Communication onboard, texting, app, cost?!

Sweetness22

We used the Hub App on the Sunshine to keep in touch. I think that there may have been some technical issues on our cruise, as the app was constantly reporting that features were unavailable, but working later on, but it also failed to deliver a large number of text messages. We even chatted across the table from one another and would not see messages get delivered.

The Hub App is free. You will be charged $5 for each person who wishes to use the chat feature of the hub app.

The following is from the FAQ on Carnival's website:

Where do the features of the app work?

On board the Carnival Breeze, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Glory, Carnival Sunshine and Carnival Vista.

More info:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/~/carnivals-wi-fi-service-and-hub-app

Honestly, I thought it would be a problem not being able to communicate on the ship, but we did just fine. Our son (who is 12) would check in on occasion (he was usually with the Circle C club anyway, if he wasn't with us). And my husband would wander off while I sat by the pool. We got into a routine pretty quick and never really missed anything or anyone. It seems like the ships are so big, and yet we were able to figure out where others were at.

While using your cell phone at sea is ridiculously expensive, most of the ports are covered under T-Mobile's free international roaming plan. Texts and data (albeit very slow data) is free with your account. This will be an added bonus for us so we can send email and keep in touch while at port.

Edited by enki

Bring a magnetic dry erase board. You can get one pretty cheap at Staples. Walls are all magnetic, so you can put it up anywhere in the cabin. We usually put it on the wall next to the door as you enter the cabin. It's easy to leave messages, not only for family but also for steward.

My family has a very simple rule,

We meet for dinner. otherwise. have fun.

Granted, I'm the youngest at 32

Phones go in the safe, computers and tablets stay home, we buy the actual books we may want to read. It's the only 7 days a year I don't have my phones going off from work

While using your cell phone at sea is ridiculously expensive, most of the ports are covered under T-Mobile's free international roaming plan. Texts and data (albeit very slow data) is free with your account. This will be an added bonus for us so we can send email and keep in touch while at port.

I'm interested to know what dollar amount would be considered "ridiculously expensive"? My wife and I have used our cell phones while at sea many times....maybe it's a lower number for us or something...

we used the hub app last week along with the $5/per device chat service. It was OK but not reliable. You cannot close the app and have it deliver messages and even when everyone had it opened, it would time out. I would say about 70% of our messages were delivered. When they were delivered, they were usually delivered 3 times. We were traveling with another family so using it for what each other was doing and also our littles had it so they could tell us if they wanted us to come check them out of camp ocean.