Best time for Christmas Markets cruise

TravlGrl

Hello everyone! We are newbies to river cruising but have been on 36 ocean cruises, so please be patient with me as I realize river cruising will be a different experience. :) I'm just starting to research a Christmas Markets cruise in 2017, and while I realize that most schedules are not out yet (I think only Ama has them available at this point), I'm wondering what the best week would be to visit the markets? :confused:

I've read conflicting information online, but I know I'll receive some good first-hand experiences on CC. I've read to not go over Christmas because many of the markets will not be fully operational. But I've also read that going over Christmas and New Years will provide the best opportunity to see all markets in full. Those are two completely different statements, so I'm stuck.

We'd ideally like to go over Christmas, but will we be short-changing ourselves? Will some markets be closed? Is it better to go during the days leading up to Christmas?

I'm a planner, and I realize this is literally 22 months away for us, but I'd like to get a plan and budget in place now so we know what to expect.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Edited by TravlGrl

Best time to go is anytime that the Christmas Markets are open, almost all German markets close on 23rd. December, for me Christmas Markets loose their flair if they are open after Christmas.

Instead of asking when to go, more important is where to go, so many choices:

Rhine

Rhine / Moselle

Rhine / Main / RMD Canal

Upper Danube

Lower Danube

One country or multiply countries.

I agree if you want Christmas Markets, do not go between Christmas & New Years. Many other things will be closed for Christmas, Christmas Eve, New Years etc.

There are lots of websites posting market dates (not all available for 2016 yet) to confirm what you want to see will be open http://www.christmasmarkets.com/Germany.html

Caviargal has done at least one cruise between Christmas & New Years and I know she's posted reviews about the special events the cruise line set up, so if you're interested in that time period, I'd definitely look for her posts on the subject.

(I definitely wanted markets, and I wanted a specific sort of longer but not too long itinerary so we picked based on that - it was only available one date - late november to early December 2014. We wanted longer than 7 days [which sort of end up being only 5 nights on a boat] but didn't have time to do 14 days, so we found a 9 day itinerary Nuremberg to Basel that got us some great markets and was the length we wanted)

We have done multiple Christmas market trips to Europe, several by river cruise and others independently by land. Our favorite time to be in Europe for sure!

If you can be there on Dec. 6th, there are often special events taking place in the towns and cities and those have been very memorable.

Re the week between Christmas and New Years, we have done two river cruises (my husband's company was always closed that week and the dates just worked out for us). Some markets were open but not in full swing as they are during Advent. We had a great trip with AMA on the Rhine in 2013, departing Basel on 12/28, and they had special events for passengers, including a fun NYE party. When we did that same week with Avalon several years before, it was a snooze fest.

Ok, this is all really good feedback. We're not interested in the events on the boat during NYE as we've done NYE cruises and also Christmas cruises on the ocean, so for us, this is all about the markets. It sounds like we need to really do this in the month of December, but before Christmas.

I'll do further research on which rivers, but at this point, I'm leaning toward what I can see in Germany/Austria over no more than 8 nights on the river. We'll do more research though and will bookmark that website to get a good gauge on the market dates even if my dates aren't out yet (I can at least look at the weeks).

We're not interested in the events on the boat during NYE as we've done NYE cruises and also Christmas cruises on the ocean, so for us, this is all about the markets. It sounds like we need to really do this in the month of December, but before Christmas.

It is more than just NYE on the boat that AMA made special. They added excursions to places not on their normal itinerary as these had their markets open. No extra cost to passengers for this. One turned out to be an all time favorite. That extra effort for passengers was very much appreciated!

We have done the Main, Rhine, Danube and Rhine/Moselle over the market season.

It is more than just NYE on the boat that AMA made special. They added excursions to places not on their normal itinerary as these had their markets open. No extra cost to passengers for this. One turned out to be an all time favorite. That extra effort for passengers was very much appreciated!

We have done the Main, Rhine, Danube and Rhine/Moselle over the market season.

Ooooh, very good to know. Ok. I think I need to do a search of your posts/reviews. :) Thank you!

We have been twice and found early to mid December best for us. We like to be home for Christmas so our pets are not in the kennel! We have been down the Rhine, Danube and will be on the Main River in December this year. One of our favorite stops was pre cruise in Rothenburg ob de Tauber. This was independent train travel after some work for my spouse, we caught the ship in Nuremberg. Try and be in some of the towns after dark as the lights are spectacular!!! We fell in love with river cruising after approx. 40 cruises on medium to large ships.

Second seating

I love all of the feedback here! I've spent quite a bit of time today doing more and more research, and I believe we are narrowing down to the Danube. (And early to mid-December seems to be a good choice!)

We've spent time traveling Germany by land, and did just a day cruise on the Rhein and Mosel rivers, so would like something different. We've spent time in Nuremburg and Rothenburg, but it was in September, not at Christmas time.

I'm liking the options on the Danube that include Prague and Budapest and everything in between on the Danube. Though, Budapest is not a must. A lot of this will depend on pricing and timing of course, so for now, I'm looking at the 2016 pricing to get an idea of what to expect.

Keep the feedback coming. It is appreciated!

Edited by TravlGrl

[quote name=TravlGrl;49240821

I'm liking the options on the Danube that include Prague and Budapest and everything in between on the Danube. Though' date=' Budapest is not a must. A lot of this will depend on pricing and timing of course, so for now, I'm looking at the 2016 pricing to get an idea of what to expect.

Keep the feedback coming. It is appreciated![/quote]

LOVE Budapest and the markets there were wonderful! Lots of authentic and unique foods and entertainment. We spent 4 days there pre cruise and had a wonderful time. Headed back this fall after AMA cruise on the Danube.

Hello TravlGrl,

as you have seen a little of the Rhine and Moselle I tend to agree with you to explore the Danube. The Christmas markets in Bavaria are authentically old (a lot of them) and Nuremberg is probably the market to go to. Great place for German food, too. I would try to include that town.

Just one thing: the Christmas markets often get crowded as you have the locals, day trippers and tourists joining in the fun. They close around dinnertime so best time to see is afternoon. It gets dark around 5.30pm in November.

The Main river towns also have a great appeal.

notamermaid

Hello TravlGrl,

Just one thing: the Christmas markets often get crowded as you have the locals, day trippers and tourists joining in the fun. They close around dinnertime so best time to see is afternoon. It gets dark around 5.30pm in November.

Evenings and weekends when the locals are out is my favorite time to be there! Love the lights and festive atmosphere.

Having lived in Bavaria for three years, Christmas market season is my favorite time to travel. Please avoid Nuremberg's market - there is very little authentic merchandise. If you have already seen the beautiful city, which I love, I wouldn't go to their market. Vienna, Bratislava, and Budapest are probably my favorite markets outside of Germany. The cities are lovely and you can find some unique items to take home. In Germany I love the markets in Würzburg, Bremen, Berlin, Regensburg, Bamberg, and a few smaller villages if you are interested just let me know. Rothenburg o.d.T. is a beautiful city but the market is ok. If you've never been, it's a great city to visit and the market is just a plus.

This is a great thread. We are planning our first river cruise for November 2017.

Kathy

Kathy -- We too are looking at next year, but probably early-mid December, I'm thinking now. Lots of good information here!

2003Soccer17 - Thanks for the additional considerations. It feels like we need to do another land trip to Germany as well!

Ok, so I've narrowed it down to these three, but DH hasn't provided a preference yet.

Avalon

11-day Prague to Budapest, Dec 3 – 13, 2017

Ama Waterways

10-day Prague to Budapest (or Budapest to Nuremburg, then Prague??), Dec 3 – 12, 2017

Viking

8-day Budapest to Nuremburg (then Prague independently), Dec 2 or 3 – 11 or 12, 2017

I was really surprised to see that some cabin categories are already sold out. I started looking at this stuff just a few weeks ago and I didn't think that the sailings were even available then, so I was surprised to see the schedules are out now but with some cabins sold out already.

Edited by TravlGrl

Christmas Markets are in full swing during Advent - 4 weeks prior to Christmas Eve - and they close on 24 December. We did an AMA cruise starting in Budapest on 23 Dec to Prague. New Year's in Prague was memorable. Some Christmas Markets were still open until New Year's, however with maybe half their stalls. The special flair of Christmas Markets after Christmas is not there any more. To experience this you definitely have to go before the 24 Dec. We have been several time in Austria & Germany during this time period and always liked it.

Christmas Markets are in full swing during Advent - 4 weeks prior to Christmas Eve - and they close on 24 December. We did an AMA cruise starting in Budapest on 23 Dec to Prague. New Year's in Prague was memorable. Some Christmas Markets were still open until New Year's, however with maybe half their stalls. The special flair of Christmas Markets after Christmas is not there any more. To experience this you definitely have to go before the 24 Dec. We have been several time in Austria & Germany during this time period and always liked it.

Thanks Waverly! DH is keying in on this one. :)

AMA Waterways

10-day Budapest to Prague, Dec 3 – 12, 2017

Edited by TravlGrl

That's the same week we went this past December on Viking Nuremberg to Budapest. It was wonderful! Weather was pretty good too. Not as cold as usual and only rained on us in Nuremberg before we got on the ship. The markets were fantastic. The only one I was a little disappointed in was at Schoenbrun Palace in Vienna. The main market at the Town Hall was much better and easier to get to. Take an extra suitcase!!

Yep, we booked in August 2013 for Nov/Dec 2014 - there aren't very many boats doing Christmas Markets (compared to the summer sailing season) and they're very popular!

I guess that makes sense. I never really think about that since all of our cruising has been on an ocean, and we usually have many choices.

We DID officially hold our cabin on the AMA sailing of the Danube for December 2017. :) Our deposits are due next week.

DH is checking with another couple with whom we spend every Christmas (well, at least for the past 5-6 years). DH and I have really wanted to do a Christmas Markets cruise, and initially we thought this could be over Christmas, but obviously that's not the case. Regardless, we'll likely be joined by our good friends so it'll be a first river cruise for all of us though we are seasoned ocean cruisers.

A big THANK YOU to those on this thread lending advice over the past couple of weeks as we nailed down which would be right for us!

This is a very informative thread - thanks for posting! We're scheduled to go on a Christmas Markets river cruise that includes the December 6 time period. The cruise starts in Nuremberg with a possible pre-cruise extension in Prague. Instead of going to Prague first, we're thinking of flying into Munich a few days early and then going on to Nuremberg to meet the ship. The posts in this thread have given me some excellent ideas. Any suggestions as well as thoughts on best Christmas Markets experiences are greatly appreciated.

This is a very informative thread - thanks for posting! We're scheduled to go on a Christmas Markets river cruise that includes the December 6 time period. The cruise starts in Nuremberg with a possible pre-cruise extension in Prague. Instead of going to Prague first, we're thinking of flying into Munich a few days early and then going on to Nuremberg to meet the ship. The posts in this thread have given me some excellent ideas. Any suggestions as well as thoughts on best Christmas Markets experiences are greatly appreciated.

Munich is wonderful for a few days prior! Don't miss the Christmas market at Viktualienmarkt, which is fun any time of year and even more so at the holidays.

We like to stay at Sofitel right at the central station as it is so convenient as well as being a really nice hotel.

I would also recommend a day trip to Salzburg, only 90 minutes by train and a pleasure anytime of year. That was our best Dec. 6th experience!