Carnival MasterCard

DebbieMo

I got my card and made purchases but did not get my 10,000 points credited yet. Do I have to wait until the they process the first statement or should I have gotten it after the first charge posted to the card?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I got mine last week and paid off my portion of the remaining balance of the cruise (a little over $100) and made another Carnival purchase and have not seen the 10,000 points either.

I used my card, waited a few days and no points so I sent them an e-mail and asked about the 10,000 points. They replied that the points would show following the first or second billing cycle. I want them to know that I will not forget about the points or the $75 gift card.

Just called customer service and was told the points will apply after the first statement is posted. 4-6 weeks for the gift card and it will come directly from carnival through the mail.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
158 days left to redeem points for that purchase. After the "time is up", that qualifying purchase disappears off the list of options.

You get 180 days from the purchase date to redeem points for it.

Quick question....if I use my new card to pay the deposit for my cruise but the cruise is a year away...my points for that purchase will expire WAY before my cruise. Could I make another payment before the 6 months is up and then use a statement credit to pay part of that? Does that make sense? I don't want my points to go to waste.

Quick question....if I use my new card to pay the deposit for my cruise but the cruise is a year away...my points for that purchase will expire WAY before my cruise. Could I make another payment before the 6 months is up and then use a statement credit to pay part of that? Does that make sense? I don't want my points to go to waste.

You points do not go to waste. You can save them and they will not expire. The only thing that expires is what will qualify as a statement credit. So if you book your cruise, you will have 180 days to use whatever built up points you have to make a statement credit for the cruise. Or you can save the points and use them after the cruise. Such as charge you sign and sail card to your Mastercard then when you get home you can use your points as a statement credit then. Plus you earned 2 pts per dollar for the amount on your sign and sail card.

Your points do not expire. They will continue to accumulate until you redeem (use) them for a statement credit or purchase an onboard credit. What expires is the opportunity to use them for statement credit toward a particular purchase. Your make a down payment today, you have 180 days to use points you have accumulated for that down payment. If you don't want to use your accumulated points towards that purchase, it's fine. They keep adding up. It's a bit confusing until you actually see it in print on your account.

You points do not go to waste. You can save them and they will not expire. The only thing that expires is what will qualify as a statement credit. So if you book your cruise, you will have 180 days to use whatever built up points you have to make a statement credit for the cruise. Or you can save the points and use them after the cruise. Such as charge you sign and sail card to your Mastercard then when you get home you can use your points as a statement credit then. Plus you earned 2 pts per dollar for the amount on your sign and sail card.

Your points do not expire. They will continue to accumulate until you redeem (use) them for a statement credit or purchase an onboard credit. What expires is the opportunity to use them for statement credit toward a particular purchase. Your make a down payment today, you have 180 days to use points you have accumulated for that down payment. If you don't want to use your accumulated points towards that purchase, it's fine. They keep adding up. It's a bit confusing until you actually see it in print on your account.

/\ What they said.:) I'm sorry, Fivemonkeysplus1, I haven't been on CC much lately and I missed your question. But bandtaxi and kgb46 got it right and probably stated it more concisely than I could have.:o

• 2 months later...

I am confused on the "purchases available for redemption". I have 24,276

I have an upcoming cruise on 10-1-16. My plan was to use my fun points (20,000) toward a $200 OBC. I have 3 purchases

Purchases available for redemption

5-23-16 Gaylord Opryland 102 days left Transaction amount $378.48

5-21-16 Gaylord Opryland 100 days left Transaction amount $133.00

3-20-16 Carnival Cruise 38 days left Transaction amount $1000.00

If I choose to redeem the transaction from Carnival Cruise, there are 3 options that pop up.

Redemption Amount Funpoints to redeem

$200 20,000

$150 15.000

$100 10,000

If I choose the $200 does this take 20,000 off of my total fun points of 24, 276? I am totally confused.

Please help me understand.

I am confused on the "purchases available for redemption". I have 24,276

I have an upcoming cruise on 10-1-16. My plan was to use my fun points (20,000) toward a $200 OBC. I have 3 purchases

Purchases available for redemption

5-23-16 Gaylord Opryland 102 days left Transaction amount $378.48

5-21-16 Gaylord Opryland 100 days left Transaction amount $133.00

3-20-16 Carnival Cruise 38 days left Transaction amount $1000.00

If I choose to redeem the transaction from Carnival Cruise, there are 3 options that pop up.

Redemption Amount Funpoints to redeem

$200 20,000

$150 15.000

$100 10,000

If I choose the $200 does this take 20,000 off of my total fun points of 24, 276? I am totally confused.

Please help me understand.

Yes, you've got it. You're not as confused as you think you are.;):) If you choose the $200 option under the Carnival purchase, 20,000 of your existing FunPoints will disappear from your FunPoints balance and in exchange, a $200 credit will appear on your credit card statement.:)

Yes, you've got it. You're not as confused as you think you are.;):) If you choose the $200 option under the Carnival purchase, 20,000 of your existing FunPoints will disappear from your FunPoints balance and in exchange, a $200 credit will appear on your credit card statement.:)

Which I think is the best way to use points because you earn points at a higher rate for the Carnival purchase and then get the statement credit. If you used it for an OBC, you would not be earning any points.

I understand about redeeming my total points ($1 for each point I redeem). I know that I earn 2 points for every dollar spent for a Carnival purchase and $1 for other purchases unless I go through the rewards boost.

However, I'm still not understanding why just these 3 purchases available for redemption are listed under "pay with funpoints" and why there are different fun points amounts associated with each. xample for the purchase made for $378.48 - when you click redeem now the pop up box shows for $200 I would have to redeem 22,222 points, $150 = 16,667 points, $100 = 11,111 points. Why is the amount of points and redemption value different? Why would I want to redeem 22,222 points for $200 when I can redeem 20,000 for the same amount. What makes these purchases different that any of my other purchases?

I'm sorry that I'm such a dummy, but I'm not getting it.

Which I think is the best way to use points because you earn points at a higher rate for the Carnival purchase and then get the statement credit. If you used it for an OBC, you would not be earning any points.

Correct. And the absolute best way is to wait until you have a Carnival purchase of $1500 or more and 100,000 FPs to cash in for a full $1500 statement credit on that purchase.:)

I understand about redeeming my total points ($1 for each point I redeem). I know that I earn 2 points for every dollar spent for a Carnival purchase and $1 for other purchases unless I go through the rewards boost.

However, I'm still not understanding why just these 3 purchases available for redemption are listed under "pay with funpoints" and why there are different fun points amounts associated with each. xample for the purchase made for $378.48 - when you click redeem now the pop up box shows for $200 I would have to redeem 22,222 points, $150 = 16,667 points, $100 = 11,111 points. Why is the amount of points and redemption value different? Why would I want to redeem 22,222 points for $200 when I can redeem 20,000 for the same amount. What makes these purchases different that any of my other purchases?

I'm sorry that I'm such a dummy, but I'm not getting it.

You're not a dummy; it's OK, it can be a little confusing at first if you're not aware of all the nuances of how the card works. The non-Carnival purchases have a worse redemption rate because they are not Carnival. It's just one of the rules of this card. Travel purchases such as hotels and airfare are "qualified purchases" for redemption, as are purchases from other cruiselines owned by Carnival Corp (such as HAL, Princess, etc.), but none of these will give you the redemption rate that Carnival purchases will. If you want the most "bang for your FunPoint", always cash in on a statement credit for a Carnival brand purchase (and always for an amount of at least $1500;)). Ignore the non-Carnival qualified purchases. They, as you noticed, are not a good "FunPoints deal".

The different FPs amounts associated with each purchase are the options that Barclays is giving you to cash in for statement credits towards those purchases. If, for instance, you had over 30,000 FPs instead of 24,276, you would be given the option to trade in 30,000 FPs for $300 back on that $1000 Carnival purchase, and so on, with larger amounts.

Does this help? I hope I'm explaining it clearly.:o

I think the difference in redemption rate may be Carnival vs. a different provider. (I have noticed this also and just used the statement credit for Carnival purchases only)

Yes, that's it. Carnival purchases get the best redemption rate, followed by other Carnival-owned cruiselines, followed by hotel and air.

Yes thank you very much. So in your opinion I should wait to redeem until I get at least 30,000 to get more for my money. At this point I should not worry about redeeming these purchases before they expire. I have gift cards to apply to help pay on the amount for my sign and sail card for the excusions, Cheers etc. Thank you so much for your help.

For those that don't know: the best redemption rate possible is for a Carnival brand purchase of $1500 or more.

A statement credit of $1000 for a Carnival purchase will cost you 100,000 FPs.

A statement credit of $1500 for a Carnival purchase will cost you the same 100,000 FPs.

And I'll take a moment to once again plug RewardsBoost (I promise that I have no professional affiliation with this card or this program - I'm just a very happy customer!:)):

The RewardsBoost shopping portal is the BEST way to accrue FPs FAST!

I just "cashed in" for the fifth time since getting this card in 2005. This time, I cashed in 177,819 FPs for a statement credit of $2,667.28 (the total amount of this particular Carnival purchase, thus the non-rounded numbers;)). It took me less than a year and a 1/2 to accumulate that 177,819 through using RB wisely. The points multipliers I get from RB make the double points from Carnival purchases seem tiny by comparison. I never bought anything I wasn't going to buy anyway, and I never paid more for any item than I otherwise would have, just to get extra points this way. Usually, I paid less, especially with free shipping to my front door from most stores.:)

If you have this credit card and haven't looked into RewardsBoost yet, do yourself a favour and check it out!;)

OK, unpaid advertisement over.:o

Yes thank you very much. So in your opinion I should wait to redeem until I get at least 30,000 to get more for my money. At this point I should not worry about redeeming these purchases before they expire. I have gift cards to apply to help pay on the amount for my sign and sail card for the excusions, Cheers etc. Thank you so much for your help.

You're very welcome.:) In my opinion, you should wait until you have 100,000 FPs and a Carnival purchase of at least $1500 for which to redeem them. Of course, that would mean not using your FPs for this particular purchase, but for some future cruise. Your FPs will not expire - they just grow and grow until you use them. But there is a limited time period in which you can redeem them for each purchase (just 38 more days in the case of your current Carnival purchase). If I were in your situation, and I knew that I would be cruising Carnival again sometime in the future, I would just wait and "sit" on my current FPs, build them up to 100,000 and apply them to the next cruise when I can get more out of them.;)

For those that don't know: the best redemption rate possible is for a Carnival brand purchase of $1500 or more.

A statement credit of $1000 for a Carnival purchase will cost you 100,000 FPs.

A statement credit of $1500 for a Carnival purchase will cost you the same 100,000 FPs.

And I'll take a moment to once again plug RewardsBoost (I promise that I have no professional affiliation with this card or this program - I'm just a very happy customer!:)):

The RewardsBoost shopping portal is the BEST way to accrue FPs FAST!

I just "cashed in" for the fifth time since getting this card in 2005. This time, I cashed in 177,819 FPs for a statement credit of $2,667.28 (the total amount of this particular Carnival purchase, thus the non-rounded numbers;)). It took me less than a year and a 1/2 to accumulate that 177,819 through using RB wisely. The points multipliers I get from RB make the double points from Carnival purchases seem tiny by comparison. I never bought anything I wasn't going to buy anyway, and I never paid more for any item than I otherwise would have, just to get extra points this way. Usually, I paid less, especially with free shipping to my front door from most stores.:)

If you have this credit card and haven't looked into RewardsBoost yet, do yourself a favour and check it out!;)

OK, unpaid advertisement over.:o

Is the RewardsBoost on the website? I'm having trouble finding it this morning. It could be the humidity affecting me...or my lack of coffee. :confused:

You're very welcome.:) In my opinion, you should wait until you have 100,000 FPs and a Carnival purchase of at least $1500 for which to redeem them. Of course, that would mean not using your FPs for this particular purchase, but for some future cruise. Your FPs will not expire - they just grow and grow until you use them. But there is a limited time period in which you can redeem them for each purchase (just 38 more days in the case of your current Carnival purchase). If I were in your situation, and I knew that I would be cruising Carnival again sometime in the future, I would just wait and "sit" on my current FPs, build them up to 100,000 and apply them to the next cruise when I can get more out of them.;)

Shaky, what is the difference in the exchange rate between say, redeeming 80,000 Fun Points on a cruise of $1,500 and redeeming 100,000 Fun Points on that same cruise? My apologies if you've already detailed this. Also, when did Barclay change their policy on how long Fun Points are good? Was this recent? It seems it wasn't that long ago, to my memory, that Fun Points expired after five years. I ask because I am debating whether or not to cash my Fun Points in on my upcoming cruise, or wait until the next one. I/we currently have close to 90,000 Fun Points. We were assuming we should use them, since we've been saving them close to, or perhaps a little more, than five years. Are you 100% certain the five year policy has been changed? Where can I find this info on the Barclay site? Thank you for your help and Happy Cruising!