Carnival MasterCard

DebbieMo

Have you actually tried applying yet? The link on my email wasn't working so I had to apply through another offer (that was not as good) then open a case with Barclay customer service to get the terms stated in the email.

I applied through the link in the email and it went smoothly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hello Skakybeef. I have the Carnival MC but have only recently started using it much. ( I was using my RCI card then used up the point on a cruise with them.) Now I'm back to the Carnival card but have not been watching the points. I'm a bit confused. Could you give an example of how "statement credit" compares to "OBC" for the same amount of points? Like Micah's Granddad's example: He used 70,000 points to get $700 OBC. What kind of statement credit would he have gotten for that amount of points? Is there a formula or something to figure this out?

Edited by Gayle V

Hello Skakybeef. I have the Carnival MC but have only recently started using it much. ( I was using my RCI card then used up the point on a cruise with them.) Now I'm back to the Carnival card but have not been watching the points. I'm a bit confused. Could you give an example of how "statement credit" compares to "OBC" for the same amount of points? Like Micah's Granddad's example: He used 70,000 points to get $700 OBC. What kind of statement credit would he have gotten for that amount of points? Is there a formula or something to figure this out?

I could have gotten a $ 700 statement credit but since we very rarely use the card thought it was best to just cash it out thru obc.

If we would have used the card as we had done in the past would have gone the statement credit route. However since our Sams M/C gives us 3% for all travel and restaurant checks no reason to continue using the Carnival M/c.

You're very welcome! Enjoy. I'm a fan of the card (which will be pretty obvious after you read a few of my many posts on the subject:o). The way I use it has gotten me several thousands of $$$ back (statement credits) in just 11 years. It's been totally Free Cruising Money:D - I've never paid a penny in fees or interest. ...I only wish I had switched over from using my debit card for everything to a rewards card like this years before I did.

I am so excited! I just got an email from Carnival today inviting me to apply, so I did and was approved. I will be using it on my next cruise, that's for sure!

Hi Gayle,

If you go into your account page, and click "Manage Rewards" (under your FunPoints total, on the right), then click on the big box in the center, "Start using my FunPoints", then, under "Pay With FunPoints", there's a calculator called: "How many "FunPoints" will I need to pay for my cruise?". On that calculator, you can plug in your qualifying purchase amount to see how many FunPoints it will cost to get a statement credit for that full amount.

Now, when you plug in $700 as the amount, you get 70,000 FP, which is the same redemption rate as Micah's Grandad got for his OBC. So no difference on that part of the equation, with that particular amount.

However, if you take into account the fact that you earn double FunPoints on Carnival purchases, if MG (I'm just continuing to use him as the example in this scenario, as you did, and not picking on him or singling him out for any reason:o) had not cashed in for OBC, but had instead paid his full S&S balance (aside from OBC from other sources, that he mentioned) with the Carnival MC, he would have earned twice the FPs.

So let's say before his cruise, he has a total of 70,000 FP. He cashes them all in and gets 700 OBC. He goes on his cruise and at the end, say his S&S total is $1000, before OBC is applied. OBC brings the balance due down to $300. He pays with his MC and earns 600 FPs for that "qualifying purchase". Now, when he comes home, and the dust settles (FPs and purchases post to account), he has 600 FPs. And he got a "refund" of sorts of $700. Total FPs earned (prior and during cruise) = 70,600.

Now, let's say before his cruise, he has a total of 70,000 FP. And he doesn't touch them.;) He goes on his cruise and at the end, say his S&S total is $1000. He pays with his MC and earns 2000 FPs for that "qualifying purchase". Now, when he comes home, and the dust settles (FPs and purchases post to account), he has 72,000 FPs. He then redeems 72,000 FPs and gets a credit statement of $720. Total FPs earned (prior and during cruise) = 72,000.

Granted, in this scenario of pretty small numbers, the difference between the 2 methods is only $20. But that's 20 real dollars, thrown away if one chooses to go the OBC route.

No offense intended towards MG or anybody else that chooses OBC. This is just my opinion, based on real numbers.

Now, once the purchase amount gets to $1500, the better redemption rate kicks in, so 100,000 FPs gets you a credit of $1500.;) So it's always wise to wait until you have enough to get that rate.

That's how you get more FPs for your $ and more $ for your FPs. :D

I hope this helped, and it wasn't too convoluted.:)

ETA: I just noticed an oversight in my math: it's not really a $20 difference, it's essentially a $14 difference, since in the first scenario, he has 600 FPs leftover, and in the second he has zero. Sorry about that.

But, if he waits to have enough to cash in for a $1500 purchase, that $14 / $20 becomes more.

Edited by ShakyBeef

BTW, I read the thread about the problem people were having redeeming. And I just clicked my "Redeem Now" button, above the calculator i was referring to, and sure enough, it bounces me back to my account summary page and gives me the error message:

"That wasn't supposed to happen!

We're sorry, something went unexpectedly wrong with your request. Please try again."

:(:rolleyes:

Well, it's not a big deal for me right now because I won't be cashing in until after September, when I'll have well over 200,000 FPs. But I hope for everybody else's sake, they get it fixed soon.:o

Hi Gayle,

If you go into your account page, and click "Manage Rewards" (under your FunPoints total, on the right), then click on the big box in the center, "Start using my FunPoints", then, under "Pay With FunPoints", there's a calculator called: "How many "FunPoints" will I need to pay for my cruise?". On that calculator, you can plug in your qualifying purchase amount to see how many FunPoints it will cost to get a statement credit for that full amount.

Now, when you plug in $700 as the amount, you get 70,000 FP, which is the same redemption rate as Micah's Grandad got for his OBC. So no difference on that part of the equation, with that particular amount.

However, if you take into account the fact that you earn double FunPoints on Carnival purchases, if MG (I'm just continuing to use him as the example in this scenario, as you did, and not picking on him or singling him out for any reason:o) had not cashed in for OBC, but had instead paid his full S&S balance (aside from OBC from other sources, that he mentioned) with the Carnival MC, he would have earned twice the FPs.

So let's say before his cruise, he has a total of 70,000 FP. He cashes them all in and gets 700 OBC. He goes on his cruise and at the end, say his S&S total is $1000, before OBC is applied. OBC brings the balance due down to $300. He pays with his MC and earns 600 FPs for that "qualifying purchase". Now, when he comes home, and the dust settles (FPs and purchases post to account), he has 600 FPs. And he got a "refund" of sorts of $700. Total FPs earned (prior and during cruise) = 70,600.

Now, let's say before his cruise, he has a total of 70,000 FP. And he doesn't touch them.;) He goes on his cruise and at the end, say his S&S total is $1000. He pays with his MC and earns 2000 FPs for that "qualifying purchase". Now, when he comes home, and the dust settles (FPs and purchases post to account), he has 72,000 FPs. He then redeems 72,000 FPs and gets a credit statement of $720. Total FPs earned (prior and during cruise) = 72,000.

Granted, in this scenario of pretty small numbers, the difference between the 2 methods is only $20. But that's 20 real dollars, thrown away if one chooses to go the OBC route.

No offense intended towards MG or anybody else that chooses OBC. This is just my opinion, based on real numbers.

Now, once the purchase amount gets to $1500, the better redemption rate kicks in, so 100,000 FPs gets you a credit of $1500.;) So it's always wise to wait until you have enough to get that rate.

That's how you get more FPs for your $ and more $ for your FPs. :D

I hope this helped, and it wasn't too convoluted.:)

ETA: I just noticed an oversight in my math: it's not really a $20 difference, it's essentially a $14 difference, since in the first scenario, he has 600 FPs leftover, and in the second he has zero. Sorry about that.

But, if he waits to have enough to cash in for a $1500 purchase, that $14 / $20 becomes more.

I am Micahs grandad and both he and myself approve this message.:)

If it wasnt for the fact that we are not using the card anymore would have done it differently.

I am Micahs grandad and both he and myself approve this message.:)

If it wasnt for the fact that we are not using the card anymore would have done it differently.

LOL:D Thanks, Micah's Grandad! So glad neither of you took offense.:):o

I tried to apply on Friday for the email offer of $75 gift card and 10,000 points but I guess it was busy and I could not get through until Saturday evening. After I filled out the application, it told me that the instant approval was unavailable and they would let me know within 10 days. After 10 hours instead of 10 days, they sent me an approval by e-mail. After that I started doing some research here with you good folks and because I am blonde and over 50, I wanted to clarify something. I know it is better to build up the points but if I am not going to do that can I make a payment of $100 with my TA and then transfer the 10,000 for $100 credit on the balance? That way I would get double points, get my first purchase out of the way to get the 10,000, and be able to use the $100 sooner than later. And yes, the TA payment would say Carnival. Thanks for the advice.

Firemanbobswife got me turned on to looking up ShakyBeef as a subject matter expert on this. I just started a thread this morning, but I am going to bookmark this as I think it covers most of my questions already. thanks

I tried to apply on Friday for the email offer of $75 gift card and 10,000 points but I guess it was busy and I could not get through until Saturday evening. After I filled out the application, it told me that the instant approval was unavailable and they would let me know within 10 days. After 10 hours instead of 10 days, they sent me an approval by e-mail. After that I started doing some research here with you good folks and because I am blonde and over 50, I wanted to clarify something. I know it is better to build up the points but if I am not going to do that can I make a payment of $100 with my TA and then transfer the 10,000 for $100 credit on the balance? That way I would get double points, get my first purchase out of the way to get the 10,000, and be able to use the $100 sooner than later. And yes, the TA payment would say Carnival. Thanks for the advice.

Yes, it sounds like you've got it straight.:) As long as the charge goes through as a Carnival purchase, it will earn you the double points, and it will be eligible for a statement credit, afterwards.

But, unless Barclay's has just recently changed this (and I don't have any reason to believe that they have), you don't have to have the exact amount of points for the qualifying purchase. In other words, you don't have to make a payment of exactly $100 in order to use your 10,000 points. You can use those 10,000 points towards any qualifying purchase amount of $100 or more. So, you could just make your whole final payment as one lump, earn all those double points at once, and redeem as many points as you have towards that final payment for a statement credit of a portion of that amount. Does that makes sense? Or did I just muddy it up more?:o

Yes, it sounds like you've got it straight.:) As long as the charge goes through as a Carnival purchase, it will earn you the double points, and it will be eligible for a statement credit, afterwards.

But, unless Barclay's has just recently changed this (and I don't have any reason to believe that they have), you don't have to have the exact amount of points for the qualifying purchase. In other words, you don't have to make a payment of exactly $100 in order to use your 10,000 points. You can use those 10,000 points towards any qualifying purchase amount of $100 or more. So, you could just make your whole final payment as one lump, earn all those double points at once, and redeem as many points as you have towards that final payment for a statement credit of a portion of that amount. Does that makes sense? Or did I just muddy it up more?:o

I think you made it more clear <?>

OK, a little ELI5 time for Lmaxwell. (Explain like I am 5).

Here is what I am now thinking based on what you said.

I have a final balance due of $330 (this may drop to around $250 because of an FCC I have applied), but stick with me here.

I get Barclay Card. Make a purchase, get 10K points.

Wife gets Barclay card. Make a purchase, get 10K points.

Then on the $250 remaining balance simply divvy it up as follows.

$125 on each card. Then take the point I have, which would be slightly over 10K each and redeem them towards a statement credit.

Or is 'slightly over" 10K points each not enough to make any difference and I should just pay $100 on each card and find another way to make the final $50 payment (gift card and save 10%???)

I think you made it more clear <?>

OK, a little ELI5 time for Lmaxwell. (Explain like I am 5).

Here is what I am now thinking based on what you said.

I have a final balance due of $330 (this may drop to around $250 because of an FCC I have applied), but stick with me here.

I get Barclay Card. Make a purchase, get 10K points.

Wife gets Barclay card. Make a purchase, get 10K points.

Then on the $250 remaining balance simply divvy it up as follows.

$125 on each card. Then take the point I have, which would be slightly over 10K each and redeem them towards a statement credit.

Or is 'slightly over" 10K points each not enough to make any difference and I should just pay $100 on each card and find another way to make the final $50 payment (gift card and save 10%???)

I'm sorry, I have absolutely no experience with using multiple cards to pay for a single purchase. I totally get why you would do this, each of you getting the card to get double the sign-up bonus, but I have never done it so I don't think I should attempt to advise on it.:o

Having made that disclaimer, though, I'll say it seems to me that your plan would work. But my answer to last question would depend on a few factors:

How much is the "slightly over" amount? In other words, how big of a purchase did you and your wife each make to get those initial points? Is it a $1 pack of gum - the super-cheap item, just to get the points to kick in?

Or is it that new $1500 appliance you needed to buy anyway, so you put it on the Carnival MC to get the points for it, and also bought it through a RewardsBoost seller, to maximize your points? Let's say this RB seller offers a FPs multiplier of 4, that's 4 extra FPs for that $1500 appliance, on top of the 1500 FPs you'd get anyway, making the total earned FPs for that appliance purchase 7500 FPs!:D

For extra simplicity, let's just say you and your wife make purchases of the same dollar amount, in the same way (non-RewardsBoost, regular spending; and RewardsBoost from a seller offering a multiplier of 4 spending).

In the gum scenario, you would each have 10,000 (initial bonus) + 1 (gum) + 250 (125 x 2 for CCL purchase) = 10,126 FP each, which would = 20,252 Total. This would get you each a statement credit of $101 each, totaling $202, towards that $250 qualifying purchase.

Now, in the appliance scenario, you would each have 10,000 (initial bonus) + 7500 (5 x $1500 appliance) + 250 (125 x 2 for CCL purchase) = 17750 FP each, which would = 35,500 Total. This would get you each a statement credit on a qualifying purchase of $177 each, totaling $354, which is more than that $250 purchase, so it would be paid back in total and you'd have FPs left over.

The reality of your purchase amount and that of your wife is most likely somewhere in the middle, between those two scenarios...so it all comes down to:

It depends.:cool:

I sure took a long time to get around to that lame conclusion, didn't I?:p

I hope this was of at least some help.:o

Coincidentally, just as I hit "Submit Reply" on that last long-winded post, an email popped into my inbox from Barclaycard RewardsBoost, entitled: "You have earned points through Barclaycard RewardsBoost". It's just the latest notification of this sort. They are sent every time my bonus RewardsBoost Funpoints actually post to my MC account.

This one was reporting my points earned from a Vitamin Shoppe online purchase I made a couple days ago (which has already arrived, and was shipped for free:)):

"$78.17 x 5 points/$ = 391 points"

I spent $78.17, earned 391 bonus FPs, which when combined with the regular FPs I got for this purchase (78), it means I got 469 points for that $78 worth of stuff I was going to buy from that retailer, anyway.:D

I am telling you all this in case you haven't yet caught on to how fast you can rack up the points with ReawrdsBoost.;)

I have gotten to the point now that I break my regular household and grocery shopping into two categories:

• perishables, which I drive to the brick-&-mortar store to purchase and for which I get just 1 point per $

(and)

• non-perishables which I buy online thru RewardsBoost, for the same or lower prices, always with free shipping, and for which I get usually between 3 and 7 points per $. And i didn't have to spend the gas money to go get these, either. Win/Win/Win situation for me.:D

Edited by ShakyBeef

Hello: I searched and couldn't find a specific answer; hopefully someone can help.

If we get the 10,000 bonus points with the first purchase, can we use the $100 towards our prepurchase of CHEERS?

So we get the card, use it to prepurchase CHEERS, then apply the $100 to that particular purchase.

I know it is for Carnival charges and for funshops, but I am not sure we can specifically use it for CHEERS.

Thanks everyone!

About 10 years ago we had a Carnival credit card and used it to pay for everything we could. While in the midst of saving points to use for a cruise the card company randomly decided to change their program and we were told to use it or loose. We didn't quite have enough points to do what we wanted and finally applied what we could and had a bunch of left over points.

After that debacle I decided never again would I get tied into one type of rewards card (carnival, Marriott, etc). So I have been using a cash back rewards card for all my purchases and guess what? I can buy airline tickets, cruise tickets, hotels anyone at any time on any cruise ship, airline or hotel. I could even use the rewards to buy anything I want!

I may not get quite as many points by going with a single type of card, but the flexibility to do what I want whe I want is worth it.

Wiz

About 10 years ago we had a Carnival credit card and used it to pay for everything we could. While in the midst of saving points to use for a cruise the card company randomly decided to change their program and we were told to use it or loose. We didn't quite have enough points to do what we wanted and finally applied what we could and had a bunch of left over points.

After that debacle I decided never again would I get tied into one type of rewards card (carnival, Marriott, etc). So I have been using a cash back rewards card for all my purchases and guess what? I can buy airline tickets, cruise tickets, hotels anyone at any time on any cruise ship, airline or hotel. I could even use the rewards to buy anything I want!

I may not get quite as many points by going with a single type of card, but the flexibility to do what I want whe I want is worth it.

Wiz

Hi Cmptrwiz, I'm confused - to what are you referring? The Barclay's Carnival FunPoints MC has never been "use it or lose it", unless you mean the 5 year expiration date that used to be in effect for the FunPoints? If you let your FPs accrue without touching them for 5 years, they would start expiring, starting with the oldest first, when they hit the 5-yr-old mark. That expiration date was in effect from the beginning of Barclay's relationship with Carnival MC. The only change that was made to that, was sometime recently, when the expiration date was done away with, so that would be the opposite of the situation you seem to be describing.:confused:

The only thing I can think you can be referring to is when the Carnival MC was the Carnival SeaMiles MC. Some years ago (ETA: on December 17th, 2009) Carnival and SeaMiles parted ways and the Carnival MC was taken over by Barclays. That's when it became the FunPoints card. But even when it changed over, I didn't lose my SeaMiles. They were converted to FunPoints, which turned out to be a much better reward system - easier to accrue points, and easier to redeem them.:)

I'm guessing that from the time period you mentioned, you're referring to something the SeaMiles card company did to you. Because 10 years ago, that's what the Carnival MC was. This is an entirely different card, different bank (ET Correct: I was wrong: Barclays was the issuing bank of the SeaMiles card, as well. Sorry about that.:o), different rewards program. It's not the same company that screwed you over.;) Edit: Oops, maybe it is same company, afterall, but it is definitely a different credit card.

Edited by ShakyBeef

Hello: I searched and couldn't find a specific answer; hopefully someone can help.

If we get the 10,000 bonus points with the first purchase, can we use the $100 towards our prepurchase of CHEERS?

So we get the card, use it to prepurchase CHEERS, then apply the $100 to that particular purchase.

I know it is for Carnival charges and for funshops, but I am not sure we can specifically use it for CHEERS.

Thanks everyone!

Hi, Pokergirl. Yes, you should be able to do that, no problem. The Cheers! purchase (and any other purchase made directly from Carnival before or during your cruise) will count as a "qualifying purchase". You'll have 180 days from when the purchase is made to "pay yourself back" for it with a statement credit. You can choose to use those 10,000 sign-up points towards your Cheers! package once both have posted to your account.:) And after using the MC to pay for Cheers!, you'll have even more than 10,000 FPs.

I am not sure, however, if you get the initial 10,000 FPs for a Carnival purchase - it's been a long time since I signed up for the card (and back then, I only got 5000 points (SeaMiles) to do so. So I am not familiar with the fine print on the current sign-up points. You might have to make a regular, non-Carnival purchase with it for those points to be awarded.

But once you've got the points, you will be able to use them for a statement credit your Cheers!:)

Those explanations were perfect! Thanks a bunch

Thank you for that wonderful explanation ShakyBeef. I just applied! Still paying for our October cruise, so between this and the AmEx offer I got, this has saved me a little bit of money.

You're very welcome. I'm happy to help. I really do enjoy sharing the tricks and perks of this card from which I've gotten so much. I'm just paying it forward.:)

But sometimes, I do think that Barclays should pay me for all this free advertising and customer service I do for them.:p Maybe throw me a bone in the form of some bonus FunPoints.:D:p

Hi Cmptrwiz, I'm confused - to what are you referring? The Barclay's Carnival FunPoints MC has never been "use it or lose it", unless you mean the 5 year expiration date that used to be in effect for the FunPoints? If you let your FPs accrue without touching them for 5 years, they would start expiring, starting with the oldest first, when they hit the 5-yr-old mark. That expiration date was in effect from the beginning of Barclay's relationship with Carnival MC. The only change that was made to that, was sometime recently, when the expiration date was done away with, so that would be the opposite of the situation you seem to be describing.:confused:

The only thing I can think you can be referring to is when the Carnival MC was the Carnival SeaMiles MC. Some years ago (ETA: on December 17th, 2009) Carnival and SeaMiles parted ways and the Carnival MC was taken over by Barclays. That's when it became the FunPoints card. But even when it changed over, I didn't lose my SeaMiles. They were converted to FunPoints, which turned out to be a much better reward system - easier to accrue points, and easier to redeem them.:)

I'm guessing that from the time period you mentioned, you're referring to something the SeaMiles card company did to you. Because 10 years ago, that's what the Carnival MC was. This is an entirely different card, different bank (ET Correct: I was wrong: Barclays was the issuing bank of the SeaMiles card, as well. Sorry about that.:o), different rewards program. It's not the same company that screwed you over.;) Edit: Oops, maybe it is same company, afterall, but it is definitely a different credit card.

It must of been longer than 10 years ago. Time has an ability to get away from you. I don't recall the card company but I believe it was the one before sea miles. We had extra points left over we couldn't use so anyone who was on our roll call who would give us their cabin number got a fruit basket compliments of us.

It must of been longer than 10 years ago. Time has an ability to get away from you. I don't recall the card company but I believe it was the one before sea miles. We had extra points left over we couldn't use so anyone who was on our roll call who would give us their cabin number got a fruit basket compliments of us.

Wow, before SeaMiles - that sure predates my experience with any Carnival card!:eek: That was nice of you to use your points for fruit baskets for everyone.:)