do not have to cruise in the Caribbean or Mexico. I used mine on a 5 day Pacific Coastal cruise. (I upgraded us to an aft balcony.)

The other thing to be cautious of is that you won't be able to get any other promotions with your win. So, if, for example, Explore4 is offered when you choose to book, you will not get those perks. Again, understandable but a little disappointing for this frugal person. The one thing that is applicable is the OBC shareholder benefit if you are a shareholder of Carnival Corp.

Just follow the instructions on the certificate, call the department indicated, and ask them to tell you what the limitations are. As your offer is different than mine was, it's possible that what I've stated above has changed. My experience was in 2014.

Enjoy your win!!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

If you don't like the room category they offer you, probably a fully obstructed OV which will have a window for natural light but no view, you might be able to negotiate for an Inside in a location you prefer, or pay more for an upgrade.

Taxes aren't the only expense, once onboard you will be charged Hotel Service Charge of, I believe, $12 per day per person. These are sometimes called Gratuity or Tips which go to the crew for their service.

But still it sounds like a great deal, hope you get to enjoy it. Report back to us how things move along and if you have more questions. m--