Opening the divider on balcony's between cabins?

MisfitThreads

We are heading out on the Gem on 4/21 and we'd like to open the balcony divider. I just called NCL to have it done prior to getting to our cabin but they said they no longer allow it. Now, in May of last year we were on the Breakaway and had 12 cabins in a row and had all dividers open. So, I pressed for info and she said the recent man overboard on another cruise line has prompted this new policy. I'm not sure I buy it.

Has anyone ever had experience with doing this on the Gem? I'm guessing we need to ask our steward? Or is there a tool my husband can bring to open it himself?

Thanks for any info!

We are heading out on the Gem on 4/21 and we'd like to open the balcony divider. I just called NCL to have it done prior to getting to our cabin but they said they no longer allow it. Now, in May of last year we were on the Breakaway and had 12 cabins in a row and had all dividers open. So, I pressed for info and she said the recent man overboard on another cruise line has prompted this new policy. I'm not sure I buy it.

Has anyone ever had experience with doing this on the Gem? I'm guessing we need to ask our steward? Or is there a tool my husband can bring to open it himself?

Thanks for any info!

It used to be left to the Captain's discretion as to how many and which dividers could be opened at any one time. This is a fire safety concern. A lot of Captains got flak for not allowing "enough" dividers to be opened, so mid-2015 corporate policy changed to a blanket not allowed. I had heard after this of some being allowed, but I believe it is still corporate policy not to allow this. If you open them yourselves, you may find yourself having an extended stay at a port of call, and the photo opportunity to watch the ship sail away.

I am truly surprised that you were allowed to have 10 dividers open in a row. That's almost a full fire zone worth of cabins, and in particular, the ones that border fire zones are never allowed open.

It has never been allowed on any of our cruises that I'm aware with the exception of some room stewards opening them on request during a port stop. However, it's that steward's responsibility to insure they're closed before sailing.

It used to be left to the Captain's discretion as to how many and which dividers could be opened at any one time. This is a fire safety concern. A lot of Captains got flak for not allowing "enough" dividers to be opened, so mid-2015 corporate policy changed to a blanket not allowed. I had heard after this of some being allowed, but I believe it is still corporate policy not to allow this. If you open them yourselves, you may find yourself having an extended stay at a port of call, and the photo opportunity to watch the ship sail away.

I am truly surprised that you were allowed to have 10 dividers open in a row. That's almost a full fire zone worth of cabins, and in particular, the ones that border fire zones are never allowed open.

Fire concern I can understand, I just wasn't buying the man overboard.

There was not a single issue with them opening the dividers. In fact, the steward called in a few people to help him do it quicker.

A few years back, my husband asked to have one open and the steward told him he could do it, so he left some sort of allen key (just a guess) so we could open and close it, which is why I asked about opening it myself.

It has never been allowed on any of our cruises that I'm aware with the exception of some room stewards opening them on request during a port stop. However, it's that steward's responsibility to insure they're closed before sailing.

I guess it really just depends on who you ask. I've never encountered a no when we asked about it.

• 2 weeks later...
If you bring a little screwdriver type tool you can do it yourself, it's really easy. We've never been yelled at for opening them.

Not a smart idea at all. It actually is against policy to do this and whiel they may allow you to if you ask, you do not want to do something that you already know is not allowed.

Thanks for any info!

12 cabins with open balcony dividers must have been fun for the cabins around you.:rolleyes:

12 cabins with open balcony dividers must have been fun for the cabins around you.:rolleyes:

I'm guessing that is suppose to be snarky?

We aren't huge partyer's and we had teenagers with us. My mother-in-law was at one end and would frequently walk down to check on the kids while we were all preparing for the evening - it was easier to do so in pajamas or robe than to get dressed and walk down the hallway to knock on the door. I'm not really sure why it would have been a problem for the cabins around us. We actually had a few complaints about a cabin down the hall that made tons of ridiculous noise in the middle of the night - but it was their vacation too, so we mainly bitched about it amongst ourselves.

Oh please if that were the case why does the shipyard make the so they open?

What do you think they just have extra hinges laying around they need to use?

Maybe somebody should tell the the resident know it all on some Internet forum insists the must be closed, so they just might as well skip the hinges.

I'm guessing that is suppose to be snarky?

We aren't huge partyer's and we had teenagers with us. My mother-in-law was at one end and would frequently walk down to check on the kids while we were all preparing for the evening - it was easier to do so in pajamas or robe than to get dressed and walk down the hallway to knock on the door. I'm not really sure why it would have been a problem for the cabins around us. We actually had a few complaints about a cabin down the hall that made tons of ridiculous noise in the middle of the night - but it was their vacation too, so we mainly bitched about it amongst ourselves.

So what are the hallway's made for skateboarding. People go to the buffet

in housecoats and to the pool.

The dividers are there for a reason and rules are made for a reason.

But you just go ahead and break them by taking a screw diver, sending the message to the kids that it's ok to break the rules. :rolleyes:

Oh please if that were the case why does the shipyard make the so they open?

What do you think they just have extra hinges laying around they need to use?

Maybe somebody should tell the the resident know it all on some Internet forum insists the must be closed, so they just might as well skip the hinges.

The doors are on hinges so that the workers don't have to risk their lives by doing maintenance.

Your reply is just ridiculous and clueless. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any info!

We used a small pair of scissors on the Epic. Insert in hole and open to line up with two notches and turn. We only opened when we were using the balcony. We had three cabins.

Not trying to fan the flames but....(I understand the fire hazzard part, sorry for the pun)

1. If the room attendant is willing to open the dividers when asked, what is the problem?

2. Why would other passengers have a problem with dividers being open?

I agree that passengers shouldn't use their own tools.

I've never had neighbors that I knew so this issue has never come up for me.

So what are the hallway's made for skateboarding. People go to the buffet

in housecoats and to the pool.

The dividers are there for a reason and rules are made for a reason.

But you just go ahead and break them by taking a screw diver, sending the message to the kids that it's ok to break the rules. :rolleyes:

First of all, we did not open all of the dividers - they were opened for us by a steward and some sort of mechanic. So, please stop your judging as to how I raise my children.

Secondly, just because some people find it ok to roam the ship in pajamas like it were their personal home, we do not.

Third, what is your problem? It was a simple question. I got my answer and I said I would ask at guest services.

Edited by MisfitThreads

Interesting thread...never realized there was so much controversy surrounding he dividers.

I've never had a need to open the divider on previous cruises; however, on every cruise I've been on I've seen many dividers opened between balconies and not just while in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The doors are on hinges so that the workers don't have to risk their lives by doing maintenance.

Your reply is just ridiculous and clueless. :rolleyes:

Actually, the dividers are hinged because of a SOLAS requirement created after the Star Princess fire 10 years ago, where the crew were hampered in fighting the fire because the dividers didn't open.