Verizon phone on the Escape

EleventyBangBang

I'm reading a lot of conflicting info on this and I'm confused. I thought there was a 40$ prepaid block of minutes for on-board use, but now what I'm being told is that this is only for in-port use, and that I'd basically be at the ship's mercy for whatever roaming NCL wants to charge on ship. Anyone have experience with this?

Also getting mixed reports on St. Thomas. Some say, it's a US territory so there's nothing special about it, no roaming, no plan required, others say yeah, it's still roaming.

In the three ports the Escape hits, what are some good wi-fi spots? And even if it's "free wifi", I'd still need to pay for data through Verizon, right?

Just trying to plan my options. I want to "unplug" as much as possible on this trip but will still need to check work email a few times. I can probably get away with no voice service. So it SOUNDS like my choices are 1. Buy Verizon block and check email in port, or 2. Buy internet block from NCL and check email on ship. That about right?

(tl;dr: Verizon + NCL experiences thread.)

I had an AT&T phone. In St Thomas you are in the US and there is no extra charge. So you can use it just like at home. On the ship, Tortola and Nassau you are internationaly roaming at $2.50 a minute and .50 cents per text message received. I kept my phone in airplane mode so it would not be searching for data all the time and no one could call me. My friend had to leave his phone on as he needed to receive calls due to his business. His bill will be high.

It just depends on your situation. The ship cellular worked just fine. Its just expensive to use.

I'm reading a lot of conflicting info on this and I'm confused. I thought there was a 40$ prepaid block of minutes for on-board use, but now what I'm being told is that this is only for in-port use, and that I'd basically be at the ship's mercy for whatever roaming NCL wants to charge on ship. Anyone have experience with this?

Also getting mixed reports on St. Thomas. Some say, it's a US territory so there's nothing special about it, no roaming, no plan required, others say yeah, it's still roaming.

In the three ports the Escape hits, what are some good wi-fi spots? And even if it's "free wifi", I'd still need to pay for data through Verizon, right?

Just trying to plan my options. I want to "unplug" as much as possible on this trip but will still need to check work email a few times. I can probably get away with no voice service. So it SOUNDS like my choices are 1. Buy Verizon block and check email in port, or 2. Buy internet block from NCL and check email on ship. That about right?

EleventyBangBang,

I also use Verizon as my carrier. In January of this year, I contacted Verizon and a spoke to a representative regarding purchasing an international calling plan. Verizon now has agreements with all the cruise lines.

They offer a $40.00 plan which gives you 100 minutes of talk, and 100 text messages and 100mb of data.

For $80.00 they offer 250 minutes of talk, 250 text messages and 250mb of data.

The representative will ask you for the name of your cruise ship and what ports you are visiting. The rep will also provide you with dialing instructions for each island.

We purchased the plan in order to check on our parents while we were gone.

We called from the ship multiple times, and we were not in port and were not charged a penny.

Upon our return ( we were gone from 1/22 - 2/1), I confirmed that I was not charged ANY additional fees, roaming charges, etc and then cancelled the plan. as the cost is for 30 days, Verizon pro-rated the amount and actually only paid $60.00.

As the Verizon rep explained to me, they have worked out agreements with all the cruise lines so you are not going to be charged any roaming fees.

I did place my phone in airplane mode as soon as we left the pier in NYC, that way my phone didn't burn through the 250mb's of data that the plan provided.

Enjoy your cruise !

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Based on a conversation I had with Verizon this week (I called in to get this package added to my phone for my upcoming 3/19 cruise on the Escape), the $40 package gives you 100 minutes of talk, 100 outgoing texts, unlimited incoming texts, and 100 MB of cellular data. This works at all three ports of call (St Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau) and while at sea on the Escape. In St. Thomas, USVI the talk time would be deducted from the 100 minutes, but outgoing texts and data would go against your domestic plan. I haven't been on my cruise yet, but that is what I was told by the Verizon rep this week. One thing to consider on an iPhone is to turn off iMessage so you make sure text messages go through as a text instead of using data. This would eat up data quickly if you sent a lot pics via iMessage using the cellular connection when you only have 100MB.

Some Verizon specific information:

First in St. Thomas Verizon is roaming, it is NOT included in your plan. Incoming texts, are a nickle, out going are 50 cents. Phone calls are by the minute unless you buy a block. Speak with your Verizon rep for that information.

Phones on the ship are charged at the ship rate as you connect through their tower.

Your best bet is to find an Internet hot spot in port and get free wi-fi. It is available in all ports.

Some Verizon specific information:

First in St. Thomas Verizon is roaming, it is NOT included in your plan. Incoming texts, are a nickle, out going are 50 cents. Phone calls are by the minute unless you buy a block. Speak with your Verizon rep for that information.

Phones on the ship are charged at the ship rate as you connect through their tower.

Your best bet is to find an Internet hot spot in port and get free wi-fi. It is available in all ports.

With the Verizon plan....

When you buy the $40 package

And

You use it at sea

You ARE NOT ever connecting to the ships tower

So NO extra ship charges

The plan is the best. I used it at sea. In port. No issue at all

Total charge from Verizon. $40

Ncl. $0

Listen up folks.....the Verizon plan eliminates the need to use the ships tower!!!!

You do not need to connect thru it nor do you need to buy the ships internet plan

I used it in January with no problem

My kids are off to Europe at spring break and they are putting the $40 plan on their phones as they were on the January cruise and saw how great it worked

Important.....use text message only...I.e. GREEN

Not BLUE. Or you will burn the data

Go to voice only and just turn data on to check email if you must check in A non wi fi area

I have Verizon - called and added the international plan - they asked the ship, ports, etc. I was able to use on the ship and land without issue - it was not using the ship's tower as the previous poster confirmed. It worked great - I was shocked!

I was shocked too!!!!

Just an addition FYI...once you add the $40 deal remember it's a monthly charge and will recur ....

So....its best to actually add this plan on the phone speaking with a human.....and best to add it starting a week or so before your trip and it will be active for 30 days.....

And....

While on the phone with the human you should also specify the end date

And then reconfirm the end date before you hang up

And then

Call the human back when you are back from the cruise to confirm the end is on your account

This is Verizon and we all know from experience that we must treat them this way

That's not to say you won't get lucky and not have an issue....I was lucky once myself ....but being a very long time Verizon cell customer I'm all too familiar with their mistakes

Fortunately they provide excellent cell service [emoji41]

Just an addition FYI...once you add the $40 deal remember it's a monthly charge and will recur ....

So....its best to actually add this plan on the phone speaking with a human.....and best to add it starting a week or so before your trip and it will be active for 30 days.....

And....

While on the phone with the human you should also specify the end date

And then reconfirm the end date before you hang up

And then

Call the human back when you are back from the cruise to confirm the end is on your account

This is Verizon and we all know from experience that we must treat them this way

That's not to say you won't get lucky and not have an issue....I was lucky once myself ....but being a very long time Verizon cell customer I'm all too familiar with their mistakes

Fortunately they provide excellent cell service [emoji41]

To add to this, check to see when your billing date is in relation to your cruise. My billing date was in the middle of my upcoming cruise. I was able to move my billing date back a few days so my cruise would fall entirely within the cruise. This is something you can check and confirm when you talk to the Verizon reps.

To add to this, check to see when your billing date is in relation to your cruise. My billing date was in the middle of my upcoming cruise. I was able to move my billing date back a few days so my cruise would fall entirely within the cruise. This is something you can check and confirm when you talk to the Verizon reps.

Excellent point

I did some Verizon website research yesterday on this point and it said that they would bill the $40 every 30 days from the first day you start the plan so that sounds as though it doesn't have anything to do with statement billing cycles....but....

Of course when I put the plan on in January the rep seemed thrilled that my cruise would start and end within one billing period

I presumed she meant my actual statement billing period....but she could have meant the 30 day thing

That's why this plan must be done with a human and not online and you must specifically remind the human that you do not expect this charge to recur....its once and done until to travel again. But they MUST be told this. The good reps are great...but the others[emoji79][emoji120]

Just an FYI for those that think this is just a cruise ship plan...it is not....it is an international talk text and data plan and can be used for land trips too

Btw...text means...text....not iMessage. So make sure you see green and are texting...not blue as you are messaging

Blue uses data!!!!

Edited by luvtheships

Excellent point

I did some Verizon website research yesterday on this point and it said that they would bill the $40 every 30 days from the first day you start the plan so that sounds as though it doesn't have anything to do with statement billing cycles....but....

Of course when I put the plan on in January the rep seemed thrilled that my cruise would start and end within one billing period

I presumed she meant my actual statement billing period....but she could have meant the 30 day thing

That's why this plan must be done with a human and not online and you must specifically remind the human that you do not expect this charge to recur....its once and done until to travel again. But they MUST be told this. The good reps are great...but the others[emoji79][emoji120]

Just an FYI for those that think this is just a cruise ship plan...it is not....it is an international talk text and data plan and can be used for land trips too

Btw...text means...text....not iMessage. So make sure you see green and are texting...not blue as you are messaging

Blue uses data!!!!

It's easier for the reps to start and end at the beginning of a billing cycle, but certainly not necessary. If they need to, they will split the charge for x number of days each cycle to total 30 days, but it's more work, which is why (like you said) they prefer when it hits within a cycle.

I've also used this on land trips overseas. I turn off iMessage when out of country to be sure I don't waste data sending iMessages.

Also, instead of calling a rep, I use the live internet chat whenever making these requests. At the end, you can print out the chat transcript, or have it emailed to you. That way you have specific documention of what the start/stop dates are, answers you were given to any questions asked, etc. You're still communicating with a live person, but you have documentaion of it.

FYI- Just priced this out for the Getaway using the link above, and found you can also purchase just a data plan (no minutes or sent messages, but unlimited incoming messages). It's $25 for 100 MB which isn't a lot of data, but consider that purchasing a 250 MB plan through the ship will cost you $125 and the Verizon deal looks pretty good :)

FYI- Just priced this out for the Getaway using the link above, and found you can also purchase just a data plan (no minutes or sent messages, but unlimited incoming messages). It's $25 for 100 MB which isn't a lot of data, but consider that purchasing a 250 MB plan through the ship will cost you $125 and the Verizon deal looks pretty good :)

That's great for data only

If I'm not mistaken for the next step up from the $40 talk text and data plan being discussed in this thread is the $85 level which gives 250mg I believe plus the talk and text. Feature....should you require more than just a data plan

I don't recall how many extra talk minutes and text you get st $85 though

Bottom line...Verizon has a variety of good plans for cruising and no need to pay the exorbitant ate Ncl prices any longer if you are with Verizon

Also Verizon has a $2 per day deal if I you are going to Canada or Mexico that

You just add for the days needed

My daughter will be in Montreal with the school band for 4 days so for a grand total of $8 we can stay connected and she will be using our domestic plan allowances.

They have this deal for Europe too at $10 per day for only the days used so it could cost a lot or a little depending on how many 24 hour periods you wind up using. You can of course do the $40/$85 plans in Europe as well. Just not the $2 plan

The $10 and $2 plans hook into your Verizon talk text and data plans you currently have so the only limits you have are the limits you have on your domestic plan

Since we all have unlimited talk and text...it's only the data gig that matters.

Also remember be it Europe or Canada or cruise or Mexico.....go to texting....not messaging....go green!!!! Lol

I just set up 2 of my kids phones for this plan in Europe and......

1. Absolutely speak to a rep!!!!

2. They are now prorating the cost. So 10 days needed 10 days you pay

I questioned her about this in detail as I thought it sounded too good to be true...and it probably is but what the heck it will cost $40 or some portion thereof for 100/100/100 deal

3. Be prepared to follow up with Verizon and make triple sure they have the end date for your service needs clearly updated or they will continue this plan on a monthly basis.

Bottom line is that you are adding an international feature to your phone with a monthly charge.....and Verizon needs to be aware of its end date or they continue to charge you

They also need the start and end date in order to prorate it

4. Make sure apps like fb or Pinterest are not auto updating or your data will burn up for no good reason

5. Text ....do not ....iMessage.... or you burn up data It's 100 outgoing texts that are included not 100 outgoing iMessages. Incoming texts are unlimited. So just set yourself up in green...not blue

6. Go to voice roaming only and shut off cellular data. Turn cell data on only when you actually want to use data to check websites email etc. bottom line try to do this stuff in wifi and only use the 100 mg when absolutely needed. Or get a bigger plan if that's not possible

7. Turn your phone off for 10 seconds and back on before you leave home

Oh and the real fun part is that if you are setting up multiple phone lines that are going to different foreign locations like I was.....you get to speak to the rep for so long that you become friends and start chatting about places to visit in said locations. Lol

Have the large mug of coffee at hand.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Definitely look into the travel pass option through Verizon. You are only charged IF you use your phone that day. Rates vary from $2 a day (Mexico/Canada) to $10 a day (Bahamas/Grand Cayman/etc).

I used it on my last trip on the Disney Fantasy and was able to use my domestic data/minutes/text allowance while in Grand Cayman and Mexico.

I also added an 'at sea' mobile plan for $40/month. I got my bill already and have accrued no additional charges other than those I expected ($40 + 2 + 10).

Call a rep and they can help you. I had to call to get the 'at sea' package as it wasn't letting me set that up on the website once I had the travel pass set up.

Definitely look into the travel pass option through Verizon. You are only charged IF you use your phone that day. Rates vary from $2 a day (Mexico/Canada) to $10 a day (Bahamas/Grand Cayman/etc).

I used it on my last trip on the Disney Fantasy and was able to use my domestic data/minutes/text allowance while in Grand Cayman and Mexico.

I also added an 'at sea' mobile plan for $40/month. I got my bill already and have accrued no additional charges other than those I expected ($40 + 2 + 10).

Call a rep and they can help you. I had to call to get the 'at sea' package as it wasn't letting me set that up on the website once I had the travel pass set up.

Question..... Why did you need a $10 daily charge for the days you used it as well as the $40 plan?

The$40 plan would cover you on land as well. It did for me but I made a point of not using it to much on land

Also they are prorating the days for the $40 plan now

$40 is for 30 days but if you tell the rep your start and end date you only pay those prorated dates..but I admit I have my doubts about this but we shall see

I agree with the info crusin6 posted above but I too call Verizon 3x so I get the same answer 2x. Lol

Edited by luvtheships

Question..... Why did you need a $10 daily charge for the days you used it as well as the $40 plan?

Because I went to town on data when I knew I could. I knew I would handily go over the allotment on the $40 plan when at ports.

We were able to find free wifi in the places we went to in the ports on the Feb 20 sailing.

St. Thomas there was wifi at The Mountain Top

Tortolla - we took a boat to Jost Van Dyke and found wifi at The Soggy Dollar bar

Nassau - There was wifi in Dunkin Donuts and I believe also at Mcdonalds

We were in airplane mode the entire time, no need to pay for any Verizon service.

We were able to find free wifi in the places we went to in the ports on the Feb 20 sailing.

St. Thomas there was wifi at The Mountain Top

Tortolla - we took a boat to Jost Van Dyke and found wifi at The Soggy Dollar bar

Nassau - There was wifi in Dunkin Donuts and I believe also at Mcdonalds

We were in airplane mode the entire time, no need to pay for any Verizon service.

The reason I like the Verizon service is because I was able to call home from my inside cabin or in port or on deck etc. plus text back home with no worries for a grand total of $40. Much better than the per minute cost of a cabin phone and better than audio FaceTime which would have required buying the o er priced ncl internet service

Personally I love the Verizon plan and love it even more that they are prorating it now

Ok I'm back again from yet another 60 minute call with Verizon wireless

Surprise surprise some of the info the rep gave me and I posted here was incorrect. Imagine that

I'm only going to say this.....

Call them don't add it online

Ask every question you can think of

Ask again

Then verify that no matter...if you use 100/100/100 or less that the most you will be charged is $40

Then reconfirm start and end dates for the month

Then ask for the email to be sent now

Open email

Then go over everything again.

Maybe once more for good luck

Btw they really need to fix their computer timing issue with this plan because it's their program that causes issues and needs to be fixed

They also admitted their website had some erroneous wording

With the Verizon plan....

When you buy the $40 package

And

You use it at sea

You ARE NOT ever connecting to the ships tower

So NO extra ship charges

The plan is the best. I used it at sea. In port. No issue at all

Total charge from Verizon. $40

Ncl. $0

Listen up folks.....the Verizon plan eliminates the need to use the ships tower!!!!

You do not need to connect thru it nor do you need to buy the ships internet plan

I used it in January with no problem

My kids are off to Europe at spring break and they are putting the $40 plan on their phones as they were on the January cruise and saw how great it worked

Important.....use text message only...I.e. GREEN

Not BLUE. Or you will burn the data

Go to voice only and just turn data on to check email if you must check in A non wi fi area

This is mostly correct. I used to work at VZW. The billing portion of your post is correct; however, you DO connect through the cell tower on the ship. This is important because if you look at your phone it will say Cellular at Sea after leaving port.

Verizon has contracted reduced rates with Cellular At Sea for their customers. Cellular At Sea will bill Verizon for the activity and Verizon will not pass on that cost to you. Verizon will only charge you the $40. A cell signal from shore is not strong enough to reach the middle of the Caribbean.

This is mostly correct. I used to work at VZW. The billing portion of your post is correct; however, you DO connect through the cell tower on the ship. This is important because if you look at your phone it will say Cellular at Sea after leaving port.

Verizon has contracted reduced rates with Cellular At Sea for their customers. Cellular At Sea will bill Verizon for the activity and Verizon will not pass on that cost to you. Verizon will only charge you the $40. A cell signal from shore is not strong enough to reach the middle of the Caribbean.

Thanks for the clarification. I was pleasantly surprised I was only charged $40

Now all Verizon needs to do is fix the split cycle billing issue because seriously they make it very complicated if you are traveling over a start/end of. your billing cycle. So now we have to plan our trips based on our witless billing cycle? Lol.

Verizon may say it's no real issue but trust me it is as their reps are not proficient when you want to add this plan and you are traveling and your billing cycle happens to end while you are on the beach in st kitts. Lol

I actually have been on the phone with a human from Verizon for a total of 130 minutes this week

First getting incorrect info

Then having the next day's rep apologize for the previous day's rep mistakes

Then finally calling a 3 rd time to make sure the 2nd rep was indeed correct

So how much is the total cost to Verizon per hour for their unionized probably longterm rep who I know can easily make $65000 a year? Plus benefits cost?

If you figure salary and benefits for 2 hours it cost Verizon more to fix their own mistakes and bad info than they are charging me for the 100/100/100 package!!!! Lol

Are you listening Verizon wireless????

Oh and I suggested....very jovially of course....just how much this cost the company and that a simple programming update should do the trick

She said she would put it in the suggestion box. Ha

• 2 months later...

Does anybody know it the Verizon Travel Pass allows you to use the hot spot feature on the iPhone so that other devices can use the internet. I'm mostly interested in the $10/day plan for use in ports.