MITSUGIRLY'S birthday cruise on the JADE review/pictorial

mitsugirly

Then they had this game. I have no idea what it is called or even how you play.

P2200212%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari tried "playing" for awhile and we really didn't know what to do. I'm not sure if you try to get the round things as far as possible, maybe against the pegs? It also had sand in the side pockets for some reason. Is this normal? Someone enlighten me please. Maybe a table form of shuffleboard?

My understanding is this is a pay game. When you put the coins in the pegs in the middle go down and you slide the round things to the end. The "sand" helps the things slide.

This is from a press release on the NCL Gem:

https://www.ncl.com/csimages/903/994/1156964791999,20.txt

"The centerpiece of the Crystal Atrium is an original Dale Chihuly glass chandelier, mounted on the wall above the staircase landing. In addition, the staircase is flanked by four Emilio Robba floral sculptures that complement the Chihuly chandelier."

Also there is definitely a Chihuly on Pearl also:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/18999629650565719/

Wow, thanks for that link. Interesting information in it. It sounds like the Gem is a lot like the Pearl with a bowling alley and rock climbing.

I did see the part about it having the Chihuly on it. I remember taking pictures of the one on the Pearl and just knew right away it was a Chihuly. So these glass flowers on the Jade is probably that of Chihuly too? But no confirmation of it.

Here's my Chihuly picture from the pearl:

IMG_0875-L.jpg

The best thing to do, honestly, if you are a nurse, would be to take a medical Spanish course. Learning verb conjugation and grammar is all very good, but if you are trying to talk about tonsils or the liver or the bladder, you'd best know that they're "las amigdalas" or "el higado" or "la vesicula". Or that tosferina is pertussis, kwim? (I went to meet school/residency at UTMB- Galveston) Medical Spanish was probably the singular most helpful class I took that wasn't directly related to patient care. I can't conjugate verbs to the past imperfect subjunctive (I don't even know what that is in English!), but my patients parents don't care, because they can understand me. I have Spanish speaking MAs, but they don't know the medical terms, generally.

Oh, and yes, it's the cruise terminal in Galveston that is the cluster*!#%. Unless you know the island, it is HORRIBLY set up.

Oh wow, I guess I never thought of that (taking a medical Spanish class). Honestly I think I need to learn "normal" Spanish first in order to help my understanding. But I'm definitely going to consider this as well. My patients daughter (in her 70's) speaks fluent English and is my translator and also teaches me certain ways to say something. I have caught on to a lot of it and just automatically say it when I'm working with my patient. She has been most helpful. I also take the time to look up a lot of things when I'm at home so that I can communicate better.

The yellow chairs in Teppanyaki used to be in Cagney's on the Jade. Teppanyaki used to have red chairs like the ones in Jasmine Garden. I imagine those got worn out since Teppanyaki has always been full every single night of both cruises I was on Jade.

Yea, Teppanyaki always seem to be busy when we walked by in the evenings.

Wow, you've got a lot done today! :)

Starting mid-late April Getaway will be doing a western itinerary, ports are Roatan, Belize City (it was supposed to be Harvest Caye), Costa Maya & Cozumel.

Oh ok. I didn't realize they would be switching the itinerary. Cool. :D

To me, the one area of the Jade I disliked was the appearance of the Garden Cafe. I thought the tile work looked really dated and I was not a fan of the blue ceiling which made the ceiling feel even lower and I didn't like the faux clouds on the ceiling. I'm surprised that when the ship went through dry dock they didn't do something to update this area. Just putting down a more neutral floor like what is on the Epic, Getaway and Breakaway would really make it look much more modern and fresh.

BTW, the computers have always been super slow on Jade. I guess they didn't fix its in dry dock.

Yea, I did find that the internet on the ship was a little slow at times. However, I did discover during the daytime, it worked pretty good. I also felt that my personal computer or our phones definitely worked a lot faster than the computer they provided.

So excited for this review! My daughter is about the same age as Sakari so,it is always fun to see how much she enjoys the trips.

We are doing Getaway next year and have already reserved LFK based on your previous positive reviews. Can't wait to see what you thought this time around. Has there been any news about their removed animals?

The animals (sadly) have not been returned yet. They are still in a battle to have them returned and working with their lawyers. There are still plenty of animals there though. :)

Hi all!

mitsugirly ~ so happy to see you have another review well underway!:D Thanks so much

for getting to it so fast.

I'm really looking forward to your Breeze cruise too as I know how much you want to sail her & she's one of my favs.. Jade looks very colourful!!

~ Jo ~ :)

I seriously can't wait for the Breeze cruise Jo. I have been eyeballing her for years now and always knew that some day I would be on her. I'm so happy I get my chance.

My understanding is this is a pay game. When you put the coins in the pegs in the middle go down and you slide the round things to the end. The "sand" helps the things slide.

So you put coins in the pegs in the middle and then is it the goal to try to knock the coins off the pegs? Because you can't slide the round things to "the end" the pegs don't move and it stops them and keeps it on your own side. Just trying to figure this out since I have never seen it before.

So on with more pictures. I'm going to start with the pictures that located in the stairs. I always take a day to start at the top deck and walk my way down taking pictures of the paintings along the way. This is the part that my hubby just looks at me and knows what's in store. Sakari was with us this day and she didn't even ask questions. She just walked and stopped for each picture. LOL I have my family trained!

P2250788%20copy-L.jpg

P2250787%20copy-L.jpg

P2250790%20copy-L.jpg

P2250789%20copy-L.jpg

P2250791%20copy-L.jpg

P2250792%20copy-L.jpg

Wow, the Jade is very colourful. I have seen some pictures, the flowers in the atrium specifically, but, I think every colour has been used at some point ... and some think Carnival is colourful! I like the Hawaiian influences left on the Sky too.

I can see your confusion with the table top shuffleboard, but it does appear that you have to pay to play (the pegs would go down).

• Like 1

Now to the outside paintings on the ship deck 7. One thing NCL is known for is their artwork and paintings on the ship. I like to walk all the way around and see how each painting on the outside corresponds to what is located directly inside.

P2210307%20copy-L.jpg

P2210308%20copy-L.jpg

P2210309%20copy-L.jpg

P2210310%20copy-L.jpg

P2210311%20copy-L.jpg

P2210312%20copy-L.jpg

P2210325%20copy-L.jpg

P2210326-2%20copy-L.jpg

P2210327-2%20copy-L.jpg

P2210328-2%20copy-L.jpg

I have always noticed the constant cleaning and painting going on with every NCL ship. This company has always been one that takes great pride in trying to keep everything in tip top shape. We would see multiple people painting and varnishing the entire cruise.

P2210329%20copy-L.jpg

I never really understood why they never have many lounge chairs along this deck. It's the perfect place to sit and enjoy readings or snoozing or just staring out at the sea. There's always just a few chairs on this deck and they are always taken. We would only find them empty once and that's because we were still in port and everyone was not back on the ship yet.

P2210330%20copy-L.jpg

Just a few "extras". When you are a person that is into photography, you usually have a keen eye out for the usual or your mind comes up with ways to photograph something in a non-traditional way at times. You see the world in a different way and become amazed easily at the little things in life that some may not notice at all.

Well, I think I was having an "off" day or something and my love for photography has rubbed off on my hubby. He's actually the one who noticed these lights. I can't believe I didn't even notice them.

P2240439%20copy-L.jpg

P2240442%20copy-L.jpg

P2240440%20copy-L.jpg

P2240441%20copy-L.jpg

The normal elevators...

P2250817%20copy-L.jpg

They had a digital screen in each elevator. Someone once mentioned how the time was different in every one of them. LOL I hadn't noticed that either, but then again I have my watch on when cruising and use that for the time. So, I'm not really paying attention to time elsewhere. But after he said that, I did notice the time was different in several of them (different as in hours, not a few minutes off).

P2250848%20copy-L.jpg

While most of the Hawaii themed decor has remained, NCL has been slowly replacing the soft furnishings and carpets with the more generic fleet wide patterns and designs. More will be axed in the upcoming dry dock. Although it's not included here, the Haven area probably has changed the most since she sailed as Pride of Hawaii. The colorful hibiscus carpets and plastic plumerias and palm trees are long gone.

Am loving your review! My girls are going to love looking at your pictures as we plan our week on Jade. I think she is beautiful! Thank you for all the excellent photos! And, Happy Birthday!!!:)

P.S. I totally get your comments about the Haven. We travel in suites for one reason, because it is cost effective for us. For our up and coming cruise, there will be 6 of us. So, in looking at two rooms (and the promos that went with them) verses the Haven Family Suite and it's promotions...when I netted out the overall cost and value per person, it was so close in pricing that the Haven won by a land slide! I watched after booking and saw that the price has NEVER been as low as when we purchased, and all the awesome promos went away or were changed as well. We have a similar story when we travelled on Royal Caribbean. I feel so fortunate to get to experience the "suite life"...:cool:

Thanks again for your awesome review!