First time traveler to Canada & US

Pamela1

Hello, we are booked on the Mariner for the Montreal to Miami cruise in October. We have already booked the excursions only because my husband really wanted to do the Airboat adventure in Florida.

Does anyone have any ideas that we "should" be doing?

Many thanks in advance.

Pam.

Hello, we are booked on the Mariner for the Montreal to Miami cruise in October. We have already booked the excursions only because my husband really wanted to do the Airboat adventure in Florida.

Many thanks in advance.

Pam.

PS, we have nothing booked for Jacksonville, is there anything worth seeing there?

I don't find Jacksonville particularly interesting, but we do very much enjoy Amelia Island. Problem is that we like Amelia not for the town (which is where the excursion spends two hours), but for the beaches and for the many miles of nice woodsy bicycle paths among some quite handsome old trees. (This is, of course, "southern" woodsy, very different from "northern" woodsy; each has its splendid aspects.) Some people do enjoy Fernandina (the town), and seeing the fort is "ok," but nothing memorable imo.

I think that you'll find St Augustine probably more interesting than Amelia Island/Fernandina. There's a lot of history in that town and it's kind of a nice introduction to Florida (though it's nothing at all like Miami and other southern Florida towns.)

You've got some dandy ports on your itinerary, but, alas, I don't think that Jacksonville or its surrounds are all that interesting. On the other hand, groups like Road Scholar, Tauck and other tour groups often overnight in St Augustine, so others must find it worthwhile.

Perhaps try doing a "search" on the U.S. CC board to see what other cruisers have said about Jacksonville. Also Trip Advisor, under Jacksonville, "Things to do."

I hope that your intro to North America is an excellent one.

Edited by poss

I don't find Jacksonville particularly interesting, but we do very much enjoy Amelia Island. Problem is that we like Amelia not for the town (which is where the excursion spends two hours), but for the beaches and for the many miles of nice woodsy bicycle paths among some quite handsome old trees. (This is, of course, "southern" woodsy, very different from "northern" woodsy; each has its splendid aspects.) Some people do enjoy Fernandina (the town), and seeing the fort is "ok," but nothing memorable imo.

I think that you'll find St Augustine probably more interesting than Amelia Island/Fernandina. There's a lot of history in that town and it's kind of a nice introduction to Florida (though it's nothing at all like Miami and other southern Florida towns.)

You've got some dandy ports on your itinerary, but, alas, I don't think that Jacksonville or its surrounds are all that interesting. On the other hand, groups like Road Scholar, Tauck and other tour groups often overnight in St Augustine, so others must find it worthwhile.

Perhaps try doing a "search" on the U.S. CC board to see what other cruisers have said about Jacksonville. Also Trip Advisor, under Jacksonville, "Things to do."

I hope that your intro to North America is an excellent one.

Thank you so much for that information, sounds like it's the town for us in Jacksonville. Not sure what you meant regarding (woody) or (woody)

We love a forest walk and love to see interesting aspects of every place we visit.

It's difficult to try to gauge where to visit when on cruise and we have missed a few good ones because we didn't research it properly. Thanks again.

Pam.

Hi Pam,

We stayed on board the Florida day and just relaxed on the deck, but people who took the air boat trip said it was great. What other excursions have you booked at your other ports? Jean.

Jean, we have booked;

St Anne canyon and winery, Alexander Bell museum (i know!), nature tour and whale watching, ....actually shouldn't really be sharing this here but suffice to say we are really looking forward to the trip. Would be great to have a chat with you. Pam.

You will really enjoy the Alexander Graham Bell museum. Obviously it's special to us, and we have visited there on the two cruises we have taken in that area. Peggy's cove is a wonderful trip at Halifax too. Yes it would be good to chat but unable to give personal contacts on here.

Don't worry about asking for port info here, I can easily pass on our experience and am sure others will chime in too. I am sure you will really enjoy this cruise it's the best we have ever taken.:) Jean.

You will really enjoy the Alexander Graham Bell museum. Obviously it's special to us, and we have visited there on the two cruises we have taken in that area. Peggy's cove is a wonderful trip at Halifax too. Yes it would be good to chat but unable to give personal contacts on here.

Don't worry about asking for port info here, I can easily pass on our experience and am sure others will chime in too. I am sure you will really enjoy this cruise it's the best we have ever taken.:) Jean.

Thanks Jean, much appreciated. :)

Many thanks in advance.

Pam.

If you want any tips and/or ideas about what to do in New York City, please contact me and it would be my pleasure to offer you a glimpse of the best things to do in my hometown!

gnomie :)

If you want any tips and/or ideas about what to do in New York City, please contact me and it would be my pleasure to offer you a glimpse of the best things to do in my hometown!

Hiya, can't seem to get into your e-mail but thank you for the offer.

Pam.

Hi Pam. Somehow I managed to give you the wrong impression. Let me try again, and be sure to let me know if I'm still not clear enough.

Jacksonville, a city, has never had any appeal for us. There's a little bit of a waterfront there, with shops, etc. (we're not into shopping).

Amelia Island is a smallish island about 45 min. north of Jacksonville (attached by a bridge over a river, i.e. not a stand alone island that one takes a boat to). The little (very small) town on Amelia Island is called Fernandina. It has some mildly interesting architecture (I guess that some folks are quite fond of it), some shops and a couple of ok+ restaurants. When we go to Amelia Island, we spend no time in the town at all. We either spend a few nights in a hotel on the beach or rent a condo for 3-4 days. In the area where the beaches are (a Ritz Carlton, an Omni, etc.) there are a number of miles of very nice bike paths that wander all through the island. The "Plantation" part of the woods and beach is especially handsome (imo). By woods, I don't mean anything like deep, dense forests. But the trees are very handsome throughout the island-- especially the great old live oaks, as handsome as any tree I know. But reading the description of the Jacksonville and also the Amelia Island tours, neither of them includes those nice kinds of walks or bike rides that we love. And no beach time either.

St Augustine is quite historic. (You can read all about it.) If I'm remembering correctly, it's about the same distance from Jacksonville as Amelia Island is-- but it's south instead of north. No nature walks there either, but a bunch of sort of interesting history. (It ain't Boston or New York.)

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

p.s. We like Peggy's Cove too, not so much in the summer with the huge crowds, but October should be lovely.

Hiya, can't seem to get into your e-mail but thank you for the offer.

Pam.

At the bottom of this post, in the lower right hand corner is a link that states "contant Gnomie"

You should be able to click on it and send an email - I just tested it and it seems to work.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi Pam. Somehow I managed to give you the wrong impression. Let me try again, and be sure to let me know if I'm still not clear enough.

Jacksonville, a city, has never had any appeal for us. There's a little bit of a waterfront there, with shops, etc. (we're not into shopping).

Amelia Island is a smallish island about 45 min. north of Jacksonville (attached by a bridge over a river, i.e. not a stand alone island that one takes a boat to). The little (very small) town on Amelia Island is called Fernandina. It has some mildly interesting architecture (I guess that some folks are quite fond of it), some shops and a couple of ok+ restaurants. When we go to Amelia Island, we spend no time in the town at all. We either spend a few nights in a hotel on the beach or rent a condo for 3-4 days. In the area where the beaches are (a Ritz Carlton, an Omni, etc.) there are a number of miles of very nice bike paths that wander all through the island. The "Plantation" part of the woods and beach is especially handsome (imo). By woods, I don't mean anything like deep, dense forests. But the trees are very handsome throughout the island-- especially the great old live oaks, as handsome as any tree I know. But reading the description of the Jacksonville and also the Amelia Island tours, neither of them includes those nice kinds of walks or bike rides that we love. And no beach time either.

St Augustine is quite historic. (You can read all about it.) If I'm remembering correctly, it's about the same distance from Jacksonville as Amelia Island is-- but it's south instead of north. No nature walks there either, but a bunch of sort of interesting history. (It ain't Boston or New York.)

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

p.s. We like Peggy's Cove too, not so much in the summer with the huge crowds, but October should be lovely.

Hi Poss, sorry, i'm in a bit of a tizzy tonight, i tried to send the link of our proposed trips but somehow couldn't get it working.

Thank you so much for the information and the helpful advice. I will try and process it tomorrow and look at the links to see if there is something that resembles the tours you are chatting about.

Pam.

Hi Poss, sorry, i'm in a bit of a tizzy tonight, i tried to send the link of our proposed trips but somehow couldn't get it working.

Thank you so much for the information and the helpful advice. I will try and process it tomorrow and look at the links to see if there is something that resembles the tours you are chatting about.

Pam.

Made in Jacksonville

Light Activity /Walking

Jacksonville's Museums

Light Activity /WalkingRegent ChoiceMeal

Jacksonvilles Historical Riverside Homes

Seated TourRegent ChoiceMinimal Activity RequiredMeal

Historic Tour of St. Marys

Light Activity /Walking

Amelia Island Historical Tour

Light Activity /Walking

Historical St. Augustine

Light Activity /Walking

St. Augustine On Your Own

I think i have got the list of the tours but not the proper specs.

Pam.

At the bottom of this post, in the lower right hand corner is a link that states "contant Gnomie"

You should be able to click on it and send an email - I just tested it and it seems to work.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Sorry gnomie1, still can't seem to get it. :confused:

Definitely do the airboat tour. My husband thinks that is one of the best excursions we have ever done--loads of fun riding in the airboat plus you will see alligators for sure.

Amelia Island is very nice, but I am not sure I would do a shore excursion to there. Probably would go to St. Augustine.

I agree with others about Peggy's Cove--lovely little town and fun to walk around.