All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Anita, I'm glad this bout with Covid wasn't bad for you and that you bounced back quickly.  

Slidergirl -- your gambling seems to be similar to mine, ha.  I get a few scratch offs, and play a small amount of slots once a year when we cruise.  I guess it takes too long to earn money to spend it that fast!

My husband and I looked at options, and we ended up going with a three night specialty dinner package. As it turns out, I saw the now infamous Premier Package, and booked it.  Of course it was a mistake, but they kindly let me cancel it and gave me $50 OBC, so I used that towards it.  I knew the Premier Package was too good to be true, but there was no reason not to book it.  In a worst case scenario, it's a mistake and you get your money back, right?

I was telling my husband today that I get excited about planning our cruises, even though we have a long time before we cruise.  Then he mentioned we are about 6 months away.  After a moment, I realized that time was going quickly.  We haven't booked anything for St. Maarten or St. Kitts yet.  In St. Maarten, I may book Bernard's Tours again.  We have used them twice, and they always have a lot of options.  If Rosemary's is still there, I think that will be our choice for lunch.  It's really good there.

St. Kitts...we don't think we've been there before.  I think we were scheduled to with one of our cruises but then weather redirected us.  Since we have a day at Cococay, we are looking for non-beach things to do.

No harm in planning cruise outfits either!  I think I kind of have everything picked out, believe it or not.  Well, picked out in my head.  I am going to do the same thing I did with the last cruise, where I try to get items of the dress, shoes and accessories separate, and then combine them with the layout app.  I find it a great way to review what I'm planning without dragging everything back out.  I think I'm going to do this with my daytime outfits as well.  

I'm going to try not to bring too many shoes, if I can.

Melody, how are you doing?  How has your weather been?  We got a foot of snow on Tuesday.  Then it reached 52 degrees today.  We live in strange times...

• Like 1

St Kitts book a private with Thenford Grey Tours. Fabulous

our weather?  Wednesday I sat on deck for w hours with a book & 75 degrees. Today it’s 14 & snowing like crazy. Bipolar weather

pt is going well. I was there Weds & an older woman was complaining bitterly about having to do exercises (for a broken ankle, no surgery) because she was so old. I couldn’t resist. I said, bet I’m older than you. She looked at me, sniffed & said I doubt it (I was doing bridges & leg lifts). I said, okay how old are you?  She said I’m 61. I (couldn’t hold it) laughed & said I’m 72. She finished quickly & left. I didn’t mean to make her feel bad. My pt (who was also hers). Said she’s an old 60s. You’re a young 70s. I said I really thought she was older than me. She’s been doing pt for a non surgical broken ankle for 6 weeks. It was my second session. Or said, she’ll end up in a scooter, she doesn’t want to heal. I’m out of the boot except when out in snow. I’m feeling pretty good. Melody

• Like 1

Definitely bipolar weather here too.  It's snowing right now.  I think Colorado and Central New York have some weather similarities, don't they?  It's hard to imagine living anywhere else though.  I love the Syracuse area, including the things that make it special, such as the Dome, the upside down light near Coleman's, Dinosaur Barbecue...it's all good.  I love sports, and we have a myriad of Syracuse University sports to see, as well as the Syracuse Crunch (hockey) and the Syracuse Mets.

My current plan for this weekend is to finish up the laundry, and take in some NCAA men's basketball tonight.  Tomorrow, we're going to the home show, and I will be doing some ironing.  If all goes well, I'm going to pair some accessories to cruise clothes, because I can't wait to go on vacation.  

I often buy my grandson clothes at Old Navy.  They're priced really well, and made well fo rthe price.  Last year, I got a few sales items for my daughters and myself.  They have a good sale going on now, and I got my grandson two swim trunk and rash guard sets.  This is for his Easter basket.  While I was there, I saw linen pants and crops for $14.00, so I am going to try them  Like most linen pants, they have an elastic waistband so that should be helpful as I continue to work out.  I also like wearing linen during the summer, and my husband and I are focused on doing little things, whether it be finding a restaurant with outdoor seating, going to a movie, or whatever.  I don't dress up, but I wear a lot of the same casual wear that I wear on a cruise.  Linen pants would make a nice addition.

• Like 1

I get to drive tomorrow (for the first time in 2 months!). Can’t wait. I might wander to Old Navy. I like their tshirt dresses for over a swimsuit. I might try their linen pants too (lots cheaper than Athleta or Chicos!!  Melody

• Like 1

@slidergirl Glad that your hair has been coming back in after the Covid loss...that was one thing that concerned me greatly because I lost so much. My hair grows annoyingly fast and so when my hairlets as you say were of a certain length, they all stuck out on my head like a weird hair halo...and that's when I shaved/buzzed my head.

Speaking of...my hair has grown out so much...I got a cut but the woman styled me in a very old lady style. I felt like I looked 5-10 years older...it was not me at all...but my hair would do what so many of her clients wanted their hair to do...and so I think she was enthused to have that hair style actually work on someone? I washed my hair immediately when I got home..

And I've realized that I haven't been having as much fun with the growing out process as I should and could be having...so I'm looking for another hair dresser and will try to get in next week. I'm looking for what I will call a messy pixie cut...hopefully I'll feel good enough to share a photo of that one.

Melody...what a great feeling you must have had at the PT place! I know it isn't the thing to compare ourselves to others but it happens...and sometimes it happens in such a way that we end up feeling really good about ourselves...if we ever beat ourselves up on the other side of the comparison...it surely stands to reason that we lift ourselves up from time to time as well. I definitely think you are young in spirit and just have to deal with your foot after that awful incident...but you deal with it in such an admirable way. I really hope we can have a little get together if you take that PC cruise.

Laurie...I have been dealing with my wardrobe too. I've decided to start sewing for myself. There's a website...a community sewing kind of website...and I've entered one of the contests. It's a Sudoku wardrobe contest. It's a 4x4 grid where you have 4 bottoms, 4 tops, 4 pairs of shoes, and 4 extras. Place one item in each square such that you end up with 4 column outfits, 4 row outfits and 2 diagonal outfits. You have to sew 10 of 16 items for the Sudoku grid. I just started without a real plan but my plan has been taking shape as I go. I've decided to make 4 different views of the same skirt pattern...at least 3 views of the same shirt pattern. I've used a fabric that I've had for YEARS...since Hancock went out of business...and old patterns that I've been wanting to sew for too long. Making the skirt fit as I want it to has been a challenge. My Great Grandma taught me some sewing basics...so I'm actually very good at sewing construction...but I'm not a good fitter...that's the skill that I'm working on...and it's challenging. But the process has taught me why I have a hard time with certain style of RTW clothing...apparently my back side is a different size from my front. Apparently I have a bigger rear end/upper hip than a normal straight size would allow for. At the end of this process I should have a great pattern all figured out.

I've also come to realize that this time in our FL home has let me explore more of what my own style/taste is. I think I might redo the Style Statement book...and see what happens.

• Like 1

Laurie, St. Kitts has a scenic train ride that might be nice for both of you, not too much exertion and a change of pace from the beach:

http://www.stkittsscenicrailway.com/the-train.html

I'm already planning clothing for our October cruise, so I get it, Laurie!  We've nailed down our six activities and will visit Stonehenge on debarkation day, on the way to Heathrow. Since we will have a lot of cold weather wear and footwear, we are debating going semiformal and skipping the tux and gowns. It will save room especially on shoes for me. 🙂

We had an icy blizzard on Tuesday and then rain, so no snow left. This week we are headed into the 50s and 60s and likely won't go backwards at this time of year. Yay!

• Like 1

Margaret, we love trains so this may be the perfect idea for us.

Melody, you must feel like you are being sprung from jail.  It is so hard when you can't do your usual things.

Anita, I was thinking about the Style Statement book.  Over time, I have felt that elegant and harmony are indeed reflective of my personality...at least, what I aim for. I got to thinking that there was more words to describe my style, and then I realized that we don't always think outside the box.

For example, harmony.  I want people to get along.  I want clothes or household decor to compliment each other without competing.

I also realized I treat clothing like a uniform - I feel certain things are worn for certain events or tasks.  It dawned on me not too long ago that you could view that as part of harmony.  It probably sounds crazy, but my work clothes are only worn to work, gym clothes only worn for exercising.  

The word elegant may be one where it isn't as dominant as it once was, but still a part of who I am, or how I want things to look.

I have found myself really discovering so much about myself.  I'm more comfortable with myself in certain areas, such as when I stopped coloring my hair.  I'm excited to do things I love and enjoy, instead of always focusing on work or others.  I used to feel so guilty.   

I might just get my style statement book out again too.  I think it would teach me a lot about what has changed and what has stayed the same.

Margaret, I was trying on some  dresses this morning.  I love mix and matching accessories and daytime outfits.  I try to make a point of having tops that can worn with different shorts or sandals, for example.  With dresses though, I don't do that.  I think about how the dress fits that particular night's dinner.  

I'm thinking about Kibbe as well.  Do I have that word correct?  I have something saved on that so I need to look it up.  Dramatic classic, I think it was.

• Like 1

Anita, if we get to PC you know I’ll get in touch with you!!

Laurie, the StKitts train with catamaran back was good, but you really don’t see much of the island, some nice entertainment on the train tho. It was very hot on the train (no ac)

I’ve been in the same 3 pairs of black sweats since 23 Jan (only ones that fit over the boot. I put on Zenergy leggings yesterday & felt fabulous. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a quiet week around here... just a heads up that Old Navy has quite a few brown summer items and EARTH-friendly tops. Some nice greens too. Bike shorts were on sale for $12 and I picked up a nice teal pair.

Laurie, you inspired me to get out my Style Statement book again. It's interesting to re-read, especially in my current post-covid, non-working life. I feel a bit more motivated to work on some of the projects and wish list items that I've been uninspired about. I've been trying to keep to a schedule that works better for me, getting up earlier and using my morning energy to jump start what I want to do that day, and taking some downtime in my late afternoon slump time.

I've been doing a lot of spring cleaning, and rereading the book has reminded me how much I love our decorating, both at the apartment and the cottage. It really does "spark joy" (at least when it's tidy and clean lol). I'm not in the mood to change anything, but I do want to shed some more things that we just don't use. We are putting together a bin of family stuff to go to DH's sister. I'm also noticing now that our reno at the lake is approaching the 20 year mark that we have some replacing of worn items to do. I'm meeting with our painter this weekend to spruce up our guest room, which also needs new carpet.

You know, I have a silver-plated tea service that was a wedding gift that I haven't used since my mother-in-law was alive. I really don't know what to do with it. Nobody wants them any more, and you can't give them away even on eBay. It's a shame.

Edited by MJC
  • Like 1

Hi Margaret!  I ordered a few things from Old Navy recently.  They are a great source of items for my grandson, and for Easter, I got him a few things that just came in. I'd rather get him non-candy items, since I know he will get candy from others.

I received part of my order a few days ago.  The cropped linen pants came in.  They are very nice and comfy.  They are nice warm shade of green.  I'm waiting on the wide leg pants.  I went back and forth on what color to order, and finally chose both.  Between the sale and my coupon, I got them for less than $14 each so I figured it was worth it. 

It is currently snowing, so I am trying to imagine summer and wearing linen. It was about 20- degrees warmer just a few hours ago when I was on my way home from work.

I should go back and take a look, because I had originally headed to the site for my grandson, and saw the linen bottoms on sale.  I didn't look at anything else.  I know that the items I have purchased from them in the past year or two have all been very nice - good colors and quality.  I think the only thing from them that don't fit me well are their jeans, for some reason.  

I just saw this, and if I place an order, I may toss this in.  It's only $6, and I purchased one of these tees last year and it was really nice.  The first color looks earthy.  I think even the flower stems are brown.

EveryWear Printed Slub-Knit T-Shirt for Women | Old Navy (gap.com)

What items have you seen, Margaret?

• Like 1

The batik blue looks warm.  Do you agree?  I like to find colors that are fun.  I'm not a huge fan of pull on shorts, but I have a pair I purchased last year from them and I wore those quite a bit last summer.

High-Waisted Linen-Blend Utility Shorts for Women -- 3.5-inch inseam | Old Navy (gap.com)

• Like 1

Sometimes, I am totally not in the mood to try on clothes.  I admit that I haven't really shopped at all in person in quite some time.  We plan to go to the Waterloo Outlet Mall when we are on vacation the week after next, and they have an Old Navy there.  There are a handful of other stores too, so I will dress in easy clothes, and easy shoes.  There is nothing worse than having to fuss with shoe laces and things like that, you know? 

Funny side story: I recently placed an order with DIllards.  The items didn't fit right so I sent them back.  Today I received a delivery from them, and I couldn't figure out what it could be because I didn't reorder anything.  When I opened the package, it was the same shirt again.  After checking my order, the shirt I returned was a final sale so they sent it back to me.  lol!!   Here's the plan: I love the shirt, but it was too big.  I'm going to take the side seams in, and make the sleeves 3/4 length.  I loved the shirt, just not the fit.

Calvin Klein Leopard Print Chiffon Round Neck Long Blouson Sleeve Blouse | Dillard's (dillards.com)

• Like 1

I like that!

I bought a gauzy summer tank dress that has pockets on the sides, so stupid looking, but I'm going to have the dry cleaner cut them and and resew the seams for me. It is a lovely teal and it is cool and floaty for hot days at the lake. But those pockets, yuk.

• Like 1

Hi all, guess I’ll have to pop into Old Navy since I can drive again!!!  I could use a couple of floaty tshirt dresses

Foot is healing, walking is much easier (no pain). I can get back into gym next week!!!

Laurie, Opening Day!!

Delta airlines just came back into Colorado Springs (after 15 years of not flying here). We immediately booked our air to Ft Lauderdale for next February & got their “hi, we’re back in town” rate. Too good to turn down. First class for both of us for less than we spent in December from Denver on Southwest. Don’t have to drive to Denver & park our car for over $400.  Happy day!!  Melody

• Like 1

Melody, glad to hear you are improving and getting out more. Way to go. Good news about the airport situation.

DH bought tix to a Yankees game for our birthday. I would have preferred the Mets, but with our schedule and their schedule we just couldn't get it to work. I don't even know who they're playing! But baseball, a hot dog, and a beer sounds just right to me.

I'm tagging along on a work trip to Tel Aviv at the end of April. I will need to look nice for the dinners and around the hotel due to possible run ins with his business contacts, but otherwise its just a nice bit of downtime for me. The hotel is really pretty and right on the beach, so I can go walking as much as I like and sit by the pool and read. We have our eye on the political situation and don't expect it will affect our plans at this point, but we'll stay flexible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Melody, glad to hear you are improving and getting out more. Way to go. Good news about the airport situation.

DH bought tix to a Yankees game for our birthday. I would have preferred the Mets, but with our schedule and their schedule we just couldn't get it to work. I don't even know who they're playing! But baseball, a hot dog, and a beer sounds just right to me.

I'm tagging along on a work trip to Tel Aviv at the end of April. I will need to look nice for the dinners and around the hotel due to possible run ins with his business contacts, but otherwise its just a nice bit of downtime for me. The hotel is really pretty and right on the beach, so I can go walking as much as I like and sit by the pool and read. We have our eye on the political situation and don't expect it will affect our plans at this point, but we'll stay flexible.

MJC - which hotel in Tel Aviv?  I used to tag along with my now-ex on a few trips there.  Stayed at the Dan Tel Aviv, right on the Promenade on the beach.  I loved to walked the Promenade.  

Melody - your PT story had me thinking about when I rehabbed my leg.  My PT office here in town does a lot of rehab for the US Ski Team and some pro athletes.  More than enough incentive for me to try to "keep up" with them.  

I did a little birthday shopping for myself at Free People.  Yes, that shop.  There was a pair of pants that called to me for summer fun - the First Impression Hike Pant.  Yes, expensive.  But, it's my birthday present.  Just call me the old boho hippie lady...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Kat. My pt is at the Olympic Training Center (my surgeon is the head ortho surgeon for the OTC). I get to pt with some top athletes 

So, you know what it's like!  They inspire to push through.

• Like 1

Baseball is awesome.  You know I am a Red Sox fan, but I follow the Mets quite a bit.  The Syracuse Mets are their farm team.

I totally messed up, and should have taken a personal day today.  There was this funny "permission slip" type thing circulating on social media, and I sent it to my boss today at lunch time.  He laughed and said that I definitely should have asked for a personal day - he would have granted it!  Opening Day should be a holiday or something.

I enjoyed seeing the Mets play.  I have been to see the Yankees and the Mets before.  Stadium wise, I thought they were rather similar but it has been a long time.  I love the old ball park feel of Fenway.  Someday, I really want to travel and go to different parks.  I told my husband if we ever win the lottery, that is the plan...travel to all the different ball parks!

You want to hear another funny thing about Dillard's returning the shirt?  It wasn't the same one they shipped me the first time.  This one fit much better, but the sleeves are still a bit long.I'm going to wear it once under a jacket, and then decide where I want the sleeves to land.  3/4 sleeves are always my preference because it seems like when it comes to work clothes, sleeves are always too long.  

I am just itching to "do stuff". I think it is because my husband's health has really changed what we have been able to do for over a year.  He had a good spurt recently of almost two months, so we've gone to lacrosse games, worked on home projects, and so forth.  With our upcoming staycation, we are excited about doing some little things, such as going to Movie Tavern, going to the outlet mall, meeting up with my step mother for lunch, etc.

And I'm hyper focused on the cruise, even if it isn't until September.  I still need to plan out St. Maarten and St. Kitts.  I got to thinking that if I do a tour in one, I'll do something different on the other island.  Maybe we will do the train excursion. We love trains.  You may remember back almost eight (!) years ago when we did the Pacific coastal cruise that we did a train trip in San Francisco.  It was quite long, and there were wine pairings and a multi course meal.  It was so much fun. My husband and I have talked about taking a train trip someday.

I have also thought about taking a train to the NYC area.  I figured  we could board right here in Syracuse, and go through Grand Central Station.  I have no idea if that is even feasible, but I would love to do that someday.

• Like 1

The train ride from Syracuse to NYC is very pretty. You will arrive at Penn Station though, not Grand Central.

We drive to baseball games so we prefer Shea stadium to Yankee because its closer and easier to park. When DH was a young lawyer, his firm had a box there, and if nobody was taking clients they would let the young lawyers have the tix for like $20. So I got to see Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden and HoJo play back in the day. It was so fun.

• Like 1