Cruising to Alaska on Disney

xanni48

Has anyone here cruised to Alaska on Disney? Or even on another line? I'm considering booking a cruise to Alaska and wondering what to expect. Kind of a dumb question, but is it too cold to use the pools? If you can't lay out by the pool (pools and beaches are my favorite parts of cruising!) then what do you do?

And is there enough time once you're actually in Alaska to see and enjoy it? I believe some other lines offer combo packages (where you spend some additional time at the destination) so I'm wondering if that's a better option than Disney.

I know this is a very popular cruise destination, so I'm sure it's great. I'm just having some trouble figuring out if it's for me.

Thanks for your advice!

I've done the cruise in June and it was too cold for pools. The first couple of days (sea days) were cold, rainy and windy. Once in a while, we'd walk the top deck and nobody else was up there. The cove cafe was packed the whole time and it was very difficult to find a seat.

It was a very nice cruise, though. The naturalist on board was great and I went to a couple of his talks. The scenery of Tracy Arm/inside passage was worth the entire cruise.

I've seen pics of trip reports from other people who went in August and they did use the pools. There wasn't much snow/ice in their pictures and I wouldn't have known they were in Alaska if it wasn't an Alaskan trip report.

Princess has cruise/land tours. I would expect that Holland would, too. I've read here that both of those are a much older crowd in general. Look at Norweigan, too. They seem like a good line for a relaxed, eat dinner whenever you want line.

We actually did this cruise on Princess, three years ago in June. We chose Princess over DCL because it was one way southbound from Whittier to Vancouver, which allowed us to spend some time in Anchorage beforehand and Vancouver post cruise. And we got to see more glaciers, visiting Glacier Bay and the Hubbard Glacier.

An Alaskan cruise is a different type of cruise than a Caribbean cruise. It's more about the wildlife and nature and the ports. The weather is unpredictable, even in July and August. We were very lucky in early June and had perfect weather until we hit Ketchikan, where it rained a bit. Princess has one advantage in that it has one covered pool, but I still remember watching movies under the stars with our friends, covered in blankets, but it was still loads of fun.

We have done Alaska twice on Disney, and will do it again either on Princess or again on Disney. Princess has more itinerary variety and has great reviews on its Alaskan cruises. Having said that, short of seeing Norway and Denmark on last year's transatlantic cruise with Disney, Alaska is one of our favorite cruises on Disney. The majestic beauty of Alaska is breathtaking. We have seen bald eagles, whales and porpoises in abundance. All of the ports are just charming, and the excursions are extra special. Our favorite all time excursion is the dog sledding out of Skagway. The journey up Tracey Arm (if it isn't fogged up) is terrific - you want to be up on deck early to get a good spot and there is narration by a nature/wildlife expert. On one cruise we couldn't get up Tracey Arm but the Captain took the ship up another Arm to a different glacier. I don't ever recall using the pool on this cruise. I might have mellowed out in a hot tub once or twice. We went once in June, and once in early August. It was cool in June and unusually warm on our early August cruise. Be prepared for cold weather and have layers. We use Northface tri-climate gear with scarf and a beanie for the ears. Especially needed early on the day up the arm, and you may later shed layers. It came in handy on the Transatlantic as well.

We did Alaska on Celebrity--same ports as the Wonder plus one extra for a little over half the cost. The Infinity has a covered pool which is normally adult only, but for this cruise was open to families about 3 hours each day. As on the Wonder, all pools were heated, but the only one that was comfortable was the one with the clear cover. It was nice because you could sit in the hot tub and see some of the scenery.

As noted, Alaska cruises are about wildlife and scenery, not pools. It was a great cruise. We did our excursions privately and had amazing tours, whale watching, etc. As on most cruises, there was a great naturalist on board. He did lectures every sea day...maybe some port days, but we didn't attend then. Talked about history, ports, wildlife, saving environment (but not to the point of driving us crazy), etc. The "characters" on the Infinity were pathetic. They had one out at each port--a bear, and eagle, etc. THey looked like they were wearing used bathroom rugs. Really sad looking. I had to laugh thinking of Minnie in her winter garb. Food was the best we ever had on a cruise. Lots of options, all good tasted amazing.

Family would like to do another Alaska cruise. We were there at the very end of August. The weather was great.

Edited by moki'smommy

Has anyone here cruised to Alaska on Disney? Or even on another line? I'm considering booking a cruise to Alaska and wondering what to expect. Kind of a dumb question, but is it too cold to use the pools? If you can't lay out by the pool (pools and beaches are my favorite parts of cruising!) then what do you do?

And is there enough time once you're actually in Alaska to see and enjoy it? I believe some other lines offer combo packages (where you spend some additional time at the destination) so I'm wondering if that's a better option than Disney.

I've done the trip with DCL and HAL.... Thoughts...
  • Disney has one major weakness..... no Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm features wildlife, but I find Sawyer to be limiting. If not Holland America, Princess would be my second choice for Alaska. HAL/Princess offers a combo side excursion to Tracy Arm on some Glacier Bay sailings.
  • How much is that cruise with Disney? How much would you save sailing with HAL or Princess the same week? There's only so much pixie dust I can snort.
  • Do you like pictures with the Disney characters? Got to get a picture with the Princesses!
  • Love the Disney internet!
  • Love the Disney movies!
  • Disney only offers a 7 day return... other cruise lines offer one ways, different ports, and HAL has a Yukon option where you travel over land and air to Anchorage.
  • there is never enough time at the ports... you often find repeat cruisers in Alaska.

In addition to cruise lines... seriously consider which MONTH you plan to be sailing.

• May and September is cheaper, but colder and some excursions are not running
  • May can mean ice congestion to some glacier viewing sites like Tracy Arm/Sawyer
  • May to July is dryer in Alaska, August will see more rain and September will be wettest. If too stormy to dock.... cruise ships will skip the port.
  • July to August will be dryer in Cascadia
  • May to August will give you more day light
  • August and September offer better wildlife opportunities
  • I like late-July for weather compromise and wildlife. It's also priced higher.
  • some ports offer season opportunities like fireworks and pride celebrations, but can also mean congestion.
  • http://www.alaska.org/advice/best-time-to-visit-alaska => it recommends mid-June to mid-July!

[YOUTUBE]CZzl0LOjRvY[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]OMzReVZn__M[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Which side faces the glacier in Tracey Arm? I was thinking about having the Couples Choice, The Spa villas are on the starboard side. It would be nice to be in the hot tub facing the glaciers.

The ship rotates several times, so all sides get a view. It's not just limited to one side.

We just booked on on Celebrityfor July, I was not expecting to use the pools but maybe the hot tub. We thought about booking on Disney but we aren't taking the kids so felt guilty !

Enjoy the salmon. It was the best I've ever tasted. Also, there is a "healthy food" outlet (Aqua something?) in the area by the adult pool that does amazing lunch selections. The hot items will involve a 5 minute wait; cold items are available instantly. And there is a "munchie" place similar to the Cove Cafe but better. The almond croissants are great. The buffet is a lot more varied than DCL. The ice cream outlet is also great--wide variety of flavors, changes regularly (when they empty a container it is often replaced with a different flavor) BUT they don't hold true to their stated hours. When they say 10 pm, they mean that they will close 10-15 minutes before that so they will be cleaned up and out of there by 10! The first time we thought it was a fluke. The second time, we realized this was their policy.

Thank You Thank You Thank You!

This is so much information I don't know where to start. We were thinking Disney because, well, it's Disney! And with kids Disney is always more fun.

But, it's also more expensive! Sounds like I might be able to put that money to better use.

Thanks again. This was really helpful!

Thank You Thank You Thank You!

This is so much information I don't know where to start. We were thinking Disney because, well, it's Disney! And with kids Disney is always more fun.

But, it's also more expensive! Sounds like I might be able to put that money to better use.

Thanks again. This was really helpful!

After many years of being "just DCL," we have been branching out. We've done 3 lines in addition to DCL. We've found that each line has some things we like better than the way the others do it and some things we don't like as much. DCL definitely has the prettiest ship overall and the nicest cabins. Is that worth double or more on the prices? We've decided that on a cruise that is primarily focused on the ports, DCL is certainly not worth the money to us. We'd rather do more/different excursions than paying for a nicer cabin. We also enjoy that other lines can get us places that DCL doesn't go.

Enjoy your cruise--whatever you decide.

We went last May on Celebrity Solstice and had a wonderful time. The weather was warmer in Alaska than at home in Denver that week. We did use the hot tubs -the outdoor one was way too cold but the indoor ones in the solarium were perfect. I have always loved the outdoor pools and music in the Caribbean and Mexico but this was a very different experience. There were a lot of nature talks and staring at the scenery and it was PERFECT. I really can't wait to do Alaska again--and we may on Disney this time.

You can order DVD's of the nature guide talks from Brent Nixon (google) and you can sort of get a feel for how the talks go but it is nothing compared to BEING there and hearing them.

I'm late to the party, but I'll chime in since I have done Alaska on both DCL and HAL. For me, the price premium for DCL is worth it if you have kids that will really enjoy the Disney aspect of things. For us, our son was not potty-trained, so DCL was the only line where he could get kids club time (because DCL has open houses where parents and kids do the club together). They also had some special toddler and preschooler activities and extra fun features in the dining room that held his interest such as the show in Animators Palate. There is also a splash area that kids in swim diapers can use.

Our ocean view room on DCL was also ideal for families with young kids. We were able to put our son down to nap in the room and still enjoy the amazing views from our giant porthole.

Regarding Glacier Bay vs. Tracey Arm, I found both to be amazing. One versus the other wouldn't be a deciding factor for me (easy for me to say having seen both ;))

My husband and I have talked about doing Alaska again when our son is older. If we do, we would probably do Princess or HAL and combine it with a land tour.

Edited by bcakes

I'll add to the discussion here. We did DCL on Alaska and it was our first DCL cruise. It was a great vacation but DCL didn't live up to the hype, but Alaska did not disappoint. We really tried to love DCL but there were just too many misses. To DCL credit, that was their maiden year to Alaska and they have changed some things to make it more passenger friendly and appropriate for Alaska, but other lines have ships that are built better for the colder weather. More indoor and covered areas, etc. I've never sailed Princess, but I've heard that their Alaska land and sea vacations are outstanding. Check them out.

One recommendation that I can't repeat often enough is to get a balcony cabin, no matter which line you are sailing on. It is a MUST for Alaska. Almost no matter where you are on the cruise there is something to see. You are never far from land or wildlife. We enjoyed being out on the balcony and not fighting crowds up on deck during glacier day. If you are doing Tracy Arm, it is an out and back so whatever you missed on one side of the ship on the way in, you will catch when you come back out. Pay the money and get the balcony.

I'll add to the discussion here. We did DCL on Alaska and it was our first DCL cruise. It was a great vacation but DCL didn't live up to the hype, but Alaska did not disappoint. We really tried to love DCL but there were just too many misses. To DCL credit, that was their maiden year to Alaska and they have changed some things to make it more passenger friendly and appropriate for Alaska, but other lines have ships that are built better for the colder weather. More indoor and covered areas, etc. I've never sailed Princess, but I've heard that their Alaska land and sea vacations are outstanding. Check them out.

One recommendation that I can't repeat often enough is to get a balcony cabin, no matter which line you are sailing on. It is a MUST for Alaska. Almost no matter where you are on the cruise there is something to see. You are never far from land or wildlife. We enjoyed being out on the balcony and not fighting crowds up on deck during glacier day. If you are doing Tracy Arm, it is an out and back so whatever you missed on one side of the ship on the way in, you will catch when you come back out. Pay the money and get the balcony.

I have heard complaints from people that went the first year (2011?)but not since then. I suspect it was the learning year.

We would have gotten a balcony but hte price difference was double from the delux interior room.

I hope when the Wonder goes in to the long dry dock DCL figures out a way to put a retractable bubble over the pool.

We have done Alaska (Land and cruise) on Princess. As much I as dislike princess, I would have to say them or HAL are probably your best options for the land/sea portions. But, I have not tried Celebrity. If Alaska is a once in a lifetime trip, you have to see Glacier Bay. There are just no words. Alaska is just amazing and gorgeous, and really one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Plus, the wildlife that thrives there. Not to mention us humans.

We started out our tour in Fairbanks and worked southward towards Anchorage/Whittier. So we were able to see Denali, ride the train, etc. Then we did the 7 nights on the ship from Whittier to Vancouver. It was amazing. DM and I are really wanting to go again, but my sister's partner does not like the cold and with limited vacation time, heat has won out. So far, we are wearing her down. However, due to no Glacier Bay on DCL, Disney is out for us. Plus, I am not sure how DCL is combining land options, or if they are outside of ABD. I love Disney, but some of those ABD prices...

We would have gotten a balcony but hte price difference was double from the delux interior room.

We were worried about not having a balcony, but I found that the porthole window in our cabin was almost as good. We still had almost floor to ceiling views of what we were sailing past. And we never had any trouble finding good viewing space out on the decks when we wanted to be outside.

We were worried about not having a balcony, but I found that the porthole window in our cabin was almost as good. We still had almost floor to ceiling views of what we were sailing past. And we never had any trouble finding good viewing space out on the decks when we wanted to be outside.

This is consistent with our experience. Sure, I like a balcony when I have one, but sometimes the pricing is ridiculous. There are plenty of public spaces to enjoy, and Alaska really needs the 360 degree view. A balcony won't give that!