Any Idea What Carnival Did With Their Old "Ghost Lady" Chargers Since American Table?

ShakyBeef

So here's an off-the-wall question... Does anyone have any idea what Carnival might have done with all those old chargers that they used to use in the MDR, before the American Table changeover? The ones that came in several colour schemes, but all had the same blurry images of (it looked like) Victorian ladies on them, with gold accents? I called them the Ghost Lady Plates, because the image of the lady looked kinda ghostly, and even mildly Titanic-esque.

Anyway, my real question is, how could I get my hands on some of those chargers? I wish I knew of somewhere I could buy them. I'd love to have a set for old times' sake. (As a bonus, they wouldn't look out of place in my late-1800's house.:))

I know this is a very unlikely request, but if anyone knows whom I might contact to try to buy some of these used plates from Carnival, or even the make of the plates so that I could try to track them down, new or used, elsewhere, I would be very grateful.:o

Thank you!:)

(See the bit of the "Ghost Lady" on the left of the charger?)

192213.jpg

ETA: I've done some digging elsewhere online, and it looks like the maker might be Vertex? And the design, "Euro"? But still having no luck finding this pattern anywhere...

Cruise on a ship that does not have the table yet.

I asked on John Heald's page about them. One of his assistants replied that they were donated to charity when a ship changed to American Table.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Thanks, and well, darn. I may not ever get my hands on some, then. I don't see myself cruising any other Carnival ship but Pride (unless they replace Pride with a different ship in Baltimore), so I guess I'm not likely to get any.:(

Thanks, and well, darn. I may not ever get my hands on some, then. I don't see myself cruising any other Carnival ship but Pride (unless they replace Pride with a different ship in Baltimore), so I guess I'm not likely to get any.:(

I sent you a friend request... You can also contact me at poz222@aol.com I may be able to help u out...

Why are they called " CHARGERS"...?

Cuz they are flat, like the San Diego CHARGERS play most times??

Or, cuz they are "GHOSTLY " , again, much as the CHARGERS play football..DEAD??

Seriously, help me out, why are they called CHARGERS

"A charger (or service plate) is a purely decorative oversize plate used to add texture, color, or pattern to the table. Chargers may be made of china, pewter, brass -- even straw or papier-mache. Food is never served directly on a charger, but a first-course soup bowl or salad plate can be set on top of it."

"charg·er2

ˈCHärjər/

noun

noun: charger; plural noun: chargers; noun: charger plate; plural noun: charger plates

1. a large, flat dish; a platter.

Origin

Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French chargeour, from chargier ‘to load,’ from late Latin carricare, carcare ‘to load’ (see charge)."

Hope this helps.:)

Edited by ShakyBeef

Maybe contact the Maitre d' of the ships that have switched and ask if they know where their chargers went?

or contact the Maitre d' of the next ship about to switch to the AT, and see if they can allow you to purchase some before they send them off?

email for the Maitre d' is XXmaitred@carnival.com where xx = first two letters of the ship's name.

I like this thread as I had no idea what a "charger" was before. Some of you are really fancy! :)

Me too! I was thinking phone charger or something :p.

So "Food is never served directly on a charger". Sometimes I put bread on the charger, is that wrong?

I like this thread as I had no idea what a "charger" was before. Some of you are really fancy! :)

Really, I'm sooooo not fancy.:o:p I just know a lot of words, I guess.:o

Me too! I was thinking phone charger or something :p.

So "Food is never served directly on a charger". Sometimes I put bread on the charger, is that wrong?

Yes, strictly speaking, this would be wrong by the rules of etiquette.:)

Not sure if you're still looking for the plates or not. We just got off the Liberty which has the American Table so they don't use those plates in the dining room. But we did the Behind the Fun tour and they still have the ghost plates in the Captain's dining area. So it's possible that your ship would have some in the back.

I noticed them too and thought of this thread :D I wonder if a person could find a way to get their hands on them?

Probably in the Miami area :-)

Probably so.

Maybe some will end up on Ebay.

I have seen them unloading mattresses on some island and figured those were for some worthy cause.

But I can't really see charities in the Caribbean needing chargers.

You could use them for platters, but I don't know what else.

• 1 month later...

I was just on the Legend from Hawaii and they use the "ghost charger

" plates. They had them in Black and Orange. I asked the waiters and the maitre d' if they knew how somebody could get one and neither of them knew.

They call them "show plates" not chargers and the maitre d' told me they never put food on them because it is not safe because the plates are leaded.

black.jpg.fb92b828e98007ce676c491e457fd845.jpg

Orange.jpg.1340f5f5500f402341fe1dd333bbca5a.jpg

Back.jpg.c5507e0d72c84297cf733b7032e31958.jpg