bring collector knives in?

mina

My husband collects fancy, artistic, knives. He wants to get a knife during our Norway cruise. We will be entering Britain through Southampton cruise port after this cruise and spending a few days in London. We know the knife will be kept by the cruise line and that we pick it up when disembarking (done it before). Will we have an issue bringing the knife into Britain? On the plane home to the USA it will be in a checked bag, so not an issue. Thank you!

Edited by mina

Check the banned knives in this list.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

If what he aims to buy is on the list you'd best get official advice. Best means from outside the UK is probably by e-mailing

postmaster@hampshire.pnn.police.uk

This is the police force with responsibility for Southampton. Obviously printing off a positive response is likely to avoid difficulties on the day.

The "good reasons" listed for carrying a knife don't actually include taking the thing home from where you bought it, but I reckon it's safe to assume that's a good reason - as long as hubby doesn't carry it in his waistband ;)

Remember to transfer it to checked luggage before your flight

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

It may or may not be a problem. It is possible to import antiques but there would be paperwork to complete in advance. He could walk through the green channel at customs without declaring it, but if he got caught.... not good at all.

I suggest that he should send it home in the post. That would avoid the problem altogether.

Check the banned knives in this list.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

If what he aims to buy is on the list you'd best get official advice. Best means from outside the UK is probably by e-mailing

postmaster@hampshire.pnn.police.uk

This is the police force with responsibility for Southampton. Obviously printing off a positive response is likely to avoid difficulties on the day.

The "good reasons" listed for carrying a knife don't actually include taking the thing home from where you bought it, but I reckon it's safe to assume that's a good reason - as long as hubby doesn't carry it in his waistband ;)

Remember to transfer it to checked luggage before your flight

I would not be so sure that carrying a knife through the UK to take it home would class as a good reason to carry it.

I have friends that are medieval reinactors that have to register their weapons for import, when they have bee to Crèche and Agincourt etc, but have had some trouble.

The best advice is as JB says to get official advice from the Police or the Border Force.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/262685/Travelling_to_the_UK.pdf

I would not be so sure that carrying a knife through the UK to take it home would class as a good reason to carry it.

I have friends that are medieval reinactors that have to register their weapons for import, when they have bee to Crèche and Agincourt etc, but have had some trouble.

The best advice is as JB says to get official advice from the Police or the Border Force.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/262685/Travelling_to_the_UK.pdf

Hi Hatter,

Won't disagree with you but we are talking about two issues, carrying a knife and carrying a banned knife.

Taking a knife to work if you're a chef, butcher, etc, or to a knife exhibition or a historic re-enactment are all valid reasons for carrying a knife, as per the list that I linked. And in those circumstances I suspect that folk with their heads screwed-on pack them in a toolbox etc in the boot (trunk), to reduce suspicion of carrying an offensive weapon.

A while back I bought a new carving knife from my local supermarket, put it in the boot of my car to take it home, still in its packaging. If the police had carried out a random stop, I would have no fear that I was breaking the law - "I've just bought it, look, here's the receipt from the store".

But keeping a knife knocking-around in the driver's door pocket or under the seat is bound to raise suspicion of law-breaking.

Carrying a banned knife, such as a flick-knife or some Samurai swords, is a different matter. That's when professional advice is needed, and I doubt there's a better source than the local police force.

Yes, their advice may well be that it's illegal to transport a banned knife from Norway to North America through the UK.

Thank you all very much. The govt site was exactly what I was looking for John. DH likes to collect dagger type knives with intricate carvings. As such, we will have it shipped home from Norway. No reason to take any chances. Thank you!

Hi Hatter,

Won't disagree with you but we are talking about two issues, carrying a knife and carrying a banned knife.

Taking a knife to work if you're a chef, butcher, etc, or to a knife exhibition or a historic re-enactment are all valid reasons for carrying a knife, as per the list that I linked. And in those circumstances I suspect that folk with their heads screwed-on pack them in a toolbox etc in the boot (trunk), to reduce suspicion of carrying an offensive weapon.

A while back I bought a new carving knife from my local supermarket, put it in the boot of my car to take it home, still in its packaging. If the police had carried out a random stop, I would have no fear that I was breaking the law - "I've just bought it, look, here's the receipt from the store".

But keeping a knife knocking-around in the driver's door pocket or under the seat is bound to raise suspicion of law-breaking.

Carrying a banned knife, such as a flick-knife or some Samurai swords, is a different matter. That's when professional advice is needed, and I doubt there's a better source than the local police force.

Yes, their advice may well be that it's illegal to transport a banned knife from Norway to North America through the UK.

Yes the chances are that the type of collectors knife that minas husband would be intrested in collecting would be in a category that means they are banned.