Galveston questions

AZCactusCruiser

We are on the November 6th Liberty of the Seas sailing and have a couple of questions regarding Galveston.

The first question is does RCI have a shuttle from HOU/IAH to Galveston?

The second question is the departure date of Nov 6th coincides with the last day of the Lone Star Rally, a four day motorcycle rally, that they say draws up to 500,000 people in Galveston. Has anyone experienced a departure while this rally is going on? If so. what are traffic conditions like?

Thanks for your help.

We are on the November 6th Liberty of the Seas sailing and have a couple of questions regarding Galveston.

The second question is the departure date of Nov 6th coincides with the last day of the Lone Star Rally, a four day motorcycle rally, that they say draws up to 500,000 people in Galveston. Has anyone experienced a departure while this rally is going on? If so. what are traffic conditions like?

Thanks for your help.

Royal has a shuttle to/from IAH and HOU. Cost is $47pp for IAH and $32pp for HOU. These would only run on the days of embarkation and disembarkation.

1/2 a million extra people??? :eek: Thank GOD we are not getting there until the following weekend.

1/2 a million extra people??? :eek: Thank GOD we are not getting there until the following weekend.

Yeah, Galveston from what I hear isn't that big, plus adding 500k more people, I can only imagine the traffic and problems getting to the port. Staying in Galveston probably isn't an option as Super 8 motel has rooms listed at $500/night, so you can imagine the other hotel prices.

We've done the Lone Star Rally. I can't imagine the last day of the rally causing any traffic issues to those heading onto the island. Galveston traffic is typically heavy on weekend mornings, from everyone heading to the island. However, by heavy, I don't mean bumper to bumper or stop and go. It's a 6 lane highway.

We've gone out of Galveston twice and not had any issues.

Edit: my biggest concern would be arriving at the port. You'll probably take the Port Industral exit off of I-45. The cruise port is only a street over from the rally venue.....that could cause some real traffic issues for you when you near the cruise terminal. Allow extra time for that possibility. Also, if you are not lulled to sleep by v-twin motors....don't stay on the island during the rally. You'll hear loud bikes all night.

Edited by Kingofwylietx

Is 500,000 a great exaggeration or is that really how many people attend?

That is not an exaggeration, it is pretty accurate. Go to http://www.lonestarrally.com and realize they took the pics of all those people one street over from the cruise terminal.

Don't be to worried about it. The city does a great job of keeping traffic flowing. They don't allow people to park on the Main Street in front of the cruise terminal. I'm just suggesting that you allow some extra transit time. Most of the people at the rally will sleep in, so you'll fare much better in the morning....hard partying bikers don't get up and head downtown early in the morning. :D

They have been doing this rally for many years, and people managed to get aboard their ships every single year. Don't sweat it.

Edited by Kingofwylietx

Thanks for your help.

You might check the Gulf Coast Departures forum for other ideas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

• 4 weeks later...

We went out on this very weekend 2 years ago. Due to the price increase on hotels we stayed around the space center for a cheaper room and then drove in the morning the ship left. The interstate to the island was no problem at all as all the bikes were heading the other way. Once on the island there was some extra traffic but it was not bad at all. The worst part was right down next to the port. There was a bit more traffic there due to where some of the biker events were going on in that area but it was nothing that bothered us. Seems as if most people were packing up and leaving the island that morning and so a lot of them were already gone by the time we got to the island at about 9am. Other cruisers pulling u-turns and cutting in the traffic line were more of a problem than any of the bikers were. Just allow a little bit more time and you should be fine.

We are going to be on the same sailing as you and happened to get a room at the Scottish Inn awhile ago at what we think is a decent rate. We would have preferred to stay at the Harbor House, but imagine that, it was full.

I'm concerned with a motorcycle rally are going to get any sleep the night before? Is the place going to be a party every night?

I'm concerned with a motorcycle rally are going to get any sleep the night before? Is the place going to be a party every night?

I think with 500,000 motorcyclists there will probably be very little noise and most of them will be in bed fast asleep by 8pm. :D:D:D

I think with 500,000 motorcyclists there will probably be very little noise and most of them will be in bed fast asleep by 8pm. :D:D:D

That's pretty much what I was expecting but I was hoping someone would say otherwise. :) I'll go ahead and cancel our reservation and find a place around Hobby for the night.

Chris

That's pretty much what I was expecting but I was hoping someone would say otherwise. :) I'll go ahead and cancel our reservation and find a place around Hobby for the night.

Chris

We stay at the Drury Inn Hobby Airport. In fact we just checked in there a little while ago. This is our third time staying here. We are sailing on the Carnival Magic tomorrow.

I like the evening reception with food and drinks, hot breakfast, 1 hour free phone calls, and soda and popcorn all evening long. If you enter "FUN" in the promo code box you should get a discount.

Royal has a shuttle to/from IAH and HOU. Cost is $47pp for IAH and $32pp for HOU. These would only run on the days of embarkation and disembarkation.

Their shuttles can still be used if you arrive a day or more early. Just take the airport shuttle back to the airport on departure morning, and meet the cruise line shuttle. Or the reverse if you are staying in town after the cruise.