Golden Princess New Zealand 11th to 24th February 2016 - Complete Picture Review!

hopestotravelmore

didnt do the towels on my cruise either think they might for special occasions ?? they did do a display of it near the international cafe , that guy that spent $2000 on booze should have got the big drink card that did the booze and everything else would have cost him less than that

Great review,thank-you,loved it.While you have been away on c/c there has been an absolute furore over butter in the MDR,can you provide a report please. People are just about cutting their throats over this issue

where?? what they saying i didnt have a problem with it if they are saying it was no good , i thought it was good just had to check if soft if not leave for a few minutes [talk to someone ] and check if soft then if you copped some hard stuff , most nights was soft for me and i thought it tasted nice too

where?? what they saying i didnt have a problem with it if they are saying it was no good , i thought it was good just had to check if soft if not leave for a few minutes [talk to someone ] and check if soft then if you copped some hard stuff , most nights was soft for me and i thought it tasted nice too

Luv your review is fantastic,if you want to find the butter thread,but be prepared its a great laugh.

Luv your review is fantastic,if you want to find the butter thread,but be prepared its a great laugh.

this threads not mine but yes i found butter thread but if you mean the review i did do thanks :o

I have attached the Lotus Spa Favourites price list. In my planning, I could never find any prices to the Lotus Spa. Hope this helps someone.

EPSON003_zpsme9ijhjk.jpg

EPSON005_zps6yxwmrpv.jpg

EPSON004_zpsnziq0lv8.jpg

EPSON006a_zpstefoxc2s.jpg

THANK YOU IT DOES! I've been looking for the Lotus Spa pricing, and am delighted to find it! This 1st trip will be too busy exploring the ship's venues, but I will certainly use this information for my next Big Birthday Cruise-allowing for an increase of 20% on the current prices.

I intend to start a Savings Account towards the Big Cruise, even $5 a fortnight, builds up over time.

Eagerly waiting for the 2017-2018 schedule to be released, possibly Thursday-I have 3 possible cruises I need to price. Did find out the accessibility information re 1 port from another forum which has a cruising section, delightedly thanked the lady who provided the detailed information to me! Tossing up between a repeat of my 1st cruise; a 4 night choice or a 6 night choice. It's possible that the 4 night will be a necessity price-wise, then I need to do a yearly Melbourne-Sydney 2 night cruise to work towards qualifying as a Captain's Circle Elite member by the time of the Big Birthday Cruise.

Thank you so much and well done on your amazing review!

I was on the same cruise, and reading this was like going back in a time machine to our wonderful trip 2 months ago. It is interesting seeing it through another person's (your) perspective!

For those who have asked, I have also uploaded some MDR dinner menus and patters: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2321946

Crochetcruise I am busy planning my next cruise to. I have booked one to Asia and I would like to do a family cruise to the South Pacific.

I have been pricing my Alaskan cruise but that is going to be so expensive.

As I want to do a land trip while there and spend some time in each city I fly to. And all those shore excursions in Alaska can be expensive. Will just have to do more over time at work.

I really enjoyed reading your review!

So happy whenever I found that you posted with continuing commentary and photos.

New Zealand is a beautiful country! The coastline and farm land remind me of Ireland.

I can't imagine us being able to travel to New Zealand or Australia, so I do appreciate your lovely photos.

Now that the cruise bug has bitten you, I hope you will be able to take a number of future cruises. My DH and I think cruising is a great way to travel,especially in our,ahem, .....older years ( mid 60s).

I understand James' reaction to the many wheelchair and scooter users on your recent cruise. On our last cruise to the Caribbean in 2014, I was almost run over (twice!) by a lady on a motorized scooter in a matter of minutes when she was making a bee line to the Horizon Court !!

But my DH and I are pleased that since I have retired from teaching, we are not constricted to travel during school holidays. However that means we deal with others in an age group that can travel in the "off" times.

Not that we do not like children, it is just better for us to travel during quiet times when fares may be a bit more reasonable.

So,it now has been our experience that we can choose to travel with a great number of enthusiastic children or a great number of older folks who.are trying to enjoy travel in the best way they can.

When I grumble about either group ( really, I try not to grumble on vacation!), I am reminded about what my Mom would say to me (she lived to 93). "Where you are now,I once was...where I am now,you soon will be."

I hope that you and James eventually get to cruise Alaska.

The scenery is absolutely beautiful.

We found it to be so peaceful sailing past small villages,forests and mountains.

I think there is an excursion where you can fish for salmon ,bring it back to the ship where the chef will prepare it for your dinner.

An excursion such as this may entice your hubby to book an Alaskan cruise.

Also, if you ever consider visiting NY City, there is a repositioning cruise that leaves the NYC area at the end of every October to visit several islands and disembarks in Ft Lauderdale, FL.

With such a cruise,you could visit many places on this side of the world.

My DH and I are booked on that ten day cruise for this coming October.

It has been on my bucket list for while so fingers crossed,we will be on the Regal.this coming Fall.

Wherever you travel,however you travel, whomever you choose as travel companions, I wish you pleasurable journeys and wonderful memories.

Thank you for your review.

I hope you continue to post your reviews of your future travels.

I will be looking for them!

Hi Crochetcruise. I brought those photos as a package. 6 for $39.99AU but I think they were all under $10.00. There were two different sizes

THANK YOU! I've been calculating the number I'd need, probably 2 packages, so that's been added to the budget-the 6 for $39.99 is great value. By buying 2 packages, seems like I'd get 1 package "effectively free!"

In 30 weeks time, I should be ashore in Melbourne, having finished the cruise. Will be meeting up with friends, still to work out getting the luggage stored at the hotel-I'd rather NOT have to lug it with me while we're having lunch and exploring the Spencer Outlet Mall-lots of shops to explore I'm told!

Hopefully Thursday, the 2017-2018 Australian Cruising Schedule is released! I have a choice of 3 for my 2nd cruise-just depends on the pricing. Another poster kindly clarified the access at Port Lincoln for me, with a useful point about how a family member had problems, have noted to make sure I have a rest before trying to return to the ship-stamina IS a weak point of mine.

Sorry I made a mistake in the last post and CC wont let me change it.

James said we were too old for this sort of holiday."

It should have read...

James said we were too young for this sort of holiday.

Sorry

I finally finished reading your review and thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks so much for the time you have put in.

About half way through I had decided on our next cruise; Golden Princess to NZ. Then I read James' feelings on the demographic! I liked that so many of the areas looked peaceful and not crowded, and we don't mind sedate. But not comatose. What were your own views on this? Perhaps it was the itinerary?

Do you by chance have any photos of your cabin? I'd love to see those.

Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy your cruise to Asia just as much.

Just found this thread a few days ago and thoroughly enjoyed reading of your cruise. I have had my eye on this one and like you have been doing research through cruise critic. So your review is now part of my research. Really interested how easy you seemed to be able to book the private shore excursions. Scared to miss the ship I would be really hesitant to do them but definitely think I'd give it a go after reading your account. Glad you haven't been put off going on another cruise by your hubby. Each to there own.

Happy cruisin'!!!!! Or dreamin':D

• 2 weeks later...

@hopestotravelmore THANK YOU! For your amazing review on your cruise trip. Golden Princess looks lovely as always, I went on this lovely ship On November 12th 2015 to November 25th, had a Lovely time on Goldie (Golden Princess) I did Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and Akora, missed 3 Ports due to rough seas and High winds.

Looking at those photos took me back to when I was on her. There are some areas on the ship I missed as they weren't open. The food so yummy!! The last day was sad leaving Goldie behind. Oh and must add did see some dolphins on the way home aswell :)

Thank you for your in depth review! We have just booked this cruise for December 2016 and your informative comments will be most helpful. By the way I wrote a diary of our second last cruise (Arcadia World Cruise 2014) which you might be interested in as it describes a totally different type of cruise and demographics. I would have put it on cruise critic except a couple of passengers might recognize themselves and sue me. Email me at russwittick@yahoo.com.au if you would like to read it. Once again many thanks.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...
I finally finished reading your review and thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks so much for the time you have put in.

About half way through I had decided on our next cruise; Golden Princess to NZ. Then I read James' feelings on the demographic! I liked that so many of the areas looked peaceful and not crowded, and we don't mind sedate. But not comatose. What were your own views on this? Perhaps it was the itinerary?

Do you by chance have any photos of your cabin? I'd love to see those.

Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy your cruise to Asia just as much.

Ozscot

Thank you for your kind words. Don’t listen to James. I found the ship wonderful and all the people on board were great…very friendly and a lot of fun. I just think it was too long for James as he cannot learn to relax. He is like this wherever he goes. I would rather the age group we had than 100’s of children running around all hours

Just found this thread a few days ago and thoroughly enjoyed reading of your cruise. I have had my eye on this one and like you have been doing research through cruise critic. So your review is now part of my research. Really interested how easy you seemed to be able to book the private shore excursions. Scared to miss the ship I would be really hesitant to do them but definitely think I'd give it a go after reading your account. Glad you haven't been put off going on another cruise by your hubby. Each to there own.

Happy cruisin'!!!!! Or dreamin':D

Dreamin of the sea

Thank you. Please do book your own excursions as it’s very easy and they do get you back to the ship on time as its their business and all of them know CC and Trip advisor and do not want any bad reviews. James and his opinions would never put me off cruising. I just loved it so much.

@hopestotravelmore THANK YOU! For your amazing review on your cruise trip. Golden Princess looks lovely as always, I went on this lovely ship On November 12th 2015 to November 25th, had a Lovely time on Goldie (Golden Princess) I did Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and Akora, missed 3 Ports due to rough seas and High winds.

Looking at those photos took me back to when I was on her. There are some areas on the ship I missed as they weren't open. The food so yummy!! The last day was sad leaving Goldie behind. Oh and must add did see some dolphins on the way home aswell :)

Carley

Thank you for your kind words. I love the Golden Princess – she is a stunning ship and will always hold a special place in my heart. Lucky you for seeing some dolphins – we did look!

Thank you for your in depth review! We have just booked this cruise for December 2016 and your informative comments will be most helpful. By the way I wrote a diary of our second last cruise (Arcadia World Cruise 2014) which you might be interested in as it describes a totally different type of cruise and demographics. I would have put it on cruise critic except a couple of passengers might recognize themselves and sue me. Email me at russwittick@yahoo.com.au if you would like to read it. Once again many thanks.

Russ

Hi Russ

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you enjoy your cruise to NZ as much as I did. I wish you would put your review on CC just change the names...smiles

I really enjoyed reading your review!

So happy whenever I found that you posted with continuing commentary and photos.

New Zealand is a beautiful country! The coastline and farm land remind me of Ireland.

I can't imagine us being able to travel to New Zealand or Australia, so I do appreciate your lovely photos.

Now that the cruise bug has bitten you, I hope you will be able to take a number of future cruises. My DH and I think cruising is a great way to travel,especially in our,ahem, .....older years ( mid 60s).

I understand James' reaction to the many wheelchair and scooter users on your recent cruise. On our last cruise to the Caribbean in 2014, I was almost run over (twice!) by a lady on a motorized scooter in a matter of minutes when she was making a bee line to the Horizon Court !!

But my DH and I are pleased that since I have retired from teaching, we are not constricted to travel during school holidays. However that means we deal with others in an age group that can travel in the "off" times.

Not that we do not like children, it is just better for us to travel during quiet times when fares may be a bit more reasonable.

So,it now has been our experience that we can choose to travel with a great number of enthusiastic children or a great number of older folks who.are trying to enjoy travel in the best way they can.

When I grumble about either group ( really, I try not to grumble on vacation!), I am reminded about what my Mom would say to me (she lived to 93). "Where you are now,I once was...where I am now,you soon will be."

I hope that you and James eventually get to cruise Alaska.

The scenery is absolutely beautiful.

We found it to be so peaceful sailing past small villages,forests and mountains.

I think there is an excursion where you can fish for salmon ,bring it back to the ship where the chef will prepare it for your dinner.

An excursion such as this may entice your hubby to book an Alaskan cruise.

Also, if you ever consider visiting NY City, there is a repositioning cruise that leaves the NYC area at the end of every October to visit several islands and disembarks in Ft Lauderdale, FL.

With such a cruise,you could visit many places on this side of the world.

My DH and I are booked on that ten day cruise for this coming October.

It has been on my bucket list for while so fingers crossed,we will be on the Regal.this coming Fall.

Wherever you travel,however you travel, whomever you choose as travel companions, I wish you pleasurable journeys and wonderful memories.

Thank you for your review.

I hope you continue to post your reviews of your future travels.

I will be looking for them!

Thank you MJSailors for your kind words. I actually didn’t realize how long doing a cruise review would take me. Now I know…a very long time…smiles

I am aiming for Alaska in 2018. Would love to do a land/cruise tour plus some time in Alaska on our own. Would love to go further than Fairbanks and head to the Arctic Circle by car travelling the rugged Dalton Highway. James would love the idea of fishing for salmon and have the chef cook his catch for him.

I hope you enjoy your cruise in October. Leaving from NYC on a cruise is also on my bucket list and visiting the New England area would be stunning.

What a lovely review. New Zealand really might be "Middle Earth"

The photos were lovely. MY favorite cruises..........Panama Canal. The Ten Day Princess cruise........Aruba. Costa Rica. Cayman Island. Columbia ( Green, green everywhere.) And you get to cruise part of the way up the Canal.

Favorite Ports.........Curacao and Bonaire.

Barbados blew me away. So lovely. We cruise a good bit, living in Florida and able to drive to five ports....and being Seniors and able to cruise in the "off" seasons...................but we have stuck to the "pond". And it never grows old.

Enjoyed your writing so much!!!!!!! I also enjoy seeing the New Zealand segments "House Hunters International" does on New Zealand...and the Aussie Segments too. Loved "The Thornbirds". And "Max Max" and I could go on and on........"The Sundowners" etc.

• 1 year later...

Maureen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough and enjoyable review. Loved your sense of humor. DH also is not keen on cruising, and I could relate with you...:cool:

I was riveted, took notes and is much appreciated.

Hopefully, you took your Asian cruise this year :D

Dani