Bodrum - Museum of Underwater Archaeology

We will be in Bodrum on a Monday (Celebrity Reflection, May 23).

The museum's website says it is closed on Mondays. The ship has a shore excursion to St Peter's Castle on this day so does that mean that St Peter's is open and the museum is closed?

Also, is there still a free ferry to the castle from where the ship is docked?

I'm afraid it means that both the Castle and the Museum are closed on Mondays. The Museum is housed in Castle grounds and is part of the compound. Such a shame! Both are very memorable places to visit. I think that means that you will have to take another cruise in the future on a different day of the week so you can take full advantage of beautiful Bodrum. ;)

• 1 month later...

OP I too am on your cruise. I understand what you are trying to ask, if the museum and castle are open for the ship tours will they make an exception and open for the general public. I've emailed them with this very question and will let you know if they answer.

OP I too am on your cruise. I understand what you are trying to ask, if the museum and castle are open for the ship tours will they make an exception and open for the general public. I've emailed them with this very question and will let you know if they answer.

I emailed them (bodrum-museum.com) a couple of weeks ago and never received a response.

• 3 weeks later...

kokopelli and DebbieMacG,

I believe you are aboard the Reflection right now. Hope you are having a wonderful cruise! If you have the opportunity when you get home, please let us know whether you were able to tour the castle/museum next Monday. Thanks!

Hi!

I'll be on the Reflection too, in Bodrum on Monday 13th June....

does any one know if when there is a cruise ship or during the summer season, the sites are open?

I believe the sites (archeological and Castle) are really worth a visit.... would be frustrating not to have a great day there...

Thanks for your help

jacques O, in paris

We were on Reflection 25th April. The day before Bodrum I was at the tour booking desk for something else but asked about the museum because I tad seen this thread before we sailed.

The girl told me that they knew the museum was closed on a Monday but they were still selling the tour to visit. She assumed it was open for privately arranged tours but not for individuals just turning up.

• 3 months later...
Can anyone who has been on a cruise tour of the Castle and Museum on a Monday verify if it is indeed open for cruise tours? The Celebrity rep told me it would be, but I'd like to double check. Thank you!

Yes, would love to hear more back as to whether on their "closed to the general public" days such as Monday that ship tours had special arrangements to see and visit there. We loved visiting there and seeing the variety of attractions and historic items at this great location.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 217,186 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is a view of Bodrum Castle. Also called the Castle of St. Peter, it was built from 1402 by the Knights Hospitaller during the crusades of the middle ages and is considered the most prominent landmark in Bodrum. It operates as a museum, with the focus on the Museum of Underwater Archaeology. Its collection has finds from underwater excavations along the Turkish coast including the famous Uluburun Shipwreck. This was one of the earliest and richest wrecks discovered. This castle is considered one of the world's best preserved monuments dating back to medieval times.:

BodrumCastle.jpg

As a follow-up, here is more on the Bodrum Castle or Castle of St. Peter. Hope these visuals are either a good preview for what is there and/or bringing back nice memories for those who have been able to visit there previously.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 19,574 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Starting with where we entered this museum/castle, these visuals offer just a small sampling for the wide variety of interesting sights and experiences here. Even some animals and birds, here. Lots of unique history, beautiful gardens, lots of character, etc. The fifth picture is a view from the castle walls out towards the water and city areas. The final view is from a hillside resort looking towards where the castle sits with our cruise ship shown on the left as it is anchored.:

TravelSept161_zpsx0kccgqw.jpg

TravelSept162_zpsxrjrgbsf.jpg

TravelSept163_zpsnjb2igro.jpg

TravelSept165_zps5eonqhcc.jpg

TravelSept164_zpsrdlpllpt.jpg

TravelSept166_zpsh3tlny7e.jpg

Can anyone who has been on a cruise tour of the Castle and Museum on a Monday verify if it is indeed open for cruise tours? The Celebrity rep told me it would be, but I'd like to double check. Thank you!

sedaniel: We went in June 2016 and the castle was definitely open on Monday. I can't speak to any museums as we just went to the castle and then walked around and had some lunch and drinks on the water. It's a beautiful place to visit - the food is great!

Great to get this above confirmation on another thread that this prime location is open on Monday for cruise ship visitors. Makes sense that they would be smart in being open and welcoming key cruise visitors to this charming resort/port town at their top attraction.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites' date=' look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at [b']62,923 views[/b].

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226