Port to Rome Trip in one day

MickeyP

There are many threads here recommending train as a very viable way to get to and see Rome.

Some specifics would be helpful. How long is your ship in port? How mobile are you- can you walk without difficulty?

Edited by CruiserBruce

Have been working on this very same issue so here's what I might suggest. First define how much time you will have in Rome itself. You need to look at Trenitalia and decide what trains n AM and PM you are comfortable with. This is a commute run so there are more trains on weekdays but they do get crowded.

Remember to give yourself enough time to get to the train station in Rome as well as back to the ship in Civi at the end of the day.

Once you have that info you can plan your day. The big two are the Vatican area and/or Ancient Rome (colosseum, forum and Palatine hill). Some tours try to do both by just driving by but I really like to see a place. My personal plan is to aim for a 7:30 train to Rome, spend the bulk of time at the ancient sites and if I can then wander off to the Parthenon and the area by Trevi before my return.

Your goals may be different. Couple of other tips. Look into the BIRG pass for your travel, good on trains, metro and buses for the day. Also be aware from recent posts that the port gate at Civi. has been moved and is now farther from the train station. Finally think about your next port. We head to Naples and I realize that if I missed my connection back to the ship I could jump on a train to there and actually beat the ship.

Have fun.

I used a company called Smartcruisetours.com. They did an excellent job. A bus picks up outside the port and drops off near the Vatican. They also have tour packages. The price was very reasonable. I would recommend them.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I will tell you how I did it last year.

The cruise arrived at 8:00 to the port.

The free shuttle from the ship to outsite the port will leave at a parking station far from the train, and the only option is to take the bus that leave from there (2 euros)

I took the 8:42 train to S.Prietro (Near the Vatican) (arrived at 9:30 app)

. $5 euros app. I bought the ticket at Venice train station (the tickets last 60 days), but you can buy at the civittavechia station or 14 days before in the trenitalia website.

other trains: 8:56-9:56(arrival), 9:43-10:26(arrival).

For the return I took the frecciabianca tren at 16:57 (this one I bought at trenitalia website at 9.00 euros) because it didnt stop in any other station and have AC and better seats (reserved seats). It arrived at 17:40 at the station and took a taxi to the ship.

The last call for the ship was at 18:30.

I recommend buying the ticket to the vatican museum and the colisseum in advance or you will be on the queue all day.

Edited by cr_hunter

What times is your ship in port Mickey? Do you have anything specific to see? A BIRG ticket that costs 12 euros is all you need to cover the round trip train + metro within Rome. You can buy this pass at the Civittavechia station. You'll need to provide more details to get more specifics

• 2 weeks later...

Hi: I think I might try something similar to cr_hunter's post above, and even found the option of the express train, Frecciabianca, to return arriving port at 5:39. I will be on NCL Spirit arriving Friday, June 3rd, 8am and ship leaves 7pm. Next port is Naples as well. My question is will I have time to enter the Colosseum only, I was thinking a timed underground 1.5 hrs tour, to make sure I could by pass the lines. The only other thing I want to accomplish in Rome is Trevi and Spanish Steps, plus walk and enjoy a bit of Rome on my own. I know the Colosseum stop is said to be Roma Ostiense. I know many people have different opinions, therefore I am asking many people, plus doing my homework. Hope someone is out there! Thanks in advance.

Maria

Edited by *dreamcatcher*

Hi Maria, you will have around 6 hours in Roma. Its plenty of time for your 3 main attractions and more. I didnt stop at Ostione Station, but from Roma termini is all downhill to the Colosseum (15 minutes walking you should expect). The city centre is easily walkable and you will find a lot of things to see. I recommend walk though the Ponte San Angelo and watch the Vatican City on the left. Maybe you could do a circuit from Roma termini, walking to fontana di trevi, then spanish steps , pont san angelo, walking to Piazza Navona and finish on the colusseum and palatine hill before returning to the roma terminal.

In my case, I took the train to S.Pietro station, went to the sistine chapel, ate at the vatican restaurant, walk to piazza Navona for an ice-cream, The pantheon, fontana di trevi, a walk to the colosseum around 2 pm and finished at the palatine hill before walking to the Roma termini 30 minutes before time (the train will announce the gate 20 minutes before departure), all with a 1 yr old baby and 7+ people. So its possible to do a lot of things in 6 hours if you plan in advance.

For what I read when I planned my trip it is better to arrive after noon to the colosseum because of the tours that start there (or the vatican museum depending on the tour). at 2 pm we waited around 20 minutes to pass security (a must for all before buying or entering the colosseum) and thats it. (not for the people that didnt buy the tickets in advance that had to take another long line at the right). p.s. buy water far away the colosseum its a huge scam (6 euros for a gatorade !!)

Thanks for the quick response. Great info! I thought of going to Roma termini instead of Ostione, so good, you think I can do that as well. I will be traveling with my college student daughter and I know I can get discounted Colosseum tkt for her, but do you recommend purchasing online ahead of time? If I do, I forgo the discount, but I am mostly concerned about standing in a long line for an hour to get into Colosseum, when I can be eating gelato, or having Cacio e Pepe at Piazza Navona, ha,ha! What are your thoughts, online tkt or wait to get in Rome? Appreciate your input.

I can't imagine why anybody would go to Termini if they didn't have to!! When you get off the train at Ostiense, you just take the metro which is in the same station two stops and emerge right at the Coliseum. There's absolutely no reason to go to Termini which is busy, crowded, and unappealing. I like to start there for one day whirlwind Rome port days, work my way past Piazza Navona, the Trevi fountain, the Spanish steps, the pantheon, and ending up at St. Peter's for a quick tour of the Basilica. You can then catch the train back to the port from the Roma San Pietro station. Voila, no Termini.

I can't imagine why anybody would go to Termini if they didn't have to!! When you get off the train at Ostiense, you just take the metro which is in the same station two stops and emerge right at the Coliseum. There's absolutely no reason to go to Termini which is busy, crowded, and unappealing. I like to start there for one day whirlwind Rome port days, work my way past Piazza Navona, the Trevi fountain, the Spanish steps, the pantheon, and ending up at St. Peter's for a quick tour of the Basilica. You can then catch the train back to the port from the Roma San Pietro station. Voila, no Termini.

What she said. :D

Plus, if you stay on the train until Termini, you are wasting precious time in Rome as it takes about another 15 minutes to arrive there after leaving Ostiense.

A few years back my daughter and I caught the train. Just do your research. On utube there is a video that will show u step by step. The past three I have joined my roll call for shared tours ( italytoursharing.com) which, I have to tell you was so much less stress. Even with the video, directions printed etc..I was still stressed using the train. It is easily doable though...google port to Rome utube.

Great info. Yes I am active on my roll call, even managing the shared tour spreadsheet, all the tours I am not going on, since I am DIY, all ports. The only one paying private transport is Livorno to get to Florence earlier. I think I would like to visit inside the Colosseum first, get off at Ostiense, for that, and take metro. That way I can just enjoy Rome the rest of the day. I will continue to research, individual train tkts, vs BIRG vs BIG, and taking express train back around 4-4:30. Will all so continue to research Colosseum tkts online vs Palatine hill. I did find US college discounts are Greece not Italy. Thanks for the help.