Sage Mountain

buckeyefrank

My family and I will be in Tortolla in May. We are looking to hike Sage Mountain if it's dry enough. We are debating between using a taxi or renting a car. My concern with a taxi is that we get stranded, but I'm a little afraid of driving in Tortola with the cliffs.

Does anyone have an idea of how much a taxi would cost from the cruise terminal to Sage mountain? Also I heard there is a gift shop / restaurant that could call a taxi. Is that still the case?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

It's been years since we hiked Sage. Don't know how much has changed but back then there was no way to call for a taxi, nor was there a gift shop or restaurant. Also, trails were poorly marked and we ended up on our own but able to find our way back to the start. Bring plenty of water too.

Thanks for the info. From the more recent trips, it seems as though the trees have grown to a sufficient height to block some / all of the views. I guess we'll try to figure something else out. I'm not sure I feel comfortable hiking in a foreign country on a cruise.

Thanks

The taxi fare is $10pp each way and I would also be concerned about being stranded. Drivers are very good about returning to pick folks up, but...

Renting a Jeep may be the way to go for you. There are steep sections that you really can't avoid but also some switchbacks (esses) to help get over the hills. But driving isn't really that bad. You could drive to the park via instructions and decide if you want to hike or just tour the island and hit a beach.

Just a thought...nice way to experience Tortola. If you decide against hiking you could drive the coastal road toward West End/Sopers Hole and head over Zion Hill Rd which isn't that steep and visit Long Bay and perhaps head back over Zion to West End for a lunch at Fish N Lime.

Here's a map to give you an idea how less mountainous it is along the west end as compared to the route from Road Town over the hill...

http://www.skyviews.com/bviold/tortola/map.html

You will find there are several taxi drivers at the pier that provide excellent tours at very reasonable prices. I believe $25pp is typical for a 3 - 4 hr tour, not sure about pricing for little ones but the gals at the visitor center can help with any questions. So I wouldn't worry about pre-booking unless you want a private tour instead of a group tour. There are good reviews on the group tours in this forum you can find if you search that.

If you rent, Long Bay or Smuggler's Cove beach would be a nice day, you could actually do both as they are not far apart. The road from LB to SC is unpaved so you'd want a 4x4 vehicle just for the ground clearance.

Edited by blue_water

We vacationed on Tortola two years ago (almost exactly). There was a small shop at Sage - good place to get a drink if needed. The trails aren't much, and the views were even less.

That said, as mentioned above, hit TravelTalkOnline (http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/postlist.php?Board=BVI) for more specific info. The board tends to be sailboat/bareboat heavy, but the people on the board were invaluable for our land-based Tortola vacation.

• 3 months later...

We rented a car and hiked Sage Mountain with our three kids. Nice easy hike and we loved it. We drove around the insane steep roads and saw some beaches. It was a n easy hike, nothing like that crazy volcano hike in St. Kitts. I'd recommend it in a heart beat. We would do it again this September but I think we are doing a catamaran trip.